Ten Network - Programs and Schedules

But wasn’t this episode taken in 2016?

So 3-hour delay of news in Perth?

What are the poor bits?

1 Like

Don’t like much about the weekend still and some bad choices for after 9:30pm shows.

People are being very unreasonable. Do Seven or Nine have anything good airing on Saturday’s? Do they invest heavily in quality programming after 9-9.30pm? The answers to these questions do not mean Ten should follow their lead but given the dire straits the network is in, I would have thought prioritising 7.30-9.30 Sunday to Friday would have been a priority. When you rebuild a house you can’t do every room at the same time. It’s a staged process that takes time.

5 Likes

In peoples defence this is a discussion for tens schedule not nines and sevens. It shouldn’t be something we compare.

1 Like

And what rates after 9.30pm these days? Absolutely nothing. I’m happy with that schedule, the reality stuff isn’t my cup of tea. I’ll watch more of that than any other Network.

1 Like

You are dead on target there. 30 years ago, the networks had news programs around 10:30pm, but with the exception of Ten, the other commercial networks abandoned then in the early 1990s. Other than specific sports such as Rugby League and Cricket, unless its a major event, nothing rates highly after 9:30pm, pure and simple. No one is going to blow their budget for that time of the night when most folk are heading to bed

It is a bit like my argument that the main commercial channels should NOT be airing more than 2 hour blocks of infomercials and religious programs between midnight to 6am, period. Secondary channels NO more than 6 hours of infomercials and religious programs at ANY time, BUT whilst the commercial channels can command a premium price for airing infomercials on the main channels and being wither paid to screen religious programs or getting them for free, that is just wishful thinking.

In the schedule above, on 4 of the nights, Ten has programs stating at 9pm running to 10pm (probably later). So on those nights the 9.30pm timeslot seems to be pretty well covered.

3 Likes

9:30pm is the wind-down time for people, so most folk head to bed after that. so again with the exception of sport, most will be off to bed soon after

And, outside Gogglebox, which of them will do over 300k post 9.30pm? Gogglebox is the interesting exception, would be at 8.30pm except for Ten padding out their reality offerings. No way does Survivor or the Bachelorette need to be longer than 60 mins.
Not particularly criticising Ten here, all the commercials do the same thing. I’ve found it easier the past few years to record everything and watch zero ads. Doesn’t really matter if it’s on at 2am, as long as the epg is correct.

Huh?

Nightline was only axed in the late 2000s.
Seven did late news through to the mid 2000s.

1 Like

Survivor Reunion rated 500,000 last year and last week’s episode of Playing for Keeps had 465,000 - so that’s probably 3 out of the 4.

I am talking about the big-budget productions such as Tonight Live and Coast To Coast

You missed the point entirely and TV Blackbox had this very discussion last week. It’s about needing to be put in more effort and potential success stories, rather than your rather blasè view of not trying at all.

After all, shares are 6pm… To midnight.

Thank you for your attempt to control the conversation. Schedules don’t exist in isolation. There’s a competitive landscape in television and decisions about Programs and Schedules for one network are affected by what’s on other networks. It makes perfect sense to compare and contrast.

I’m not trying to control the conversation. I just dont particularly think its a good excuse that another networks schedule is weak so its ok tens is. This is a discussion for tens schedule not nines or sevens.

I dont necessarily agree tens schedule is weak. I just wouldn’t use the argument sevens and nine is worse to justify my opinion. I think that is irrelevant.

In the context of designing a schedule and commenting on what’s put out, I think it’s very relevant to look at what competitors are doing. People on here who are always chastising Ten for not doing much on Saturday’s need to justify why that night should be a priority when it isn’t for other networks here or in most jurisdictions.

But that is not what is being discussed is it? The argument was Ten’s schedule is weak. Hence, Nine and Seven’s schedules are irrelevant to that argument.

It’s not irrevlant to question what the schedule is weak in comparison to. Business and life 101. Perspective is important. Think outside the box, broaden horizons etc

But that wasn’t what the argument/discussion was. It was Ten’s schedule is weak. It wasn’t Ten’s schedule is weak in comparison too. You can have multiple schedules that are weak. Anyway I think we should just agree to disagree.