Ten News First Content and Appearance

It’s not needed because everyone will be watching Seven, Nine or the ABC News channel for flood coverage instead and that won’t change.

It may seem like it’s only a small expense by having a Ten reporter doing updates, but I definitely think they’d be better off providing alternate programming to the other channels. Less and less people turn to Ten for news.

Nope, I never said that.

This is what I wrote:

Don’t think I’ve seen that suggested anywhere, we are all aware of 10’s stance on news and that they’re investing elsewhere at the network.

They’re news updates, during the ads. They were showing alternative programming, nobody suggested rolling coverage. The updates essentially act as a promo for the nightly news, with the added bonus of keeping people informed during a rapidly unfolding situation. They’re doing updates anyway, I just suggested that in my opinion they could / should have been done locally on this occasion.

Again, let’s move the conversation on.

You’re all looking at this from a macro level. Yes, the network does not value news. But, as the head of news, if you’re attitude is “who cares… they can watch someone else if they don’t like it” you should sack yourself.

Call me naive, but I genuinely believe everyone in 10’s news division wants to deliver the best product for viewers they possibly can…even the news director. As regular viewers, we were simply offering ‘creative’ suggestions that would make the output better.

3 Likes

This would never be the attitude of a ‘head of news’ and none of the people you’ve quoted are pretending or purporting to be a head of news at 10.

No one is questioning that and I’m really not sure of your point. It’s the resource and budget allocation that has made the rod for their backs.

5 Likes

Camera direct to the play out centre? :flushed::sweat_smile::person_facepalming:

4 Likes

Exactly. Then why are we being told by some here to just accept 90 minute old information during a flooding emergency or to just watch someone else? That doesn’t solve much or improve anything.

The news director wants to deliver the best product for their viewers. If you don’t watch 10 News, that’s fine. Some of us do. We were suggesting what we believe were reasonable and practical ideas, within their means, to the people that produce the news everyday.

If anything it shows why the 90 minute format isn’t working. If it were an hour they could be live into Brisbane. Push it back to 5.30 start time.

You don’t have to accept anything. You don’t have to watch 10. By not watching it, you’re not accepting it - even if you don’t have a ratings box.

There’s nothing wrong with ideas. It’s the pushback when you get told about the actual practicalities and resource/budget restraints that is the problem.

4 Likes

The general public wouldn’t have a clue if the news was live or slightly delayed. Look at 7s The Latest…most of that is pre recorded and there’s no uproar about that. As long as information is delivered the general public don’t care or even notice. I was watching some of the networks rolling coverage and literally you see the same vision over and over with the odd new vision coming in. Honestly who is really home to watch endless rolling coverage anyway?!

6 Likes

I won’t accept that there’s no medium between the choice of delayed news and switching the channel.

When this weather event was exclusively affecting SEQ late last week and early this week, I wanted the first segment in the 5pm News to be live. That was my ‘reasonable’ suggestion. I haven’t been “told” anything about why this can’t happen… in fact, I know it can because they’ve done it before.

You… and quite a few other people if you look at the ratings. Anyway, no one suggested 10 should do rolling coverage.

Delivering out-of-date evacuation warnings and the “very latest” on flood levels an hour and a half too late when we’ve seen homes being inundated within 30 minutes shows contempt to the community and you know it. So much for “We put the facts first… We put Qld first”.

Who’s saying the latest info is an hour and a half delayed? This is completely false information.

Yep. Know of a heap of occasions it has happened for breaking press conferences taken straight to air when no access to a studio crew. Just using a breaking news strap from the play out centre. Easy to adapt for news breaks.

I realise you won’t understand. It’s okay to laugh. You seem to accept the zero effort approach from Ch10 and always have an excuse for why they can’t do something.

I agree with this post.

10 might not care about news

But the Brisbane bulletin has an EP or news director right?

It astounds me too that this person didn’t work to make sure some updates get on the air during the day and evening.

Some (comparatively) good results for 10 News in Brisbane this week. Last night was the bulletin’s highest all year, over 100k for the first time. It was the number 8 program in Brisbane and just 3k behind ABC News at 7pm - not bad for a 5pm bulletin.

4 Likes

It actually does comparatively better than Mel and Syd. Maybe people don’t know it’s not live and they like Sandra. Also Brisbane hates the ABC compared to Syd and Mel.

1 Like

I think we all like Sandra no matter where we’re from…

You do know the difference between a press conference and a news update right?

2 Likes

Australia Unites graphic

Some other flood caps

4 Likes

Bahahah this is hilarious

11 Likes

Surely the sets were designed by the same person/company? Everything is the same concept/design :joy:

4 Likes