Ten Cricket Coverage

Dates for the Twenty20 international series cannot be changed due to travel arrangements.

Well as I said I believe there will be a few double headers.

I agree, I think that almost a lot of the extra games will be added in as double headers and/or afternoon games.
I also think they wouldn’t want to extend it much later, as it will be more challenging to engage families once schools go back.

Of more interest I think, is which “non-traditional markets” will get games. Assuming that each teams plays their extra home game in a regional area, we could see something like:
Brisbane Heat: Townsville
Sydney Sixes: Canberra
Sydney Thunder: Newcastle
Melbourne Stars: Albury
Melbourne Renegades: Bendigo
Adelaide Strikers: Darwin
Hobart Hurricanes: Launceston
Perth Scorchers: Bunbury (I’m less sold on this, but have chosen it as the second largest population centre in WA)

Alice Springs could get a game too instead of one of the above.

My plans of BBL coverage will be that the women’s start on 2 Dec 17 and finish all the way to 27 Jan 18 (even though there is a ODI played at the New Perth stadium). Men’s BBL could start on 19 Dec 17 and finish all the way to 27 Jan 18. CA would be dumb to schedule a BBL game on Aus Day.

Why’s that?

Traditionally, there is an ODI/Test played on that date in Adelaide.

Yes there is an ODI between Australia and England on Australia Day next year.

I reckon the BBL doubleheaders will be played mostly on weekends, New Year’s Day and the eve of Australia Day, at the risk of no 5pm news - I will leave that discussion to Ten News Content and Appearance thread.

Ah, well currently there is no Big Bash on ODI days, and I imagine that would continue.

well isn’t that because a ODI game is scheduled on Australia Day. Like it has been for many years now.

1 Like

Not just that but also T20Is in Adelaide.
Sydney hosted T20 Internationals and ODIs on Aus Day in 2013 and 2015 respectively.

1 Like

Perhaps there will also be an added game on Christmas Day? That just makes 7 extra double headers to add in.

Why do some think there will be regional games? CA would be stupid to take games away from Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane in particular with games selling out this year.

Because the CA statement said this:

Given that all the metros are already covered, that only leaves regional areas to fit into “non-traditional markets”

1 Like

Hmmm interesting. Still think they would be mad to take games away from those three markets where games are selling out. Fair enough in Melbourne and Sydney.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with you, but I also think that there is merit is having some games in new locations. It allows for more people to attend games and therefore come interesting in the sport - watch it on TV and playing it (CA have stated that one of their aims of the expansion is to get more people playing cricket) - potentially getting more value out of the extra games than just playing them at existing venues.

There’s also nothing to say that a fifth game in existing markets would sell out - holding more games gives people more choice and they may choose to attend the same number of games still - essentially selling the same number of tickets over 5 games instead of 4.

3 Likes

Possible they could look at Hong Kong and the rest of Asia, or New Zealand. Cricket NSW expressed a desire to go off shore this week.

1 Like

Ten would be cheering at the extra content with no extra charge to rights fees.

1 Like

It makes sense to me that the extra home game for each team might be played outside of their usual home stadiums - e.g. Thunder/Sixers could play at Manuka Oval; Stars/Renegades at Geelong (remember there’s a T20I game there soon); Hobart in Launceston; Heat at Metricon Stadium or up in Townsville/Cairns. Adelaide or Perth could play at Alice Springs or Darwin.

2 Likes

WBBL games could possibly play in WBBL03:
Strikers - could play in Whyalla, Mt Gambier
Heat - Metricon, Sunshine Coast, Cazaly’s Stadium
Hurricanes - York Park, Launceston
Renegades - Bendigo, Mildura
Stars - Simonds stadium, Ballarat, Casey park,
Scorchers - Albany, Mandurah, Bunbury, Aquinas College Salter Point
Sixers - Wollongong, Manuka Oval,
Thunder - Newcastle, Coffs Harbour, Port macquarie,

I don’t think there will be that many regional games. Perhaps 4 max. It would cost CA a lot to set up cameras etc and they would need proven grounds to do it. Canberra, Alice Springs, Launceston and Gold Coast are the only ones I can think of that have had televised games. I couldn’t see CA moving games out of Adelaide and Perth to be honest.

1 Like

TIO stadium in Darwin did host a few ODIs against Bangladesh in 2008 so that could also be an option.