Ten News First Content and Appearance

That is a great exclusive.

2 Likes

Because they’ve added more resources and employed a number of new staff to get this new local bulletin to air. Hence why it wasn’t done 2 years ago.

Adelaide Video

7 Likes

“Stay away from Henley Square tonight”
“I will be”
So are they trying to make it sound like they are all in Adelaide?

Tiff needs a better voiceover for the photo section.

I like how they have time for a 2-3 minute interview, which is something that you really don’t see on the other networks. Also liked how they were able to cross india with ESPN crickinfo it allows for a more in depth conversation again something that you don’t see on the commercial networks.

2 Likes

I think there would be good reason to invest in a physical set and it wouldn’t take much investment if this Adelaide experiment is a success. As good as this may look, it’s very simple and in the long run it will feel stale quickly with the one angle.
There is an argument as to why bother, but if that was the case then every network would be presenting their news’s in front of a green screen and the long no investment in it.

However, ABC Melbourne is a good example of this, where they presented it infront of a cardboard set essentially for years, then green screen and finally a physical set was invested in to exchange the image as well as the storytelling,

If the News director at 10 wants the bulletin to be seen as a legitimate service and not seen like it’s a cupboard broadcast, then they should consider a set and proper presentation. You could literally grab a few of the screens used by The Project from the “Sydney set” , a couple of light boxes and use the small Sydney replica desk used in Melbourne for thr Melb Cup, then hey presto you have a set. I do hope they go down this path and even if possible figure a way to reainstane Brisbane.

1 Like

Melbourne video

6 Likes

Melbourne is clearly the shining star out of all the 10 bulletins… hopefully Sydney/Brisbane will be back to normal in the near future. I would say it’s only a matter of time.

2 Likes

Imo it’s a hard choice between Perth and Melbourne.
Melbourne is fully localised, but Perth gets 7 nights of local news, a great set and familiar presenters albeit being produced interstate

6 Likes

I was mostly referring to the weekday bulletins.

1 Like

Strangely it does seem like Sydney has been neglected. Apart from Josh Holt, Sandra Sully, Hugh Rimington and Charlotte Goodlett who are great they really have no presenting depth and little-known reporters. I think you’ll see Tiff, Max and Jayde used in National bulletins pretty soon. They all look and sound great.

I beg to differ. They’ve also got the likes of Narelda Jacobs, Chris Bath (on a freelance basis), Lachlan Kennedy, Ursula Heger etc who are more than capable. Yes they’ve lost quite a few like Tarsh Belling but otherwise they’ve still got some depth.

2 Likes

Narelda isn’t much help for 5pm news now. But yes, Lachlan and Ursula are top reporters/presenters too. Lachlan a good guy too!

While a physical desk and a bit of a studio would be nice extra touch, honestly, I think they pull it off very well without it. There are enough live crosses and variety of presentation in the bulletin to keep it interesting without focusing on a studio/desk though I do find no desk shot in the bulletin opener a little weird.

Also, perhaps the green screen set up will allow them to replicate presentation in Adelaide when/if Kate happens to be presenting there. Not sure what they’d do with Max in that situation though - send him to present sport on location somewhere perhaps.

On a general note - great to see the Adelaide team both presenters and behind the scenes still have it - what an easy to watch and enjoyable bulletin tonight compared to the past few years. I initially wasn’t convinced about Tiffany as a choice of host but her on location weather really makes the bulletin.

1000 times better, more watchable product now for both Adelaide and Melbourne bulletins… hopefully it translates into results for them.

7 Likes

Only speculation, but I can see Kate returning to Adelaide at some point in the future with her husband, Its more about 10 investing and upgrading the facility there. As someone pointed out above, its estimated to be 100/200k investment to return full presentation back locally.

Hopefully Brisbane will be the networks next focus. Especially with the Olympics.

Neither less, well done 10 for the improvement in Melbourne and Adelaide last night.

This was to do with upgrading the existing Brisbane studio which I assume is still filled with aging equipment

2 Likes

Ratings - Melbourne was the big winner - Adelaide not so much.

5 Likes

So many people banging on about Adelaide needing a local edition and then when they get one, the ratings drop. Maybe they would be prefer a national or combined Melbourne/Adelaide edition. :wink:

Dude… it’s the first night… :roll_eyes:

5 Likes