Tech Talk

the iPod is now officially dead

7 Likes

Back in Christmas 2012, I received a new iPod touch for my present. I was extremely happy that I used a new iPod touch! My parents liked it! It was a blue cover and was a 5th generation iPod. I used the iPod touch to play other things including listening to music, taking photos, watching videos, downloading apps and more! But since 2015, my iPod started to wear out and the voice recorder stopped working. Therefore, I thought in my head that I wanted to stop using the iPod Touch.
I also had other iPods at home - the Ipod classic (where my late grandfather bought it back in 2007) and the iPod Nano (where I bought it back at Kmart in 2011).
CDs, cassettes and now iPods are all gone.

Vale iPod Touch (2007-2022) :frowning_face:

4 Likes

Thank God I kept my Sony Walkman and mix tapes.

4 Likes

CDs are still being made and sold though they don’t sell anywhere near the amount they did at their peak. Cassettes are starting to be made again but more as a novelty item by artists.

2 Likes

The iPod may be dead, but it introduced the term podcasting, which will live on forever.

6 Likes

Farewell to an old friend! I’ve had an iPod mini, 2 iterations of the nano, a shuffle and the 6th gen iPod Classic.

Now I use Apple Music on an Android. :joy:

4 Likes

Yes, Vale the iPod :cry:

I had a 120GB iPod Classic and later a 64GB iPod Touch.

My music now lives on an SD card on my Android phone and I use Spotify on all devices. There are a number of songs on my SD card that are not on Spotify though, i should upload them one day.

3 Likes

RIP iPod :pensive:
First owned an iPad Nano 4th gen, then iPod Touch 2nd gen, then iPod Touch 5th gen.
Still have them all!

7 Likes

It also effectively lives on in every iPhone and iPad. Or every phone really if you consider it to be what made MP3 players popular.

Yeh. All of mine are still going well. Probably the most useful is the old hard drive version that sits on a dock in the Roberts DAB+ radio / CD player / clock radio in the bedroom. I also keep one of the touch screen ones in the car I think in case I forget my phone.

2 Likes

I miss my old iPod Classic(s).
I don’t find Spotify as enjoyable but it is what it is

4 Likes

The first HDD player i bought wasnt an iPod, but a Creative ZEN Vision M in 2006… link below.

It was a great player, you could also view photos , videos, record on it and listen to FM Radio. It was more versatile than the iPod.

I think iRiver was another similar competitor back then too?

My dad had his iRiver for a long time. Up until about a year ago. It was since replaced with my mum’s old iPod classic :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

1 Like

i brought an ipod classic last year off ebay, it has been refurbed and had an SD card upgrade. it lives in my car, but due to the battery life (i get over 18 hours) its coming with me when i go to london in september. its loaded with MP3’s and audiobooks and works great

my first mp3 was a cheap no name one with 32 Meg of memory. the first decent one i got was this creative nomad jukebox

2 Likes

An SD card upgrade? iPod Classics always had hard disks.

1 Like

Correct. From the factory they do.

But you can buy boards from places like https://www.iflash.xyz/ that replaces the HDD with SDcards

2 Likes

Interesting - so theoretically you could have a 2TB iPod classic :joy:

2 Likes

Yes but you need to be very careful as there are space limitations and it varies depending on the iPod model - I have a gen 7 and it can only hold 128gb max

2 Likes

time to introduce you to a YouTuber named DankPods:

7 Likes

If you were mad enough to encode all your music at 32 kbps, a 2TB iPod could go nearly 61 years before it played all 8 million songs on it.

1 Like