Ten Affiliates

I think Canberra may have been behind at one stage if they had issues or a sport event overtook the timeslot but they would catch up pretty quickly. I used to watch Ten Capital News and neighbours and I don’t remember the episodes being out of sync when I travelled to Brisbane for example. Given The Simpson’s was on at 5 which were repeats having a double episode of neighbours would not have made much of a impact to the viewer if they missed a Simpson’s episode.

1 Like

Actually, when Canberra had Neighbours at 5.30 rather than 6.30 it was indeed a day behind. I was a teenager at the time and my cousins in Sydney would often be on the phone and tell us what was going to happen.

When they axed Ten Capital News - they had to show a special ‘hour long Neighbours’ to catch the Canberra audience up.

3 Likes

This changed happened in 1992 when TEN moved its flagship hour bulletin to 5pm. Capital gave it a go with the Canberra bulletin, but there was huge viewer backlash. Especially about the trashy American dating show Studs, which had taken the news slot. CTC moved the Canberra news back to 6pm after just a few weeks and Studs was taken off air completely. They backfilled this with the Muppet Show - see below.

The schedule ended up being (in Autumn 1992)
TEN
4.00 Candid Camera
4.30 The Wonder Years
5.00 News
6.00 Studs
6.30 Neighbours
7.00 Hinch

CTC Canberra
4.00 The Muppet Show
4.30 The Wonder Years
5.00 Candid Camera
5.30 Neighbours
6.00 News
7.00 Hinch

4 Likes

at the same time Southern Cross Network in Victoria created SCN Eyewitness News at 6.30pm in response to Ten moving its news to 5pm. SCN had alternative programming between 5pm and 6pm, SCN Local News aired in its heritage markets of Central Victoria and Gippsland at 6pm while Ballarat and Albury/Shepparton had Studs.

1 Like

What exactly was the format structure like for SCN Eyewitness News? I assume that it would’ve followed the same bulletin format as Ten Eyewitness News had at that time but with a more localized focus.

I’m fairly certain that local bulletins aired in areas at 6pm, followed by a statewide bulletin with greater focus on national/international stories. Way ahead of it’s time

1 Like

Kinda guessing the format was pretty close to what Prime/7 Regional has been serving up in their 6.30pm slot in NSW currently - pretty much Southern Cross’ own bundling together of the stories out of 10 Melbourne with a local reader.

Example captured via YT (not mine), in January 1992 after aggregation started, featuring the late Rob Gaylard:

6 Likes

A very poor attempt at a professional logo cover up I don’t know why they had it transition from the right instead of fade into view after the Eyewitness News text appears it would have looked better. Who is the voice over person sounds like the same one the Capital city bulletins were using at the same time?

2 Likes

And what’s with the long pause after the station ID is done?

1 Like

clearly they were running a few seconds early and waiting for the bulletin to start, remembering too that they were running a split schedule (local news in Bendigo/Gippsland, regular programming in other markets) so there might have been a delay so all markets started the national news together.

2 Likes

Ah, so basically a locally hosted composite bulletin to substitute for ATV’s metro bulletin but using sourced material from the metro bulletin?

1 Like

It was the same voice-over as the metros, yes. The Ten logo on the metro intro would’ve faded in over its “outline” before the time the Southern Cross logo shoots in (compare Melbourne version: Ten Eyewitness News With Mal Walden April 1992 - YouTube), so it does appear like it was specially done for them, or that Southern Cross were at least given the template without the Ten logo to do so (as it doesn’t look quite right).

I dunno though, it’s a lot better than what Southern Cross (especially when they became SCN later on) ended up doing themselves in the last couple of years of the branding in Victoria.

Who is the voice over?

:man_shrugging: No idea, voice overs aren’t my thing; someone would likely know though as Ten metro used it for ages.

1 Like

Ten Capital News - Illawarra/South Coast Weather Update with Andrea Close 31/8/2001:

5 Likes

some ads/promos from Capital Television in Canberra in March 1989, the last days before WIN and Prime entered the market. Interesting that while the ident is of Capital Television and there are a couple of broader program promos that look like they had a Capital logo slapped on, the promos for shows like Neighbours, E Street and Good Morning Australia are just Channel Ten promos with no modification.

YouTube: d0nkeyshines

And at 13:59 a different version of the Capital name into the Ten ident compared to this later version:

YouTube: @SouthCoastTV

5 Likes

Looking at the two variants, i actually prefer the first one.

CTC7 1989 2

3 Likes

I noticed a few days ago looking at the Ten X idents that there appeared to be two versions of it with differences in colouring. One was more grey, with colour added on the other version.

With the above post, I am not sure if those two screenshots are actually different idents. It might just be the variation in capture/recording causing that colour change between the two.

5 Likes

Paul Ricketts. Also known as Scott Newman. Passed away in 2018.

2 Likes

Paul Ricketts was also the voiceover at Foxtel and various Foxtel-owned channels from startup in 1995.

1 Like