Ten Network - Programs and Schedules

Not saying 24/7 but I don’t see why a main channel can’t have Australian content from 5pm-10:30pm. With CBS All Access coming to Australia there are ways to make money back on local investments.

I have to agree, but would probably be better placed on Friday and/or Saturday night so it can give updates for events such as football and other late finishing sports.

In addition, Ten could and possibly should look at a sports based program during the day on Saturday or Sunday - even if its in the guise of a sports breakfast

1 Like

Because it costs money and may not be a sustainable level of investment in a climate where audiences and ad revenue are declining?

1 Like

Thats only an excuse. With multichannels screaming for content having Australian products until 10:30 would only provide more content. You can easily make shows viable but placing encores on multichannels and potentially selling to streaming services or creating more for the one CBS is setting up.
That sort of logic is an excuse and not a good one. I remember a time where networks put their biggest drama at 9:30 and that was at a time when they didn’t have these streaming services to sell their content to.

2 Likes

I have to agree. Also if you invest in quality content, then it makes it more appealing to viewers and advertisers later in the week as encores if you need to fill a difficult slot on either the main channel or secondary channels

2 Likes

@ryan1890 you were only saying/asking yesterday how much lower ratings will go and will 200-300k be normal. This led to question the relevance and existence of free to air television in a few years.

This will simply be the case if networks continue the trend. It is obvious Ten are trying to invest in more local content which is simply fantastic. But it had to happen. If it doesn’t happen then exactly what you said will occur. Yes US shows are cheaper. But networks run the risk of losing a lot more than that savings they would have got for the hour. The run the risk of running television into the ground. The only way to bring back viewers to television is to air things they can’t get anywhere else. Can you get these US programs else? Yes. Can you get first run Australian content somewhere else before it airs on free to air? No.

1 Like

I totally agree with ramping up investment in domestic content and creating unique product audiences can’t get anywhere else. But what I’m suggesting is a miniscule amount of US content in primetime. Audiences do watch content from other countries on free-to-air. Handmaid’s Tale is another good example of that airing same day as US and being successful.

Look at the top multi-channel performers etc - most shows are foreign. If the parent company that owns the network has access to fast-trackable new content from someone like Dick Wolf or featuring prominent comedians, why would you not rush it to air? Because Daddy’s Home and Mean Girls repeats better than that or new seasons of SVU, NCIS etc?

2 Likes

But can’t they watch them on multichannels as well. You are suggesting a handful of US content but are also forgetting about 20-30 US shows that have failed hard.

Exactly my point. Put international products on multis.

No I agree. Fast tracking is vital. And if ten haven’t got content to air then go ahead air it in primetime. My idea is probably something into the future with the potential of more investment in local content.

3 Likes

Perhaps CBS want to keep these new US shows for TEN All Access… it will need some exclusive content. I assume CBS would make more money from subscribers then they would from the <500K that would watch these shows in a 9:30 slot on TEN.

2 Likes

Probably not.

Won’t they have all Showtime content as CBS owns them? Or is there an existing agreement that has to be honoured with Stan? CBS has a lot of other shows that could air exclusively on that platform, like Big Brother US etc.

Stan has an existing agreement with Showtime. Stan also has some agreement where they get CBS tv shows eg Man With A Plan (once Ten has aired it ) , Madam Secretary , Elementary etc. Though not sure how long after Ten as Stan only the 1st season of Madam Secretary.

Schedule update
Saturday 18 August
Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane
6:00PM Planes Gone Viral
7:00PM Rugby Union: Australia v New Zealand
9:45PM The Bachelor Australia encore (double episode)

Adelaide
6:30PM Territory Cops Rpt
6:30PM Rugby Union: Australia v New Zealand
9:15PM The Bachelor Australia encore (double episode)

Perth
4:00PM Ten Eyewitness News
5:00PM Rugby Union: Australia v New Zealand
7:15PM The Bachelor Australia encore (double episode)
11:00PM Elementary Rpt

Was looking out for the final episode of NCIS: New Orleans but there is no airdate.
However the episode is on Tenplay meaning that last Saturday Ten must have aired a triple episode instead of the scheduled double episode. There were no updates in this forum.
Can anyone confirm if a triple episode marathon aired last Saturday?

They did air a triple episode.

1 Like

For east coast viewers, is the Planes Gone Viral a new or old episode?

They did. It doesn’t rate so burnt off in an epic 3-hour season final.

Week commencing 26 August 2018

Sunday 26 August
07:30 pm Russell Coight’s All Aussie Adventures S3 Ep04
08:00 pm TBA
10.30 pm Sports Tonight
11:30 pm Elementary S6 Ep05

Monday 27 August
07:30 pm Australian Survivor
08:30 pm Have You Been Paying Attention?
09:30 pm Street Smart
10:00 pm The Graham Norton Show
11:00 pm Man With A Plan S2 Ep15

Tuesday 28 August
07:30 pm Australian Survivor
09:00 pm Bull S2 Ep15
10:00 pm NCIS: Los Angeles x 2 Rpt

Wednesday 29 August
07:30 pm The Bachelor Australia
08:30 pm Pretty Woman
10:45 pm Hawaii Five-O Rpt

Thursday 30 August
07:30 pm The Bachelor Australia
08:30 pm Gogglebox Season 8 Premiere
09:30 pm Blue Bloods S8 Ep18
10:30 pm Blue Bloods Rpt

Friday 31 August
07:30 pm Living Room
08:30 pm Russell Coight’s All Aussie Adventures Rpt
09:00 pm Have You Been Paying Attention? Rpt
10:00 pm Street Smart Rpt
10:30 pm 2017 Montreal Comedy Festival Rpt

Saturday 1 September
06:00 pm Territory Cops x 3 Rpt
07:30 pm Ambulance
08:45 pm NCIS: New Orleans x 2 Rpt
10:45 pm Bull Rpt
11:45 pm Elementary Rpt

1 Like

Have they really got no content for post bachelor slot on a Wednesday and 2 and half hours of tba on a Sunday?

McGarvey carrying on about all this new content and they have nothing to run in those slots. Pathetic.

7 Likes