Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Ha probably not, as sad as that sounds. I think it’s been said quite a lot on this forum though. To be honest, I personally think that they are still recovering from their 2011 news revolution. They pooled so much money into new sets, new journos and producers and extended their broadcast output. Then they had the 2 failed breakfast programs and their massive cull of experienced talent.

3 Likes

Personally, I think that Ten really need to invest time/resources into properly promoting the news bulletins they already have and positioning the 5pm bulletin as an actual major news service before Ten even think about expanding their news output to include additional bulletins again.

Ten Eyewitness News: First At Five would’ve gotten less than 500k viewers (judging by the fact that it wasn’t in the Top 20 programs and #20th ranked program Family Feud at 499k was) across all five metro markets last night. Now I know that the ratings of TV are declining generally and there’s tough competition from the likes of The Chase Australia and Hot Seat, but on a Wednesday night during a ratings period, those sorts of numbers should still be generating an almost deafening sound from the alarm bells at Ten!

I’m sorry to bring out a boring old argument here…but why aren’t we seeing promos for Ten Eyewitness News: First At Five on a regular basis?! Please Ten, effectively use the promotional time in your moderately successful primetime lineup to actually promote the news to viewers who otherwise may not watch it!

And for those saying that Ten don’t need to air promos for their news because it’s not in primetime and Family Feud is their 6pm show, etc: Seven and Nine regularly air promos for their 5pm/5.30pm news lead-in programs and it’s quite hard to miss the plethora of news promos during primetime programing or sport on Seven and Nine. In contrast, it’s been ages since I can remember last really remember seeing a promo for Ten’s news here in Sydney.

When even their regional affiliate WIN Television is doing a better job at promoting Ten Eyewitness News: First At Five than Network Ten themselves…you know that something is very, very wrong with the current promotional strategy in Ten’s news department.

6 Likes

Ten Eyewitness News in Adelaide has been doing this for a few weeks now. The standing area of the set has been worked on over the last 18 months and is now looking quite good. They have certainly done a good job considering the Adelaide set is very small.

Also how long will it be until we hear that either Adelaide or Perth gets a second presenter back?

2 Likes

Not that I’m expecting any, but is there any news on ten investing more in there ‘news service’?

Since you asked if they had the money 2 days ago?

Not likely.

5 Likes

Here is the opener & closer to the National weekend bulletin last night:

2 Likes

TEN Adelaide always do a great job at promoting themselves within the community and at events such as the below from the City 2 Bay fun run over the weekend, yet TEN were also a sponsor and broadcaster of the Sydney Running Festival over the weekend yet the extent of any promotion was a story from the event during the 5pm news.

I also note that TEN Brisbane seem to have dropped their sponsorship or any affiliation of the Westpac Rescue Helicopter based on the Gold Coast, until recently there was signage on both sides of the hangar building with the Eyewitness News logo, TEN logo on the tail of th chopper & embroidered in their uniforms.

4 Likes

Josh Holt fling weather in Sydney on pre-record from Brisbane it seems.

Ten are useless.

It could just be me, but is the Sydney bulletin getting more beefed up over the past 2 months? As I said, it could be me as I don’t watch Ten news that often, but I watched friday’s bulletin (bombshell ahead) and I might actually start watching Ten eyewitness news.

Improvements could be made like having good quality promos (or one at least) or using the big screen more. Btw, what is the point of the screen at Sydney? I’ve never seen it used except for the openers.

The screen is sometimes used for standing introductions to the bulletin with a big event, during ANZAC Day Coverage or similar, Studio 10 use it regularly like this morning for their Emmys fashion segment, it used to be used as the main backdrop behind the presenter for the late news before Hugh fronted that bulletin and generally just as an astehetic piece for the wide shot opening of the bulletin.

I agree though, it could be used more.

1 Like

It’s also the “Weather Wall” when Bailey is around.

2 Likes

Officially known as ‘The Daily Bailey Weather Wall, the forecast where you get it all’.

6 Likes

To avoid getting off topic in last night’s ratings thread, I’m responding here:

I think Peter Meakin might’ve since left Ten or at least has a very reduced role with them these days? I’m not sure who’s currently in charge of Ten Eyewitness News on a Sydney or national level, to be perfectly honest.

In any case, Ten really need to do something about their news service and sooner rather than later. If it keeps going way it’s going at the moment, I’m very sad to say that I wouldn’t be surprised if Ten Eyewitness News eventually dies a very slow and painful death.

Although I certainly don’t think that Ten’s news service has to go that way. By having the right people in charge who are willing to provide viewers with a strong point of difference to the news services of other networks, I believe that Ten Eyewitness News can not only survive, but thrive.

1 Like

It was announced on April 28th earlier this year that Peter Meakin was taking on a reduced role of Executive Consultant for News & Current Affairs effective 1st May. John Choueifate was announced as being appointed as Executive Director, News from that date also.

The press release can be found here: http://images.tenplay.com.au/~/media/Corporate%20Site%20Media/Files/Media%20Releases/2016/John%20Choueifate%20Appointed%20Network%20Ten%20Executive%20Director%20News.pdf

2 Likes

John Choueifate is the Ten News boss, while Peter Meakin is in a consultancy role

1 Like

11 posts were merged into an existing topic: Computer Help

A post was merged into an existing topic: Computer Help

Posts related to Luke’s question regarding uploading videos to You Tube have been moved to the “Computer Help” section.

1 Like

If Seven or Nine had one of their news reporters in Afghanistan, you can bet that they’d hype up the promotion of their reporter being “Inside the Front Line” and that it’s a “Major Exclusive” or something like that.

If I was Ten, I would definitely be heavily promoting Amanda Hart’s reports from Afghanistan because it’s a rare “Exclusive” for Ten’s news service these days which the casual viewer who doesn’t usually watch Ten Eyewitness News: First At Five just might be quite interested in!

Yep, it’s very sad. A few years ago I remember many on Media Spy regarding Ten’s news service as a better product than the Seven/Nine equivalents. For all the criticism that both Seven and Nine’s news services get (quite a lot of which is quite justified, I might add), I don’t think you can say that Ten’s news service is superior to “the big two” these these days for reasons that have been very well documented.

In all honesty, I actually do want Ten Eyewitness News: First At Five to rate well because viewers are undoubtedly better served with more choices for news on TV rather than less. But it’s very hard to support Ten’s news service in it’s current state especially when the network has only one news bulletin a day which will often take weekends off due to sports coverage! :confounded:

2 Likes

I can and will :laughing:

2 Likes