Ten Affiliates

Didn’t Capital take a dirty Ten feed overnight in that era? That could where the Ten-branded trailers are from.

2 Likes

that is possible, but the idents would then be Ten branded as well, and the ads shown are Canberra based ads.

4 Likes

And the ad for the local news states that it’s branded “Ten News” rather “Ten Capital News” or “Capital News”.

1 Like

Capital couldn’t use “Capital News” because there is a country music magazine in Australia with the same name.

1 Like

They kept using the Ten News branding long after the rest of the Ten stations had moved onto the Eyewitness News branding. Example from 1991 Canberra Raiders / Penrith 1991 Grand Final - YouTube
Credit: jmoul59 (YouTube)

3 Likes

that was a Canberra-based promo with Capital news director Ken Begg, but as others have mentioned, Capital used the Ten News brand.

1 Like

That’s correct, and that magazine’s certainly still going. Although to be fair, given it was considered a fully-fledged member of Network Ten at the time of aggregation, “Ten News” wouldn’t have sounded totally out of place on Capital - although as pointed out by @Mechsta, it looks like they didn’t take the metro “Ten Evening News” look or sound later on (which was obviously more famous when it went back to Eyewitness News)…

…though it sounds like it used the name at least. Earlier versions of Ten News on Capital that had popped up on YouTube had the voice-over referring to it as “Ten National News” in the intro, presumably to promote that it was a full integrated bulletin, unlike what Prime or WIN were offering.

They’d eventually move to “Capital Eyewitness News” - stuff on YT from this period is relatively scarce but some promos:

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eFyR22yqc8 - must’ve been very early in 1995, but the year seems correct given the topic, showing the Eden woodchip protest of January in that year - showing what they did with the Eyewitness news logo)
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uck5o7xL5m8 - 1993 promo which seems to suggest that they also added the southern cross around the logo sometimes, obviously in a different way to… um, Southern Cross Network did)

They were never really “Ten Capital” until Southern Cross owned them… the 10 TV Australia logo aside, they were almost always “Capital Television” while Ten owned them, without hiding that they were part of Network Ten itself.

3 Likes

It is hard to find video clips from that period at CTC. There are newspaper reports noting that the Canberra news rebranded to TEN News in September 1988, in time for the Olympics. The news set and format was almost identical to Brisbane. You can see a clip here from December 1988, courtesy of then sports presenter Greg Robson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVuiJAw7SHQ&t=207s

At the time, it was kind of like a Channel 9 on the WIN Network situation. It was Channel TEN on Capital Television.

5 Likes

This clip from November 1989 shows the end of the Canberra TEN News with weather from Rosemary Church (now CNN), then 10 TV Australia ident, into Neighbours.

5 Likes

Yes, I first had a good look at Capital in early 1994, and with the local bulletin ID’d as TEN News being on a station otherwise branded as Capital seemed odd.

Its weird how we now have the reverse, with WIN News or NBN News on stations branded otherwise as Nine.

1 Like

It was definitely Capital Eyewitness News in Canberra by March 1992 (Wednesday 11 March 1992 — CANBERRA – Television.AU). I remember the First at Five Failure vividly. I cannot find the news logo anywhere!

3 Likes

I see they moved Neighbours to 5:30pm up against Wheel of Fortune.

3 Likes

Canberra changed news to Capital Eyewitness news in Jan 1992 - with the short lived move to 5pm.

3 Likes

This from March 1992

4 Likes

This is a guess, but I think these were taken from the network showreel for the year - localised to show Canberra viewers how exciting Capital TEN (as we called it then) was going to be after aggregation. They were about to suffer the loss of big shows like A Country Practice and Rugby League coverage. Plus WIN had Hey Hey It’s Saturday, which CTC never showed.

After aggregation, CTC used 95% of TEN promos unchanged, but idents were X Capital until mid-dawn, when the feed came from TEN 10. They were the first 24 hr station in Canberra.

3 Likes

They used to take the Ten Sydney feed direct with ads during the 90s in the early hours of the morning. I distinctly remember there were slight graphic differences for Community Service Announcements on Ten Sydney. I think during the Capital time period the station closed overnight and during a period when the station was branded Ten Capital I remember the station close graphics and you would see a home shopping show that Ten Sydney showed that you’d see for a split second before the station close graphics.

4 Likes

Conversely Nth NSW only got 24 hour Ten from 1995 when the West Indies hosted Australia in a Test series over there.

Prior to that, there was only 1 day that I recall them being on air in the early hours, that was on the first day of aggregation (31 Dec 1991) when they started broadcasting into Newcastle at 12am on that day.

They ran their own programs for the first couple of hours before picking up the TEN schedule at 1.50am with a repeat of the movie “Absolute Beginners”.

1 Like

From what I understand (although it is second/third hand), it remained 24 hours in Canberra but the relays in places like the south coast and Wollongong closed down overnight. [There was an example of this on YT but their search now is useless with such a generic term like “Capital” or even “CTC” :roll_eyes:] Some 24-hour capital city stations taking a “national” feed from Sydney was not unusual back then, especially during the early-90s downturn.

Of course, the “back to normal” as above made the suppertime schedule split in/out of Canberra anyway - as places outside Canberra got Sydney’s news at 5pm, and that was the case until Southern Cross chopped the Canberra bulletin several years later.

2 Likes

so suppertime schedule saw Sydney services switched seamlessly?

2 Likes

CTC was 24hr in 89 and 90. When Curran took over and 10 disappeared it reverted to closedown. When SC rebranded to Ten Cap in Feb 95, the 24hr schedule resumed. I’ve checked the old schedules on this. Yep, super geeky.

4 Likes