Tech Talk

Ye, as annoying as Windows might be with their updating procedures, disabling updates altogether is just asking for it.

Apparently the NHS in Britain still mainly uses Windows XP. Would be interesting to see what our healthcare system is running on…

1 Like

Australia doesn’t have the same sort of national system as the NHS. Each state has its own hospital system, so no doubt they are all different.

Edit: I did see a medical centre the other day that was running this :neutral_face:

5 Likes

Did you tell them to be wary of the Y2K bug? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

You think that’s old?
The Myki public transport system used here in Melbourne runs on Windows CE (Windows 95)!

In fairly recent history (Late 2000s or thereabouts), I’ve seen either Myer or David Jones use computers at their cash registers which look like they have to be from at least the Late 80s/Early 90s. :open_mouth:

Not entirely accurate. The UK system is even more decentralised than Australia.

The NHS is split up into hundreds of ‘trusts’, which manage hospitals in a certain areas. Thats why some hospitals run by decent trusts were not affected, while some entire trusts were completely taken out.

Myer had some extremely old register terminals until the last few years - complete with dot matrix printers, single colour screens and a command line interface. I assume they were from around 2000-2001 as most stores had to upgrade to systems compatible with GST, but they could have been older. I believe all their stores have upgraded to much more modern registers now.

There were also some Woolworths/Safeway stores running ancient looks registers until maybe 5 or so years ago - but these seemed pretty confined to smaller stores that hadn’t been refurbished in a while, and some had had some updates such as thermal printers.

2 Likes

Myer Melbourne (CBD) has had them since they opened in around 2011.

Those are actually the “new” units. The old Nixdorf units that Myer once used were the same from the Late 80s through to the Late 00s, lasted a solid 20 years. The current ones still manage to look dated but have been around for less then 10 years.

1 Like

Sorry, meant Myer had the new units since 2011.

I dunno if Myer Ballarat still has the old units tho.

I am considering getiring a a new telly.

I currently have a Samsung D6400 (40 inch) which I am happy with except for some minor motion and some overscan issues, and that the screen is a little small for my current living area (as I bought it in 2011, but moved in 2014).

I could afford to get one of the new OLED TVs (the LG C6T 55 inch would be the one at $3495) but I kind of suspect that I am not going to get much if any improvement in picture quality over the current range of LED LCD TVs given most of my TV viewing is free to air (though I am hoping to get FOXTEL HD back on again if I can some cabling issues in my building/apartment sorted out).

The other thing I have noticed is that the current range of Samsung TVs still seem to use a lot of overscan. This was noticeable when I was out looking at TVs today as during a FOX League broadcast as the scoreboard was right down the bottom on the Samsung, but you could see below it on other TVs. I have used a PVR tuner to get around that with my current TV.

Just wondered what other people currently have, and what issues people having encountered watching free to air or pay TV on it?

I was staying with my uncle last week and he recently got a 65" LG curved OLED which was pretty spectacular. My budget wouldn’t stretch that far but I would definitely go OLED if it did. Probably wouldn’t go curved though, had all sorts of motion issues when viewing from the side (to my eye at least, he couldn’t see anything…).

I have a 55" Samsung LED (can’t remember the model number off the top of my head) which I bought on sale for a touch under $2k a year ago. Haven’t noticed any particular overscan issues but 95% of my viewing is via a Chromecast Ultra or on the PVR which makes a difference. Probably not very useful feedback but there you go anyway!

1 Like

Thanks! I don’t see the benefit in curved, I did see a OLED curved TV (2016 model) that was $500 cheaper than the 2017 flat panel one I posted above, but I couldn’t convince myself to get that. I really think I would prefer a flat panel.

I can’t imagine spending that much on a TV

1 Like

True, though they did have an LG Wallpaper TV (65 inches) at a princely $13,495.

And I think the sales guy said Sony are bringing out an 85 inch OLED TV, which would only set me back a cool $40k.

1 Like

Advert seen in UK this week - didn’t realise you could still buy cassette recorders and tapes.

4 Likes

Embarrassing confession time: I have a 1980s Sony Walkman in the boot of my car that I still use when I go for one of my long walks. The cassette player probably doesn’t work too well (dropped in the sand too often) but I couldn’t live without the radio, particularly for AM.

4 Likes
4 Likes

How retro. You could just use RadioApp on your smartphone and not need to carry that antique around. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Can’t get apps on my Nokia 6210.

Joking. Too worried about burning through data allowance. In other words I’m too cheap to fork out for extra allowance.

1 Like