Ten Network 2020

1 Like

“10 is no longer the third TV network. We are ViacomCBS, a vital and confident multiplatform network within a content powerhouse attracting the most valuable audiences, challenging our competitiors in ways they never imagined.”-Beverley McGarvey.

That’s quite the identity crisis they’re having. They didn’t want to be known as Ten and now they don’t want to be 10 to media buyers. Who the hell are they? Pick an identity and stick with it for more than five minutes.

I’m sure Seven and Nine are shaking in their boots now that ViacomCBS is “challenging their competitors in ways they never imagined” considering they don’t rate double figures some nights and 10 All Access is a laughing stock.

9 Likes

Well they’re almost the 2nd rated primary channel this year, and their pitch is to ad buyers who would buy across their whole suite of products.

2 Likes

I think you are spinning the spirit of her message a little.

She’s saying they Are no longer a weak #3, which they very much are not.

They are nipping at the heals of Seven for the 2nd position in 25-54 - everyone in the industry knows that. Especially Seven

10 All Access is not good. I agree. I think that will change when CBS ALL Access turns into a HBO Max like platform with content with a dozen CBS networks. 10 ALL Access with follow.

And its sounds like its ill have an all new name too from what CBS has said.

So it wont feel like a 10 catch up player.

Seven has nothing.

4 Likes

Just rename them:

Network Identity Crisis

• 10 Osher with a side of MasterChef
  • 10 NCIS
  • 10 sitcom
  • 10 ViacomCBS rejects - coming soon
6 Likes

But its mostly due to Seven’s poor performance rather than an improvement to Ten’s

1 Like

Or is Seven’s poor performance due to 10’s improved?

Celebrity, Goggle, Bachelor, Masked, Project, Master, Sunday Project, 6pm News… they are all good Shows.

4 Likes

I don’t dispute they’ve had ratings growth but the gaping holes in the schedule that have been in existence for years still exist and continue to be ignored. They rely on their tentpole shows too heavily and fall in a hole once seasons are completed. There’s just no schedule depth and there doesn’t appear to be a desire to develop alternative programming.

3 Likes

I agree. Gaping holes. No doubt. And still really odd decisions sometimes.

But they are up significantly year on year.
Nine flat.
Seven down.

3 Likes

Sounds like a good meal to me.

I don’t think anyone would disagree that Ten are in a better position now than they were three or four years ago.

But at the same time, the problems of relying on tentpole shows too heavily and the gaping schedule holes still remain. As the case is with Seven, I’d also argue that Ten needs to move away from the concept of reviving other networks off-cuts. Adding some new/different personalities into the mix (rather than having Dr Chris Brown, Julia Morris, Grant Denyer, Amanda Keller and Osher Günsberg as the five main hosts of almost every flagship primetime show) wouldn’t be a bad idea either.

3 Likes

And how are Nine any different?

2 Likes

To be fair to 10, you can say the exact same things about Nine and Seven. It’s stunning that all three commercial network’s schedule depth problems are so bad that if their reality tentpoles don’t fire (or if they aren’t airing them on a given night), they generally fall apart like a house of cards

3 Likes

Tentpole TV is the current programming and business model for commercial TV in Australia (+ overpriced sports rights).

Look what happens when it fails for Seven or even Nine for the last couple of weeks when they only have 2 days worth.

2 Likes

whats tentpole tv?? is like how tenpoles support a tent? and if so how does that work?

I think Nine have backed off from the idea of trying to get formats previously associated with other networks (eg, Australia’s Got Talent, Big Brother) in the last few years.

Having said that, Nine definitely don’t deserve to be enjoying the moderate primetime success they’ve had recently. Shows like The Block (at least until The Masked Singer) was only really “the least worst option” compared to what Seven & Ten had on as competition.

1 Like

One thing that hasn’t received much attention is the fate of Pluto TV and if CBS Viacom will launch it in Australia.

It seems to be getting talked up in the last quarter financial report from the company in the US with significant growth and expansion abroad.

In free, Pluto TV’s domestic monthly active users (MAUs) grew to a record of 24M+, an increase of 55% year-over-year.

− In March, Pluto TV rolled out its most significant product upgrade, introducing a new interface, updated features and improved search capabilities for an enhanced user experience.

− Pluto TV expanded distribution in the US and internationally, including with XBOX, Roku, Verizon in April and TiVo in May. In the quarter, Pluto TV also launched in 17 countries in Latin America, with more than 12,000 hours of Spanish-language programming

2 Likes

It props the whole schedule up. Simple

To 10’s credit, they have a bit of variety of tentpole programs (2 or 3 a week, I’m a Celebrity and Masterchef being the obvious exceptions) that occupy a week. If one of their shows fail they still have another one to back it up and props up their week.

2 Likes

Ok GUYS can we please stop saying gaping holes so much…

10 Likes