Tech Talk

I agree! There’s a charm to buying a CD, extracting it in iTunes/Winamp/Musicmatch Jukebox, and putting it on your iPod or MP3 player.

3 Likes

Don’t forget it’s also technically illegal lol. This is basically part of the reason Music stream started and took off. Mind you I was doing this myself back in the day when I had an iPod shuffle and then an iPod nano.

I think it’s legal nowadays to “format shift” your own purchased music ie. from CD to MP3 etc

6 Likes

Google Pixel 6 smartphone only came out in October last year, now it plans to release Pixel 7 later this year.

3 Likes

Great news that there’ll be another premium tablet competitor. They are a bit thin on the ground with only Apple, Samsung and Microsoft really in that market.

2 Likes

I just noticed that my Windows 10 toolbar had a temporary refresh with three hands of different colours, to mark National Sorry Day today.
Untitled

4 Likes
3 Likes

iOS 16 features announced. Released to developers, expected in September with release of new hardware.

2 Likes

RIP 1st gen iPhone SE, iPhone 6s, and iPhone 7

2 Likes
6 Likes

Vale IE. It was the first browser i used until Firefox came along (and now Chrome).

3 Likes

Ahh IE… the browser that killed Netscape. Bye bye IE!

2 Likes

What does this actually mean though? Is it that they will no longer be sending out updates for the browser? Or are the shutting it down completely? Not that i use it lol

1 Like

Yeah, i imagine you can still use it, but it may not show some websites as intended and will be more vulnerable to malware etc as its not being supported.

1 Like

yeah, you can still use it, but it will be on you more than ever if you get infected by a new vulnerability - it’s no longer MS’s responsibility to patch IE for new viruses.

3 Likes

Stopped using IE years ago, when Firefox was the standard! then Chrome came along. and have been using that ever since. Edge is nice, but Microsoft have some what have destroyed with all the bloated things they have put in it lately (such as the shopping code thingos).

On that note - I have been very keen on looking at the development of Windows Vista, the hottest and sexiest Windows that I have ever used that made me dance and spill my beer, it was interesting to note of the various delays and features that they were supposed to have but because of the dominance of XP at the time, it faced severly several delays.
I have it running in a virtual machine (off internet) and it is decent, but it definetly had its fair share of hatred and not sure why it got so much.

1 Like

I think a lot of it was its incompatibility with the hardware of the time. People install it well after Windows 7 and retrospectively can’t see what all the fuss was about. Also, they introduced rather intrusive security features which turned a lot of people off, which they reduced a little in Windows 7.

Personally, I love Windows 7. I’m used to Windows 10 now but 7 was a beautiful OS to use and to look at.

4 Likes

That is true, very much so Paul Thurrott argued about this in his Supersite for Windows at the time, and yes I agree it was intrusive, but I think it was geared towards people who would install every silly thing they found on the internet i did at the time and to take away administrative rights away from the main account, but still have the main admin account to do the installing and system changes.

I have a love hate for Windows 7 , It definetly was better, but the software that I was using at the time, was incompatible, lucky for me I just installed it as a second OS and did a dual boot.

Windows Media Centre was the best thing that I really loved about Windows 7! Windows 7 is what Vista should have been in the first place.

I really loved seeing the beta and development progress of what it was supposed to be and what it turned out as. I think they had many people working on Vista at the time.

Windows 8/8.1 was a georgous operating system, but removing the Start button and having tablet features on a pc without a touch screen was a stupid move. 8.1 fixed some of the mess, 8 was. but the start full screen should not have been mandatory on PCs that were not touch enabled.
I liked the the design of the Windows 8/8.1 themes and it just suited right with Windows 7 but Microsoft made a huge mistake in doing the modern ui crap.

Windows 11, I would say is now a much more usable OS, although under the hood Windows 11 is 10, just with a different name.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m still on Windows 10, haven’t been tempted or felt the need to update to 11 yet.

1 Like

Not really worth it at this point, as Windows 10 will be continue to be uspported till 2025. :slight_smile:

1 Like