Ten News First Content and Appearance

I think the main culprit is the CEO regime change - each has had a different take on running news. One will build it up the way they want, the next will tear it down in cost saving measures.

Precisely.

10 will survive because they’re backed by ViacomCBS who is now a conglomerate. But because they’re under Viacom (and Bev), the direction they’re heading to is still up in the air. Their news department though is finished, if they continue under the current management.

3 Likes

Foot injury.

Actually, if the cost savings outweigh the drop in ratings / revenue and that money can be used in primetime where it is put to much better use - it’s very easy to justify

10 could do well to take over or partner with a radio news service. Could you imagine 10 News on Nova?

They have the Journalists there already. Nine seems to do this well and seems to work for FOX News, ABC and CBS in the USA. It’s an area Seven and Sky News haven’t entered.

Maybe should start with a news website?

1 Like

That’s really bad. That’s like a 50% ratings plunge in a matter of weeks.

10 need to address that:

And that’s the typical model of a conglomerate - extract maximum profit for overseas shareholders at minimum outlay and contribute absolutely nothing back to the communities they are operating in. Australia’s media landscape and certainly 10 will be the poorer for it.

2 Likes

Yep.

What these conglomerates don’t know (let alone care) is that connecting and working with these local communities will actually allow them to gain more revenue and higher profit. More local audience watching = More revenue.

But no most of these conglomerates seem to have a mindset of being dirt cheap without realising that they could be losing potential revenue by losing the trust of the local audience.

4 Likes

I think they’re well aware of how to operate broadcasting assets. Whether they care for higher ratings or not is another matter.

Ten tried that. It was a massive flop.

That wasn’t a news website it was lifestyle

I just think it’s time people came to the realisation that 10 will never be what they want it to be.

After their latest purge, I have accepted it will always be mediocre.

4 Likes

Not really. Didn’t go badly views-wise and was very well regarded by the media industry & analysts

1 Like

When announced, the leading feature of the site was “extensive, exclusive and premium short-form news”.

They failed because it wasn’t a news brand. It was called 10 daily for some stupid reason. People didn’t equate it as a news site. It was a good site they just got the branding all wrong and didn’t promote it properly.

3 Likes

The news brand is so damaged with a tiny audience so a different name/brand would’ve probably been a better option.

Despite that, a 10 News branded site would’ve had the same outcome anyway but probably closed quicker.

Never heard anyone be like “Oh, did you see this story on 10 News First?”

Perhaps an integrated multi-platform offering, under the one 10 news brand, might have helped them build credibility over time (rather than fragmenting over two brands). It would be a hard slog but if they developed decent content and got it on Google News etc, it would slowly build.

Still, the other option is/was to look at partnering with other online news organisations and sharing content rather than going it alone from scratch. Or, I think its been mentioned before, - a NZ type NewsHub model.

Anyway, its 10. We can always hope but I doubt they’ll ever do anything to diversify.

2 Likes

Some adjustments have been noted to the last 2 nights. After Wednesday night’s low ratings result, Thursday and Friday bulletins for 10 Queensland have seen all local news items appear first between 5 and 6pm.

2 Likes

Perth tonight

9 Likes

Nest Saturday 10 News First will be at 6pm in Sydney and Melbourne, 5:30pm in Adelaide and 5:00pm in Brisbane and Perth due to Bathurst 1000 coverage.

1 Like