Ten News First Content and Appearance

A serious news bulletin on 10 at 8am will provide a good point of difference to Sunrise and Today who start to turn light hearted with content after 8am.

8 Likes

I don’t think they need to. Their graphics are fine. Content and resources on the other hand……

I think they need to do the Sunrise approach and build their morning audience with a straight news bulletin for many years before they start to ‘lighten’ it up a little with some light entertainment.

7 Likes

Here we go again. Yesterday’s news this morning, no doubt. It’ll be gone by Christmas.

21 Likes

10 barley have any resources and I guess it will be done minimum staff.

1 Like

It’s a start but I guess this is how they do things on the cheap within the existing budget. By 8am they have a few reporters in the field and they and cross to US and Europe for any breaking news. It’s 21 minutes of content they have to come up with. Not too hard. It’s a shame it’s only 30 mins. They’re not adding to any locally produced hours because studio 10 is reduced.

7 Likes

8am is useless to most workers though. If you haven’t left for work already you’re likely in the shower or dropping the kids off to school.

It needs to be earlier.

6 Likes

Keep in mind that they are already part of the pool arrangements for overnight camera operators.

At least they were…

What’s the point really?

The people that choose 10 at 8am (for a studio 10) probably won’t want Sunrise or Today or News Breakfast. They are choosing Studio 10 at 8am to “switch on”

So now at 8 there will be a news bulletin.

Will it push people back to sunrise or today? Or will those 10 viewers who watched Studio 10 just stay? In which case - same amount of viewers just watching a diff show

Are 10 hoping / expecting to grow 8am from 25,000 to 30,000?

What’s motivating this?

A gradual return to three bulletins per weekday?

1 Like

damned if they do, damned if they don’t really.

Don’t ever change mate.

10 Likes

they are going need to put extra staff on if that were the case. By adding 10 News First: Morning and 10 News First: Late. They possibly couldn’t do it all with the same amount of staff.

This morning they aired what appeared to be pool footage in the 8am news segment on Studio 10.

2 Likes

I would’ve liked to see this come from Melbourne every day for consistency in presentation.

This really isn’t much of an expansion given they were producing mini news updates for studio 10. It’s just a rearrangement. Maybe a trial for slow build. Rolling news from 6am would’ve been a better point of difference.

6 Likes

I never suggested don’t change.

I love change

I’m questioning what their goal is?

Growing the timeslot?
Expanding news division?

They’re taking off one live news show and replacing it with another

What do we think about Lachlan doing 3 days and Natasha doing 2 days? Will this split schedule hurt them? Should they find one person who can do all five days?

Overall, it seems like a relatively easy step to take. They already feature headlines and breaking news at 8am; so longer versions of those reports would easily provide content up to the first break. Then there will be news from overseas correspondents they can tap into plus finance and sport.

It will probably alleviate the somewhat weird situation now where there are two different newsreaders across the morning such as when Daniel Doody starts the morning then Narelda Jacobs takes over.

Perhaps some change in that arrangement might have been an impetus to this change.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the CBS reports that can be added.

3 Likes

10 News Early all over again.
Either testing the waters for something and/or it’s not costing them anything to give it a shot (using resources and staff already there for Studio 10).

1 Like

Hey - I’m a massive fan of this.

1 Like

It’s a point of difference and reduces the daily Studio 10 marathon. Sarah probably can’t wait!

This move also highlights the 10 News First brand. It certainly looks better on paper, that they are producing more then 1 bulletin/90mins of news a day.

14 Likes