Tech Talk

I have been researching XDA and Nougat can be run on the S3 decently.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/development/rom-crdroid-v1-5-t3517684 This rom is decent for the S3 for Nougat.

2 Likes

Was going to put a custom rom on my Galaxy S3 for fun. As I only use it as a back up toy. :stuck_out_tongue: Will let you know how i go with that rom you posted, AddictedToTVPres :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Samsung finds internal short circuiting in Galaxy Note 7 batteries caused the phones to heat up and catch on fire: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-23/samsung-galaxy-note-7-fires/8203078
Samsung has certainly learned a very costly lesson from this. I am sure it and other manufacturers will be very careful from now on when designing new phones.

3 Likes

This was covered on Nine News (Sydney) tonight too.

They also confirmed a new flagship Samsung phone (presumably the S8) will be out in April.

Will be interesting to see what new features that will bring.

Zinc 96 are basing their retro countdown today on the 30th anniversary this week of the first mobile phones to go on sale in Australia. (This is non-car phones - they had been around for 5/6 years)

Fun fact so far - the charge on the first phones lasted about 6 hours and the talk time was < 20 minutes.

2 Likes

SMH 23 June 1950 article about the imminently available PMG car radio telephone, that had limited range and was initially a party line.

I’m drooling over the Galaxy S8 - want one so badly!

1 Like

Looks good.

Seriously, who would buy a refurbished Sumsung Galaxy Note 7?

One of my mates who got one a few weeks ago

I think the S8 has some bits that are just a bit overkill - iris authentication really? Surely a thumbprint passcode is sufficient.

Quick random question - what’s the connectivity like between an android phone and a Chromebook? I know a lot about the windows phone with PC & iOS with Mac, but never chrome.

1 Like

ACMA has announced the results of the recent sale of spectrum freed up as a result of the re-stack of TV channels.

Sold! ACMA completes high-value spectrum auction

Telecommunications companies have scooped up both lots on offer in the Australian Communications and Media Authority’s auction of valuable 700 MHz spectrum.

The auction of the 700 MHz unsold lots began on Tuesday 4 April. After almost a week featuring strong bidding between three companies, the auction concluded on Monday 10 April, realising revenues of more than $1.5 billion, significantly exceeding the reserve price of around $857 million.

‘This additional spectrum will help industry meet ever-increasing demand for high-speed wireless broadband,’ said acting ACMA Chairman Richard Bean. ‘The public has realised record rates of return from the sale, and should now benefit from the services this 700 MHz spectrum can provide.’

TPG Internet Pty Ltd secured 2 x 10 MHz for $1,260,161,000 (equivalent to $2.75/MHz/pop) and Vodafone Hutchison Australia Pty Limited secured 2 x 5 MHz for $285,907,000 (at the reserve price of $1.25/MHz/pop).

This 700 MHz spectrum adds to the spectrum sold at auction in 2013 which is already used extensively throughout Australia to provide 4G mobile broadband.

‘The sale of the remaining unallocated portion of the 700 MHz ‘digital dividend’ spectrum brings an important chapter in Australian economic reform to a successful close,’ said Richard Bean. ‘It completes the digital dividend process begun in the 1990s, with the progressive conversion of free-to-air television from analog to digital technology enabling much better TV and a massive boost to high-speed wireless broadband in Australia.’

Subsequent reports:

TPG Telecom plans new mobile network

TPG Telecom has unveiled plans to build a $2 billion mobile network, with the telco raising $400 million from the market to become the fourth mobile operator in Australia.

TPG, which operates fibre-optic networks offering broadband and communications services, plans to spend about $600 million to roll out a network over three years and expects to achieve 80 per cent population coverage.

The long-awaited mobile play from TPG (TPM) comes after it splashed out $1.3 billion to pick up two lots of crucial spectrums at the latest 700 MHz spectrum auction, which has delivered a total windfall of nearly $1.6 billion to the federal government.

2 Likes

Hopefully it’s more successful than the last independent mobile network rollout - One.Tel.

Now I live in Bathurst, a small country town shit hole, but recently I discovered that a local bank opened up a free community tech hub and cafe (or internet cafe if you will.) So I decided to visit today, and man is it awesome, HTC Vives, 3D printers, Video walls, game consoles, phones, tablets, meeting booths. All free! It was all amazing, especially because this was in Bathurst. Its something you see in cities. Here is their Facebook page, you guys should check it out: https://www.facebook.com/GunthersLane/

5 Likes

That looks pretty good!

If it’s all free to use, I imagine you have to buy coffee or something to be able to use it though?

A virtual reality place has just opened near me (link below), but the cheapest experience is $15… don’t know if I’ll try it though.

1 Like

You should try the VR experience, they are usually pretty cool. As for the coffee, the coffee is optional (at a cost) and everything is free. It’s one of those hole in the wall ones

1 Like

Weird semi-tech question. Lately when I click on an Instagram picture in someone’s feed in a browser, when I click out of the picture it takes me back to the top of the page, instead of back at the place I was up to in the feed. It happens on my computer and iPad, but it’s only recently changed. Am I at fault, or have other people noticed this too?

Got an old IM client working.

On the MessengerGeek forums, I found this guy who has made a server for MSN Messenger. I’ll post a link if anyone wants it.

1 Like

I have that same problem too with Instagram… on a Windows 10 PC with Chrome.

Right clicking on the picture didn’t help either.

1 Like

Geez, I remember the old Yahoo Messenger and before Microsoft brought Skype.

It must be coming up to 8 Years since we got the superfast cable internet here.

1 Like

Holy C*ap.

Not even our local shitty library has that many facility’s.

I’m working on getting a mock TV set onto the Google Cardboard via Unity so I wonder how that will go :wink:

1 Like

I was swearing at Microsoft, having to update multiple computers over the last couple of days, but if it prevented something like this from happening…

I noticed a new feature in Internet Explorer with bookmarks and a news feed on the new tab. And in today’s feed - 10 Ways to Have Fun in Finland :slight_smile:

2 Likes