Ten Network - Programs and Schedules

Why not play them out in episode order, as opposed to jumping between seasons?

The 7pm episode is new (it won’t be broadcast in the US until later this week).

1 Like

Was it? If i knew that I would have watched it.

Tonight’s episode was a repeat. It’s next week’s that’s new.

Yes - the question was referring to next week’s schedule that was just posted today.

2 Likes

I thought Ten announced at the end of Madam Secretary last week that it would be back in two weeks, but it’s not in the guide for next week.

I’m sure I just saw an ad for Masterchef that said 7.00 Sunday … guess they found an extra 30 mins footage?

I watched ten from about 6:30-10:40 last night and the Super Sunday lineup promos had new Modern Family at 7:00, Masterchef 7:30 & Shark Tank at 9:00

1 Like

Latest blast from Ten still has 7.30 on it.

http://forums.mediaspy.org/t/masterchef-australia/366/280?u=tv.cynic

How do Ten turn things around in Sydney?

Their ratings in that market have been comparably low & it’s systemic…

Not just MasterChef the past few years, but also The Bachelor & even The Bachelorette.

The latter two are clearly filmed in & around Sydney, yet still so much lower than Melbourne (and Seven/Nine’s key shows with Sydney).

Only The Biggest Loser did proportionally well :smiley:

We know Ten News in Sydney also had some very worrying numbers thus far in 2016.

Maybe viewers just prefer Seven & Nine’s offerings?

I was just thinking about it (and please no trolling/hurtful comments, this is absolutely nothing against Sydney).

As I’m sure everyone on the forum knows, I’ve always lived in Sydney. I also know a decent amount (but of course, I’m always learning new things) about the media habits of this city so feel qualified enough to comment about the viewing habits of the marketplace.

I generally get the impression that many of Network Ten’s primetime programs (like MasterChef, The Bachelor/The Bachelorette, etc.) are targeted more towards an inner city-type audience rather than a wider suburban-type audience, a demographic which Nine and especially Seven go for with programs like MKR, The Block, The Voice, The X Factor, etc. Anyone who knows the Sydney market and it’s demographics well knows that it’s a very large metropolitan area and that quite a sizeable chunk of the population (especially these days) primarily lives in the suburbs rather than the stereotype of a Sydney city/coastal-based lifestyle.

As far as the news service is concerned, I don’t think that Ten’s Sydney news service ever has, nor likely will recover from longstanding presenters such as Ron Wilson and Tim Webster moving on from the 5pm news around 2008-09. And that’s before all of the major expansions/cutbacks in the newsroom of more recent years as well! Add to that the revolving door that is Seven News Sydney (another newsroom that has had it’s fair share of instability in recent years) and is it any wonder that Nine News has been Sydney’s news leader in recent years?

The last I checked, Nine is generally Sydney’s preferred free to air TV network. Of course, one of only several reasons would be due to the fact that Nine has most of the major FTA coverage of the two main sports (rugby league and cricket, of course) that Sydney is most interested in.

1 Like

I was particularly referring to Sydney’s previous ratings with shows like MasterChef, Australian Idol, etc.

Compared with shows like MKR (Seven) & The Voice (Nine) - one show has its studio in Sydney & the other is entirely filmed in Sydney, are both still able to pull massive 400k+ ratings for a number of episodes. At least maintaing ratings around 350k+.

In Sydney, MasterChef/Bachelor/Bachelorette has pulled ratings in the 200k range which isn’t really good enough.

But they smash the key demos, so Ten will always take that (+ the fact they’re massive in Melbourne still).

Ten’s ratings in general have only a 1-2% variance around the country in contrast to Seven and Nine that vary significantly. Currently, Ten’s rates higher in Sydney than the network average, so your claims are not supported by the ratings. Ten is rating highest in Perth at the moment.

Obviously some things are more popular in some cities than others, but it seems to even out. For example Brisbane does not watch cooking shows as much as the rest of the country (on any network) but prefers renovation shows. Crime drams like NCIS and Law and Order rate higher in Brisbane as well.

While Nine has rated higher in Sydney than other markets in the past, that is not the case this year. Seven is the number one network in every market, currently 3% ahead of Nine in Sydney.

5 Likes

Not correct - You have to look at audience share not absolute viewer numbers and Ten’s share of the viewers is the same in both Sydney and Melbourne. Last year the difference in prime time ratings between Ten in the 2 markets was just 0.2%. The difference between Ten’s best market result and its worst was just 0.6%.

1 Like

Okay, thanks TV Cynic :slight_smile: Very interesting stats.

I also realise that Sydney & NSW are the largest metro & regional markets, in terms of reach.

But I was just thinking of MasterChef, The Bachelorette & The Bachelor last year, how there was a significant difference in numbers btw Melbourne & Sydney.

Whereas MKR is fairly even btw Melbourne & Sydney, etc.

But you could also argue Melbourne watch more TV, etc (as they have been the #1 TV market since OzTam began)?

Sydney is the number one TV market based on population. It is hard to say which city watches the most TV as FTA is not the only source. While it often looks like shows get more viewers in Melbourne, people in Sydney and Brisbane watch more Foxtel than in Melbourne.

2 Likes

True.

With Foxtel, wouldn’t that be because its ratings are in total (metro + regional), QLD & NSW?

I’d be worried if Brisbane’s Foxtel ratings were higher than Melbourne, considering massive population difference in those two citiew + Fox Footy.

Fox Footy is also regularly at the top of the Foxtel ratings, with AFL productions & simulcasts performing very well.

Foxtel performs very poorly in South Australia & WA doesn’t it?

I don’t know if state and/or city breakdowns are provided for Foxtel from OzTam?

When I say rating, I mean the audience share and I was just referring to metropolitan - Sunday and Brisbane have a higher percentage of people watching Foxtel than Melbourne. But with Sydney and Melbourne having similar populations (for ratings purposes), if the audience share for Foxtel is higher in Sydney it can make the FTA audience numbers look lower in that city even though the same number of people are watching TV as in Melbourne.

SA and WA are significantly less than the east coast.

Yes OzTAM does per city breakdowns, but the report they allow to be produced only shows the 5-city total.

1 Like

###Week commencing 15 May 2016

Sunday 15 May
06:30 pm Modern Family – S6 Ep11
07:00 pm Modern Family – S7 Ep21
07.30 pm MasterChef
09:00 pm Shark Tank
10:00 pm NCIS: New Orleans – S2 Ep7

Monday 16 May
07.30 pm MasterChef
08:30 pm Have You Been Paying Attention?
09:30 pm CSI: Cyber – S2 Ep17
10:30 pm Elementary – S4 Ep15

Tuesday 17 May
07.30 pm MasterChef
08:30 pm NCIS – S13 Ep16
09:30 pm NCIS: Los Angeles – S7 Ep16
10:30 pm NCIS: Los Angeles – S4 Ep11

Wednesday 18 May
07.30 pm MasterChef
08:30 pm Madam Secretary – S2 Ep21 and 22
10:30 pm Hawaii FiveO – S5 Ep15

Thursday 19 May
07.30 pm MasterChef
08:30 pm Gogglebox
09:30 pm Law & Order: S.V.U. – S17 Ep14
10:30 pm Blue Bloods – S6 Ep10

Friday 20 May
07:30 pm The Living Room
08:30 pm The Graham Norton Show - S19 Ep6 Guests include John Malkovich, Samuel L Jackson, Tom Hiddleston & Chvrches.
09:30 PM Movie: TBA

Saturday 21 May
06:00 PM Ice Age
07:40 PM Ice Age: The Meltdown
09:30 PM TBA

I know it’s been said before but TEN really needed an Australian drama ready for Wednesday’s following Masterchef to have a stronger 8:30/9:00 lineup for the week.

Also interesting that they have opted for movies from 6pm Saturday and not the usual Modern Fam/Bondi Vet/Scorpion lineup.

1 Like