Tech Talk

[quote]The perks of the new Apple wireless earphones appear to have fallen on deaf ears, with questions emerging about their practicality and safety amid concerns the micro speakers could be a potential choking hazard.

… with dimensions at 16.5 millimetres x 18 millimetres x 40.5 millimetres, the new AirPods fits within the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s Product Safety Choke Check . If something fits inside the Choke Check it has the potential to block a child’s throat.[/quote]

My iPhone 5s (released in 2013, running ios 9) still does a very good job! No need to upgrade for a while…

Though if people already have wireless headphones, I’d imagine that you’d be able to use these with the new 7. I’d imagine it just uses Bluetooth audio.

The biggest issue that I see with the lack of a dedicated headphone jack is that you can’t charge your phone and use corded headphones at the same time

I’d imagine it will only be a matter of time until someone makes an adapter that can facilitate this.

Canberra Free Wi-Fi is not very generous with the daily data limit.

Samsung Galaxy Note7 owners told to stop using the smartphone amid new fire concerns

Samsung has urged all owners of its Galaxy Note7 smartphones to power them down and stop using them.

Wow!

Samsung said it had asked its global partners “to stop sales and exchanges of Galaxy Note7” while further investigations took place.

Those who have the device should seek a refund or exchange for a different smartphone, Samsung added.

1 Like

The end is coming for old 2G only mobile phones on all three mobile networks - Telstra on 1 December, Optus in April and Vodafone in September next year.

Do I really want Optus to spam my lock screen?

Hi guys, I am thinking of getting Facebook messenger. I’ve got a question, if I send a message through messenger, does the recipient need messenger? Or will it appear as an SMS to them?

Yeah, I think they need Messenger too.

It tells me that if the recipient isn’t on Messenger, they will be sent a link to install it in order to be able to see it.

I hate it, I much preferred the old way.

1 Like

They don’t need messenger app if they have facebook. They will be able to get the message through Facebook on desktop or mobile.

3 Likes

@Radiohead, @Nicholas Thanks, I might go and install it now

1 Like

Has anyone installed any custom ROM’s on their Android phone (like CyanogenMod)?

Me! Me! Me! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve got a OnePlus 2 and have installed CyanogenMod 7.1.1

Do not recommend it though. The 7.0 ROM doesn’t contain half the features that the 6.0 version contained, so I’ve considered rolling back but haven’t bothered. (But that may change depending on the phone that you have)

Interesting… Because I am considering getting a Galaxy S3 (actually bidding on one now on eBay) and will be installing CyanogenMod or any other ROMs that run Nougat which I can find on XDA.

Why only an S3?

Is it purely for experimental purposes?

Could it handle Nougat or a custom ROM of it?

The only problem with CM is that Cyanogen has pulled the plug on the ROM so it won’t receive any future updates unless individual developers keep up with it. Lineage OS is the new ROM they are developing.
Of course there are other options for ROMs though :slight_smile:

1 Like