Tech Talk

3 Likes
2 Likes

Managed to get an iPhone 14 Pro on the weekend.

was in Sydney on holidays and was checking the apple store reservation system. a purple 512 gig pro was available so i snagged it. I was told at the apple store they get in 3 or 4 a day of the pro / pro max range and they go within 40 or so seconds. the demand on the pro / pro max lines is through the roof this year

2 Likes

Noice!
What are your thoughts on it, are you happy with it, was it worth the upgrade?

1 Like

My last phone was an 11. Didnā€™t have 5G for starters going from a regular 11 to a 14 pro has been a big jump and Iā€™m really happy.

If I had a 13 I wouldnā€™t have bothered though.

edit: only major disappointment is that although i can have multiple sims, i canā€™t set ringones on a per sim basis (i have a work and personal sim in mine)

2 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes

Pixel watch ordered. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Do you have a Pixel phone as well?

I currently have a Pixel 5 that has been in use since 2020, however since I updated to Android 12 a little while back, the performance/reliability and battery life suffered somewhat compared to before, though it is still usable but glitches out occasionally on opening the camera for example, despite clearing space and updating. I have considered a backup and factory reset, but it isnā€™t too much of a problem for me to resort to it.

My Nexus 6P (the predecessor to the Pixel line) I had been given in 2015 was a great phone performance and resolution wise (speakers were stereo as well), however it too suffered battery issues which unfortunately later became a widespread issue, though Iā€™ve stuck with Nexus/Pixel phones due to their exclusive features and early updates.

Support and security updates for the Pixel 5 end in October next year, and while the Pixel 7 Pro looks nice (and the watch), I may consider buying a Samsung Galaxy Ultra in the future if the battery life is good, which Iā€™ve read was mixed on this yearā€™s model. So I may update either next year or the year after.

Iā€™m not knocking the Pixel line by the way, they have been great phones for me and its features outweigh the negatives, but I wouldnā€™t mind trying something different for a change next time around. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I donā€™t, but the watch just needs any Android 8.0+ phone, so My ZFold4 is compatible.

The Pixel phones are definitely good, and was gonna get a 6 Pro, but decided on the Fold instead as itā€™s a really good phone for productivity at work.

Change is a beautiful thing and with Android as well, is much easier with Google Play. :smile:

3 Likes
2 Likes

iā€™m now 24 hours into using my apple watch ultra and its pretty good. i came from a Series 7 45mm so to go to 49mm was not that big of a jump, but the extra space is good. i just wish there were more faces that took advantage of it - thereā€™s only the one but that does time in analogue and i prefer a digital time. Having 8 complications though is great

4 Likes

Apple TV 4K now has support for HDR10+ on top of Dolby Vision.

2 Likes

I do love some of the products that Apple make, but this new base model iPad is just stupid.
So much more expensive now and still only uses the Gen 1 Pencil which requires a dongle to charge. Mind-boggling decisions.

1 Like

They shouldve made it Gen2 Apple pencil compatible to be honestā€¦ Also the fact that the 9th gen iPad is still around is an odd choice as well as Apple usually replaces the base model when a new generation is out

2 Likes

They seem to have changed this philosophy lately.
The M1 Macbook Air continued to be on sale at the same price when the M2 model came out.

Seems that they can use this as a way to increase prices.

Iā€™m shocked the new iPad doesnā€™t support the Gen 2 pencil. Ludicrous decision.

3 Likes

is more that the demand for the 14 plus is not there. its been readily available since launch but the majority of people seemingly want the pro versions

1 Like