Ten Affiliates

Really enjoyed this, I’m still sad that Ten Capital News isn’t around anymore. Really great footage you got there too

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

2 Likes

Found an old news item from Ten Capital News Canberra in May 2000, over a year before the bulletin was axed.

Credit: Eamon Lindsay
2 Likes

How Ten’s affiliates (Capital and SCN) remade their 1991-94 ident.

5 Likes

NRTV used their own IDs completely different to the ones that Ten and other affiliates used around that time. This was their 1991-1994 ID, which was quite advanced for the time. https://youtu.be/PtRZiFWjDZs

4 Likes

Northern NSW aggregation didn’t happen until 1994. I recall I saw a YouTube clip of an NRTV version of the “Just Watch Us Now!” promo from 1992, and I recall some of the Ten logos were intact. Or it was a different Ten “song-and-dance” promo…

1 Like

Actually, it happened on 31st December 1991.

4 Likes

The Capital one is :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I remember seeing the Capital one once when I went to visit friend during school holidays. I was floored … and then we went back to playing Duck Hunt.

4 Likes

This ID was used by TNQ’s UHF station channel 41 in Darling Downs/Toowoomba.

6 Likes

Ten Queensland ident from 2000, Mackay Harbour version:

4 Likes

Were Ten Capital a day (or more) behind the network with Neighbours, Simpsons etc or did they get the programs pre-fed to them to stay in sync?

2 Likes

I recall reading that WIN were wanting to buy NRTV in the late 1980s/early 1990s. Now that would have been interesting had that happened. NBN as a Ten affiliate?

2 Likes

I remember that too, it would have been interesting to see how NBN fared as a Ten affiliate… not too well, I would think.

1 Like

Here’s an interesting article on The Canberra Times from June 1994 in relation to the above.

Canberra’s favourite TV programs, Roseanne, Baywatch, Seinfeld and Melrose Place, have become bargaining chips in an action by the Ten Network to suspend their supply to Capital Television.

The Ten Group Ltd’s board is understood to have resolved yesterday to seek court approval for the suspension of its programming agreement in retaliation against a court action mounted by Capital’s owner, Charles Curran.

Ten’s fury has been sparked by Mr Curran’s allegation that the sale of another Ten affiliate, Northern Rivers Television, breached the Broadcasting Services Act.

This is almost reminiscent of what Nine threatened to do to WIN back in 2007 during their affiliation dispute at that time.

3 Likes

They sort of did. They affiliated their SA stations with Seven.

1 Like

I’d usually go back to the likes of AustLII for this but it appears NSW supreme court decisions only go back to late 1995, although some of the action dragged into that period… the BSA breach claim seems to relate to how it was an open question as to whether Canwest’s large, mostly non-voting economic stake put them in control of Ten (which obviously as a Canadian company, they could not have).

Sounded like a bit of tit-for-tat between the two, including Ten Group objecting of the sale of Capital to Southern Cross at the end of 1994 (https://espace.library.uq.edu.au/view/UQ:11191/UQ11191_OA.pdf, p.234).

Stood for “Northern Rivers TV”, which is what the area from the QLD border down to about Grafton or so is known as, so made up maybe three-quarters of 11-8’s pre-aggregation coverage area (the colloquial “Port [Macquarie] to Southport” they mentioned in the news, apparently).

But in the 1990s after aggregation and having its viewing area extended to Gosford, I guess “NRTV” probably just stood for itself, much like so many empty acronyms these days. Little wonder why Ten/Telecasters decided to get rid of the name, and it probably helped that Southern Cross were of the same mind.

2 Likes

pre-fed

1 Like

I was going to suggest the same thing until I realised the original question was 3 years old :slight_smile: but yeah, given the news only ran in Canberra and not in the other markets, it would’ve just been the normal episode at the normal time elsewhere, and just the same episode time-shifted for the Canberra market.

1 Like