Tech Talk

Hardware leaker @leaf_hobby, which was reported on by The Verge, revealed details on Intel’s Meteor Lake desktop platform. According to those details, Intel reportedly mentioned that its upcoming CPUs will support Windows 12. Since then, the tweet has been deleted and both Microsoft and Intel have declined to comment to The Verge on the validity of this report and other rumors.
There’s also a rumor that Windows 12 might be the first cloud-based OS, which doesn’t sound particularly far-fetched. If this is true, it could be hosted off-device and bundled with computing and storage as part of a subscription package

2 Likes

I don’t like the idea of a cloud based OS or subscription. I like the option of working off line and owning something for a fixed fee.

I might need to upgrade to Windows 11 (currently on 10) and/or look at alternatives down the track.

1 Like

This doesn’t surprise me one bit.

That would have to still be a feature. Maybe just with additional processing power in the cloud.

Apple music classical released overnight

https://www.xda-developers.com/apple-music-classical/

1 Like

My 2018 Tower PC (Dell Inspiron) is on the way out and have been considering replacements.

I already have a 2021 iPad Pro which has the vaunted M1 processor which should have plenty of grunt to run things like Photoshop and light gaming at 4K on an external monitor.

But it looks like I’m limited to running 2 devices eg. full sized keyboard, mouse, SSD storage via USB C adaptor and ioS doesn’t appear to support transfer of CD/DVD content to an iPad.

Am now looking at a Windows laptop or another Tower PC. Am leaning towards a laptop due to the smaller form factor and portability (as I could use that on the kitchen table for when I want to do something quickly and the potential for a dual screen set up with my 4K monitor). And as these days power, performance and connectivity etc isnt much different to a Tower PC.

2 Likes

Today marks the 50th birthday for the first mobile phone call and the barcode.

3 Likes

Just thought I would get everyone’s thoughts on this, I noticed the other day that Google has started running ads promoting Chrome web browser and trying to boost users by claiming it has its own malware protection. Now I don’t know how good it would be and I can’t really talk given I haven’t completely switched over to edge browser yet, but I just found it funny that the ad was running now given all the bad press Google chrome has had recently.

2 Likes

My Starlink kit arrived yesterday. Just sitting on the back lawn for the moment and have had speeds ranging from 80Mb/s to 270Mb/s but usually around 160+

No drop outs noticeable so far but haven’t fully put it through the paces, my NBN connection was around 25Mb/s but getting multiple dropouts so the family was just getting frustrated and NBN said I was getting the max speeds that I’d be capable of getting. Moved house in January and that’s probably been the worst aspect of it.

6 Likes

That’s the worst aspect of the NBN for me, I get probably 4 dropouts per day, which i believe is considered “normal”. And they often occur at the most inconvenient times!

Anyone tried Uberduck? I had a go of getting some British actors to read out the Wartime Broadcasting Service announcement. Some sounded like they were having a breakdown…

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1P3yKYauGfdzk1RvhZ2Xy4w3Nj7nvH8Ac?usp=share_link

2 Likes

Didn’t know it existed, but good to know!

I got this yesterday. ive not been able to complete a full game without a crash. its being returned to JB today

2 Likes
2 Likes

So glad I decided not to buy it. I had problems with the other one I released a few years ago. Their Cricket game from 2020/2021 was flawless. Perfect in every way.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Note the new Google Pixel Fold phone won’t be available in Australia.

1 Like

For tin foil hat wearers

2 Likes

Passengers on most Qantas flights to and from Singapore, Bali, Jakarta and Manila will be able to enjoy fast free WiFi from Tuesday May 30 when Qantas launches international inflight Internet.

2 Likes