Ten News First Content and Appearance

Suggesting what they should be doing is fine. Repeatedly suggesting what they should be doing is ridiculous. Saying that the logistics of the suggestions don’t matter is moronic.

There’s my sliding scale.

1 Like

I haven’t repeatedly suggested anything, I merely suggested truly local updates between Studio 10 and the evening ‘Local’ News should’ve been done given the unfolding situation - nothing ridiculous there to get so worked up about.

Again, how are we, everyday media enthusiasts supposed to know they’re so stretched to get stories prepped by 2pm for a bulletin that goes to air on an hour delay for the most part?

Honestly, you make some great contributions to the site with inside knowledge and then slam anyone who dares suggest anything - reasonable or not. What gives? Take a chill.

I didn’t suggest or say that the logistics were irrelevant either and don’t appreciate you saying twice that I suggested that and calling me moronic, what I said was there is surely a way around the staffing issue that and it should’ve been prioritized in my opinion.

1 Like

I kinda think that it’s pretty obvious now that what we see on air is the most 10 can do, there isn’t the money or resources to do more and likely those who do work on the 5pm bulletins are doing more then they are actually paid for.
I’m not saying I don’t agree with you, but most of us know if they have culled local market bulletins being produced, it’s all being run on the smell of an oily rag.

3 Likes

We’re talking about pretty exceptional circumstances though, and allowances are made in these situations - I gave an example of Ursula being sent to the UK to cover the post there while JPG was in Poland.

I merely provided my opinion that I felt they should have provided more information to viewers between news programming, given the unfolding situation. It’s not my place to know or take into account whether that can be done on existing resources, you can bet 7 & 9 called in extra support to provide the coverage they have done over the last few days and 10 should be no different.

Anyway, I’ve said my piece. I just don’t like being attacked for voicing a (what I thought to be) pretty reasonable suggestion of an already low expectation from this network.

1 Like

If 10 wanted to do something locally they could have, it would have involved a lot of cost with outside services and OB kit and extra crews. They clearly don’t see a ROI on news for the channel which is a shame and very short sighted.

1 Like

It’s just not that simple I’m afraid. 10 don’t have the news division that Seven or Nine do. Gone are the TV days where cheques are just written at the sake of it.

In terms of sending someone to cover a post in the UK, that’s one person - one resource you are taking about. It’s not really comparable to what we are taking about. In this case it would be more than just a reporter on the ground, there are more logistics behind it and I think we need to keep that in mind when we make these claims that they “should just do it”.

As extraordinary as this situation might be, it’s like saying “why can’t everyone unemployed just be on welfare regardless” life doesn’t have open cheque books and things appear out of thin air.

You have made valid points, but what my points is, 10 isn’t a news network and they won’t be again. There is coverage across the ABC, 7NEWS and 9News. It’s no real dilemma other than 10 shootings themselves in the foot, but that’s just the way the network is run now.

Is it shit to see? Of course, but I think we all need to let the idea go that they will resemble anything like they once were.

6 Likes

I didn’t even ask for more, I just asked for a live 5pm bulletin just this week… which I’m positive they’ve done before.

Wasn’t @killy06 suggestion just that a reporter, already out in the field, do updates between 12pm and 5pm just for this flooding emergency? That’s hardly unreasonable.

Also, @MBB you’re in Melbourne right? I think it’s a bit rich to say just accept it when it’s not your natural disaster and you still receive a live nightly service from 10. Sure you’ve seen some compromises with the hybrid bulletin but it’s hardly the same. As regular viewers of 10’s bulletin, both now and before, I think we’re entitled to be critical of the current service and offer what I think are reasonable and practical suggestions within their current constrictions. We are hardly requesting for things to return to what they were.

It would have been very easy and cheap (if any extra cost at all) for them to have a reporter and camera live in the field to at the very least provide live updates throughout the day in QLD.

Camera playing live to the playout centre what broadcasts it live to air, bypass non-existing studio and control rooms at Ch10.

Could even have extended this to a live first break if they wanted to push the capabilities of playout centre.

It is a major natural disaster along the east cost. Saying you can get coverage on another network or they don’t have the money for it (find some for this one off story) doesn’t cut it.

2 Likes

It does cut it. They have no obligation to News beyond what they pump out at 5pm daily. Other networks value it higher.

There’s no value whatsoever for 10 being the third player in a rolling news or vamped up update war between the networks.

They’ve made their decision not to be a news network - it’s about time posters here realised that 10 isn’t going to be a news heavy station. What might have been true 10 or 5 years ago isn’t the case now.

9 Likes

They should put up the closed sign and unplug the power then. Half the east coast is underwater and they can’t put in more than minimal effort.

Don’t think anyone is suggesting it rolling coverage like ABC, 7, or 9. Just something better than the little they’re doing.

Not if they want to keep their jobs.

Just saw a promo for 10 News. Time for the full story :joy:

I think people are getting confused over opinions and the reality of 10’s decisions. I agree with Primetime_TV that it’s a bad decision and one that will bite them in the future. However, they clearly disagree. Jumping down people’s throats for having views that go against 10’s plans seems counterproductive for a media discussion forum.

5 Likes

I don’t even think they have an obligation to do even that? Regional operators have an obligation to x amount of local news but I don’t think the metros have any such obligation.

3 Likes

I see your point, but some of the discussion around 10 fails to use any of the evidence we have seen around 10’s news output in the last 24 months. They don’t see fit to present the state news from some of the states they broadcast to yet people think somehow 10 will snap into being a nimble news resource? They’ve left it behind.

I have no problem with people advocating for more news output from 10 - but it all flies in the face of all the evidence we have been presented with.

Sorry my bad - I meant obligation in terms of it being a fixed part of their schedule.

4 Likes

You’ve missed the mark here, I wasn’t suggesting anything outlandish and if it was in Melbourne or Sydney you can bet it probably would’ve been a different situation.

My suggestion was purely this:

Not unreasonable at all, and I even suggested the load could be spread amongst the reporters in the field. They have precedence of doing this for local viewers during elections etc, but an unfolding life threatening local disaster? Spare me if that’s too much to think they’d be capable of doing.

If it did require additional resources to provide this, I can imagine it would’ve been minimal and within their capacity (the network) to do that at a bare minimum, in my opinion.

Nobody suggested rolling news, and “vamped up news updates” is hardly a war between the networks - 10 know they can’t compete with that and why would they? Little reward for their investment, that has been proven time & time again when they’ve done competing coverage.

The proposed news updates would’ve essentially been a community service to the viewers in the impacted area with up to date information, they also act as a promo to lead into the nightly news which affects their bottom line and profitability to provide any news service at all.

Sorry I don’t get why you are being so defensive? I’m having a conversation, not attacking you. We don’t need to take swipes at peoples locations.

To be honest if this was happening in Melbourne I wouldn’t be watching 10News because I know their service is limited. It’s the expectation and knowledge within the industry that 10 aren’t in the news game.

To you or I it may seem simple to set up a camera and point it at someone straight to playout with no producer or crew behind it, but it’s not logical or feasible and no network would do that.

1 Like

I’m defending my point of view, I haven’t taken any personal swipes.

Quite clear now that 10’s news operations come from Sydney and Melbourne respectively, they’re also this countries biggest markets and where they’re resourced the most. So, if something was to happen in either market they’d be able to respond better, and likely the coverage would be better.

If you personally happen to be based in either of those markets than it’s coincidental and I’d say don’t be so paranoid.

We’ve been through this, this wasn’t what was inferred by me originally and the average joe doesn’t know or need to know this - but it’s not that complex and wouldn’t require a lot of additional resources to have been done.

We’re going around in circles, I’ve made my point and happy to move the conversation in here along.

Lol? Not paranoid. Take all of your points on board.

You said I must live in melbourne? I was affirming.

My simple message is, to know the logistics you have to work on the industry to understand it. Things aren’t always as simple as you would imagine and you can’t just make things happen, although I agree they should be a better circumstance.

10 just ain’t the service people turn to for News, it’s sad but it’s the way it is in 2022

Simples!

In my opinion, I don’t think the demand is there for 10 to relaunch locally presented bulletins, or have 24/7 coverage of a flood event.

10 is the entertainment network, not 5+ news bulletins a day, breakfast and morning shows, current affairs with some entertainment.

Why can’t a commercial network have a point of difference from trends set from the others?

3 Likes