Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Hahahahahahaha. If you go back and look at the discussion from 2010/2011. They failed then unfortunately even though they had good ideas they never promoted it properly then new owners came and pulled the pin. The old management would’ve stuck with it like they stuck with the project.

I think they need some form of late news either at 930 or 1030 to brought back.

6 Likes

Yeah that’s why I mentioned, cuz they pulled the plug on “news revolution”. I think it would be more competitive now considering 9 and 7 both have hour long bulletins.

If you ask me, Ten can actually make their “First At Five” bulletin a very strong point of difference with the right promotion (eg “Sydney’s news is second at six, but First At Five on Ten”), marketing and heavy emphasis on that part of the bulletin’s name.

But unfortunately, I can’t see that happening anytime soon.

6 Likes

If you have a 3 way battle it usually ends up that 2 will survive but the 3rd won’t. And being the newbie in the battle unless Ten has a really compelling offer for viewers to come across, or 7 or 9 do something really bad to lose viewers en masse, then it will be the one to struggle.

2 Likes

Chris Bath maybe? :smiley:

1 Like

One of the worst suggestions ever made! While the numbers for Seven and Nine news bulletins are still among the top programs each night, the audience is dwindling for straight TV news on FTA. There are so many other sources of news today. To move into that timeslot and try to take viewers away from a dwindling resource makes no sense. Ten have had success with things like The Project as it is an alternative to straight news.
Here are some numbers for last Monday and compare to previous years. Even just going back a couple of years the drop in the numbers news can be seen but The Project has held onto its audience through this time.

2016 - last Monday
SEVEN NEWS 1,171,000
NINE NEWS 1,059,000
A CURRENT AFFAIR 885,000
ABC NEWS-EV 828,000
THE PROJECT 7PM 666,000

NINE NEWS 1,218,000
SEVEN NEWS 1,036,000
A CURRENT AFFAIR 1,088,000
ABC NEWS-EV 915,000
THE PROJECT 7PM 642,000

A CURRENT AFFAIR 1,237,000
SEVEN NEWS 1,210,000
NINE NEWS 1,206,000
ABC NEWS-EV 828,000
THE PROJECT 7PM 633,000

NINE NEWS 1,360,000
SEVEN NEWS 1,256,000
A CURRENT AFFAIR 1,112,000
ABC NEWS-EV 1,012,000
THE PROJECT 644,000

3 Likes

That’s great for Sydney, though as good as Chris is I’m not sure she’s got the power to turn the tide to such an extent. And what about the rest of the country?

1 Like

Bring Mal Walden out of retirement for Melbourne :stuck_out_tongue:

I think she’s enough to get some viewers in, because she is well known. Identity is a good key for any network.

Btw, this might be a dumb question, how much is it to day a news bulletin and does ten have the money?

I don’t think Ten needs news at 6,

The Feud is doing the best relative business at 6 that Ten has done in over a decade.

What they do need is additional hours of news throughout the day, to amortize the cost of running a network news division that only pumps out 1 hour of news outside of primetime a day.

News at 9.30 would rate higher than US drama, I believe.

6 Likes

Ok this has been pissing me off for a while now, but I really have to wonder who on Earth Ten are using to run their news social media accounts.

There’s seemingly one particular individual (they basically have their own capitalised tag), who adores using clickbaity, hyper-tabloid and often argumentative, at times offensive, headlines that don’t do anything to inform the viewer:

And my personal favourite:

Thankfully, someone actually stood up to the crap that they’ve been pumping out:

It’s really getting ridiculous, and believe me when I say that these are some of the milder examples, as this has been happening for weeks to months and it’s difficult to find them all.

Perhaps the most hilarious part is that almost none of the bullshit published on there makes it anywhere near an actual broadcast bulletin.

9 Likes

Ten’s social media is ridiculous. Their engagement is the lowest I have ever seen. They will post a video to Ten News Sydney (with over 150k likes) and get 4 comments.

They have no idea. And people are not engaged with the brand at all

1 Like

Yeah I’ve noticed this happening too, often most of what is posted outside of news stories from the 5pm bulletin is absolute shit from overseas which has no substance or relevance in Australia.

I’d put it down to their use of digital media interns with too much editiorial control (they are currently asvertising for more positions) and a general lack of direction in the online space when it comes to news content.

Anyway, this is a good way to cheapen IMO the best news service which currently produces the least amount of bulletins/content in Australia right now.

2 Likes

The issue with Ten’s social media is it has been very on and off in the last 5 years or so. It’ll be very active for a small time, then be completely dormant for 6 months… then come back again. The capital city based bulletins have had varying activity as well, where its switched between local control and Sydney control of the accounts. Obviously budget cuts and re-hires doing their job.

1 Like

Ten Eyewitness News Adelaide recapped today’s headlines (at 5:30 pm) from the standing area of the set. The 5:00 pm headlines proceeded as normal.

9 Likes

Nice to see them doing this & trying something different, Melbourne and Sydney could easily do this from a seperate presenting area point of view… Brisbane and Perth would need to be done from the desk I’d say.

I’ve often wondered why they have only done this on the weekend bulletin’s in the past, often during the week just before sport at around 5:30-5:40 there’s a lot of fluff pieces or international stories. I imagine between 5-6pm is a real switch on period with people getting home and turning the TV on.

Could be a good idea moving forward for all states to do a headline re-cap at this time to bring those viewers joining mid bulletin up to speed.

4 Likes

Not sure about other states, but I’m pretty sure that Ten Eyewitness News: First At Five Sydney has long done a headline recap just before crossing to Sport.

Personally, I think Ten (or Seven…or Nine) could do a lot worse than something like an integrated “Still Ahead > Sport > Weather > The Project at 6.30pm” preview just before the ad break that’s at/around half way through the bulletin, with a headline recap upon returning from the break.

Queensland doesn’t but the national weekend bulletin does.

I agree.
I believe Brisbane used to use their set quite a lot before they replaced it with the horrible piece it is now :frowning:

2 Likes

This may be a dumb question, but does ten have the money to beef up its news services? Maybe more bulletins?