Ten Cricket Coverage

It was during the rain delay :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’d rather do that than watch rain falling in front of a light tower on the big screens

The whole #WatermelonBoy2 thing during the Melbourne derby was painful. Andy Maher must’ve been one of the only people in Australia interested in it.

5 Likes

Mel Jones doing play by play tonight with Ricky Ponting and Damien Fleming in special comments.

It’s been good to see Mel being the main commentator in a few of the BBL games so far - she really should be their 3rd commentator behind Mark Howard & Adam Gilchrist instead of using Andy Maher

5 Likes

I agree

I don’t have a problem with any of Ch 10’s commentators :slight_smile:

I can see why Andy Maher is used for the major games (at least in Melbourne), because lots of people know him.

So just cause a lot of people know of him makes it ok? If that logic is used than I expect to see Humphrey b bear in the box tonight, cause plenty of people know of him from all areas of Australia and ages!!

2 Likes

Well, they’ve used Andy twice (if not more) in a row now for the biggest non-final BBL game :grinning:

There must be a reason.

What I was getting at is, he is much more known (in Melbourne at least) than Mark Howard. Andy goes gack to Ch 7 in the 90s I think and has done numerous roles at networks / radio.

Roger Oldridge… Blast from the past.

I remember him as a senior sport journo at Ten News Melbourne.

Is that all he does now? Occasional BBL boundary riding?

According to twitter, head of media at Ladbrokes.

I remember him before that as a sports journo on WIN Tasmania.

2 Likes

Bit off topic but it is really deflating seeing all these sports journalist and players become mouth pieces for these betting companies.

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more.

1 Like

[quote=“LukeMovieMan, post:130, topic:1389, full:true”]I can see why Andy Maher is used for the major games (at least in Melbourne)[/quote]I cannot. Andy Maher is truly awful and terribly lets down any broadcast he’s part of. I honestly can’t understand how he still gets work in this field.

[quote=“ando9185, post:135, topic:1389, full:true”]

[quote=“LukeMovieMan, post:133, topic:1389”]
Roger Oldridge… Blast from the past.

I remember him as a senior sport journo at Ten News Melbourne.[/quote]

I remember him before that as a sports journo on WIN Tasmania.[/quote]He was wasn’t he. Great memory! If I’m not mistaken, he left WIN towards the end of 2006 before landing a role at Ten the following year :wink:

3 Likes

Yeah, was hard to track information to confirm it though but I definitely remember him there for a little while. Would have left around 2006 as you say before popping up on Ten Melbourne. It’s interesting how many reporters from Tassie pop up on the Melbourne bulletins and as sports reporters across all channels but that’s for another topic.

1 Like

Camera error in the first over of Melbourne Stars innings in this evening’s match against Sydney Thunder. You can see the numbers from the viewfinder showing frequency and frame rate.

No Andy Maher in the Melbourne derby so far. Gilchrist, Ponting and Fleming. Perfect commentary team.

5 Likes

Australian captain Steve Smith will be guest commentator on Monday night’s match between the Sixers and the Renegades at the SCG, while head coach Darren Lehmann will join the commentary team at The Gabba this Wednesday for the Heat-Scorchers clash.

1 Like

Interesting from Ch 10, showing the BBL is averaging higher 5 city metro ratings than the test cricket on Ch 9…

Considering how every BBL game has been in primetime, it shouldn’t be that surprising