Tech Talk

Exact same story. 56k in 1999, new Aptiva with Windows 95 (had to upgrade it about a week later). Was yours the black tower model with Bose speakers?

1 Like

It was this one, though mine only had a 15 inch monitor (not 17 inch as shown here).

I dont remember it having Bose branded speakers though

1 Like

I dreamed of having a Celeron processor! I would have loved a Pentium but my 486 had to do. I do however remember getting my first 6.4GB hard drive for Christmas and everybody wondering how I’d ever fill that! It was the first hard drive in our family greater than 500MB.

Our first family computer was a 486 which we got for Christmas 1994. I kept breaking it however and Christmas 1996 my sister and I got our own. I think the 6.4GB hard drive came around 1998 or 1999. I often got computer hardware for Christmas. I still remember my excitement for getting Windows Me.

Our internet experience at home started in 1997 with a Telstra BigPond startup disc. Had dial up for quite a while and also occasionally had a network running between the three computers in the house. It was only occasional as it was often down, it was also the black Coaxial cable network. Used to be on the internet a lot and got in trouble when we forgot to divert the phone through to the mobile phone or the fax number when we were online. The mobile phone we had was similar to an Ericsson (prior to them merging with Sony) GA628 it had a changeable keypanel colour!

We upgraded to ADSL around 2002 I think then I moved to Hobart in 2003 and had dial up before finally being able to afford my own DSL connection around 2004-5. Upgraded to NBN in mid-2017, had an order in on the first day of services being available.

1 Like

Bugger, so close. Mine was the one in photo. Aptiva’s were pretty good. Bloody expensive though. From memory, my parents bought it from Abacus in Perth for around $3k.

images

My first mobile phone. Oh the memories. :heart:

3 Likes

When I bought mine, the Pentium II 350 mhz was another $500 but exactly the same specs otherwise, so I baulked at that. $2,499 was expensive enough as it was.

I got 50 hours free Big Pond 56K dial up with it, that was pure heaven at the time. My first paid ISP was Microplex, whereby 40 hours was $40, which was still not bad, considering Big Pond charged $3-$4 an hour at the time.

1 Like

Yes, back when usage was charged by the hour rather than by the download amount.

1 Like

I agree with Monk that she should be allowed to buy whatever phone she wants to.

https://twitter.com/primroseriordan/status/1088390281009848320?s=19

I’m sure she’d say the opposite if somebody paid her more than Huawei have.

3 Likes

agree $$$$ talks and $$$$ can provoke ones opinions

The Samsung Galaxy Fold can open to be used as a small tablet, or stay closed and act as a skinny phone.

2 Likes

That’s very interesting!

Looks like the Galaxy Fold (at US$1,849) will be close to A$3,000 here, making the iPhone look a bargain by comparison.

Whilst it looks to be an amazing phone, but why SIX cameras? The world has truly gone mad.

Six cameras is too much. If Samsung drops 3-4 cameras the price can come down a bit.

1 Like

Trump wants 6G, something that doesn’t exist.

Gee! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Seeking assistance in NBN Internet Providers. I was with Infinity Broadband going back a few years ago but they sold their company to Activ8me. Activ8me has been absolutely shocking since we switched over. I was wondering if anyone knew any good internet providers? I prefer Australian businesses and preferably smaller business.

1 Like

I highly recommend Aussie Broadband. They have a local call centre and they stop selling accounts when their CVC’s are at capacity, meaning no slow speeds during peak times.

4 Likes

I have been very happy with TPG, particularly their NBN service. I guess much of this is due to the node being right out the front of my building, meaning consistent speeds of around 93 Mbps.

I did get quite a few dropouts when on ADSL, but none on the NBN.

1 Like

dont go with telstra there expensive with there nnbn plans and are not value for money

Telstra wouldn’t even offer me a 100 Mbps plan where I am, but TPG could.

Problems with Facebook and Instagram today - people are being urged NOT to ring 000 - just deal with it! :smile:

1 Like