Ten Network - Programs and Schedules

Disagree - program smartly and you can boost both platforms. Five bedrooms and the Inspired Unemployed (Impractical) Jokers are good examples.

3 Likes

You can disagree but if they thought it was a good idea they’d be doing it now.

You don’t see Stan Originals anywhere on the FTA 9 network.

It just doesn’t happen.

That’s not quite the case.

Love Triangle S1 just started airing on 9, Bali 2022 was a co-commission between 9/Stan and Hamish Turner said on the TV Blackbox podcast from the upfronts that essentially select Stan content will air on 9 where appropriate.

Not to mention the synergies between Stan Sport & WWOS + the second window airing of Nine content on Stan.

2 Likes

They aren’t good examples at all though. They aren’t rating on 10.

1 Like

The Wolf Creek series screened on 9 after a few years on Stan.

2 Likes

Have to disagree with you on this. The term “exclusive” or “Original” Is really just a marketing ploy when it comes down to it. When you look at a lot of the content that is popping up across FTA networks now there is actually a lot of content that has these labels.

1 Like

This is only running on Mondays? I thought it would go on Sundays as well, or is that spot being kept for The Amazing Race?

Perhaps to avoid a clash with The Voice on Sundays.

1 Like

Ten has been trashed since CBS became involved in late 2010, around the evolution of 11, now known as 10Peach. A joint venture between Ten Holdings and CBS was established for the new channel. Ten Holdings was an ASX listed company until mid to late 2010s.

Note the so-called News revolution that brought us 6pm with George Negus (later retitled 6:30pm before being axed), Ten News at 6:30 (again not long after premiering being axed) and the multiple timeslot changes for what was once The 7pm Project, before becoming The Project, with start times as early as 6pm up against Seven and Nine News juggernauts. This is one of the many massacres Ten has suffered in that time.

The network got worse when Bruce Gordon, James Packer and Lachlan Murdoch became involved, trying to takeover the network in mid 2010s.

The above has meant that when I hear job losses in the news department at 10 or that Ten is trying a new program at 6pm, it no longer surprises me.

As unfortunate as it is, Tens best days are behind it. Never again will we see the kind of quality we saw in late 1980s with Comedy Company or a moderately successful program at 6pm on Ten as I personally think that the owners have given up trying

…had nothing to do with CBS.

6 Likes

Jason… I would advise on doing some research. Some of the statements regarding 10s ownership are incorrect in your comments.

4 Likes

I am aware that Ten was owned by shareholders and the international ownership did not take effect until around 2017-18, however, what I was trying to illustrate was the fiasco surrounding the Gordon, Packer and Murdoch debt guarantees etc where they tried to takeover.

My reference to CBS was to do the joint venture between CBS and Eleven which timed in with the News revolution -. Neighbours moving to the new channel etc.

I have just amended the post to reflect this

Yes a shame Ten are showing repeats on Sunday but quite refreshing to see an Aussie commercial network with a different programme every day at 7.30pm. The trouble is for that to work for one channel all the FTAs probably need to do it.

Most of Ten’s big tentpole shows other than Masterchef and I’m a Celeb would probably suit airing once or twice a week too.

2 Likes

Does anyone know the date of 10 Upfronts this year?

1 Like

For me, Peak Ten was the mid 1990s:
Ten News at 5, 6pm Simpsons, Neighbours, Seinfeld, new Simpsons, The Nanny, The X Files, Rove Live, The Panel, Late News, Sports Tonight, Big Brother, Australian Idol, Good News Week

There was a magic in this schedule that will never be recaptured. Of course this was well before multichannels and streaming.

6 Likes

I think it’s mentioned elsewhere that 10’s 2024 upfronts will be held in late October. Seven’s upfronts is on October 18.

2 Likes

What I’ve never understood with the Aussie FTAs is how complementary scheduling doesn’t particularly seem to work. In theory 10 should have an open goal in the 6pm hour to provide something other than news, and anyone not doing reality at 7.30pm should find an audience too - but it just doesn’t seem to play out that way.

But the onus wasn’t on CBS - that was Ten’s decision to do the news revolution, they could’ve done something else in the slot when Eleven launched and were moving programming to it.

If my post gave the impression that I was blaming CBS for it at the time, I wasn’t. What I was saying , for Ten there has been too much instability in the 6pm til 7:30pm slot to find an audience beyond those that like the structure of The Project.

The mass exodus at The Project last year could have given it an opportunity to refresh the whole show, but it has failed to capitalise on the changes.

In reality, I would have loved to see Ten starting their evening viewing at 6:30pm with perhaps a family friendly reality vehicle which could be encored mid evening on 10Peach. Ten could have screened something like The Project after 8:30pm to limit sensorhip.

I think the 7:30pm timeslot through the week will be a reality battlefield with at least 1 loser. I think even ABC is too afraid to try something different to a current affairs show at 7:30pm. I know they have had a news and current affairs hour from 7pm for decades, but no one is game enough to move away from reality shows Sunday to Wednesday each week.

Quick question: Am I missing something or has Ten channels dropped Judge Judy from the schedule starting next week?

Looks like Neighbours has displaced it, Ten again running it twice each weekday, another cheap budget move rather than increasing the variety of their main channel schedule by having both.