Tech Talk

Obviously AI hasn’t learned how to recognise stupid questions yet. Or maybe it was a deliberate tongue in cheek response!

2 Likes

Saw this on-line :radio: Nostalgia

5 Likes

i actually wouldn’t mind a setup like that. i’ve been looking for one with tape deck, AM & FM, CD player and inputs (i already have a technics turntable) preferably in a glass cabinet with “clickey” doors

4 Likes

You should have contacted me 2.5 years ago.
Had exactly all that in late 80’s era Technics brand & clickey glass cabinet doors.
Went on FB Market place…

1 Like

Users can now edit messages after they are sent, share hotspots, switch between devices on calls, remix emojis and more.

This feature has been available for Apple iPhone users since the release of iOS 16 in 2022.

Android users will soon be able to connect their Android tablet or Chromebook to their phone’s hotspot without typing in a password.

Users can also change devices in the middle of a Google Meet call by tapping the Cast icon.

Another new feature announced is the ability to combine emojis in what Google has dubbed its “Emoji Kitchen”.

Users can also now control their most-used smart devices from their home screens, by adding the Google Home Favourites widget to their home screen.

2 Likes

That was my dream hi fi set up when i was a kid.

Looks like that unit also had DAT (Digital Audio Tape), which was probably even less successful than AM stereo!

1 Like

Apple are finally moving into the AI space, with ChatGPT being built into Siri in the next OS update

Be interesting to see how this goes.

2 Likes

“I wanted to show that nature can still beat the machine and that there is still merit in real work from real creatives,” Astray tells PetaPixel over email.

4 Likes

Telstra has revealed it will be giving 12,000 mobile phones away for free in a bid to help vulnerable customers switch from 3G to 4G, as the network shutdown looms.

Starting from Tuesday, the telecommunication company will be issuing complimentary phones to customers who are either elderly, live rurally or are in difficult situations.

Difficult situations include those facing financial issues or recovering from a natural disaster, along with some customers relying on a working phone due to having a life-threatening medical condition.

2 Likes

The battle between Apple and Microsoft as the world’s most valuable company has (briefly) ended with Nvidia taking top spot.

1 Like

What’s funny is that no matter what Apple does everyone is gonna think they are the ones they invented AI. :joy:

God even their presentation at WWDC was embarrassing.

2 Likes

Especially when the iPhones external AI usage is using OpenAI.

It’s been noted that Apple kept referring in their keynote their AI as Apple Intelligence and never actually said ‘AI’

Nvidia won’t be there long, they’ve benefitted from being early to market so have high market share in the AI space, others (the likes of AMD, Qualcomm, and ARM) will inevitably follow and their market share will drop. A dud product release will also hurt too.

It’s not just increased competition that will see that drop either - they’re now incredibly exposed to headwinds related to the AI industry at large, like some shit press or changes in regulation of the industry.

Sorry to say but people have had more then enough time to upgrade, you can’t tell me a 3G only device would still be fully functional after all these years

The more pressing issue is Telstra keep saying that the 4G network will cover the same ground as 3G before the switch off, they need to get their arses moving as there is a lot of road I drive on in western SEQLD that only has 3G

5 Likes

And Apple is using it for free , you have to wonder what the benefit trade for both companies are apart from the extra audience. I do knlw my iphone wont be hsing Apple “intelligence”. Mines a 14 pro max , not that i really use ai for anything serious .

Elon Musk at his panel ‘Exploring the New Frontiers of Innovation’ forecasts a “10%-20% chance” of an AI-related global disaster :earth_asia:

Telstra’s 3G network closes on 31 August and Optus’ from September 2024. All customers, including those on TPG Telecom’s network, are encouraged to use the ‘check-my-device’ tool at http://3gclosure.com.au to see if you will be impacted.

1 Like

Shout out to the local PC store that helped recover a computer a couple of weeks ago. It was totally dead in the morning having suffered a power supply failure that had also caused a fault in the mother board.

It was surprising how “easy” it was to refurbish the system reusing the case and drives and bringing the operating system across. When the new system was turned on, it required just a few activations to get things running again. Such an improvement on years gone when you would have needed hours to get things operating.

Such a good experience I decided to get the main computer upgraded with new board, CPU, video card but brought across the system set up.

7 Likes

Windows is extremely versatile nowadays. As you saw, you can literally move a hard drive to a completely different build and it will boot with most drivers correctly still.

4 Likes

My secondary desktop still has an old beige case I bought in 2004. It came with me when I moved from Perth to the US.

It sits in a dark corner so it doesn’t need to be one of the fancy new ones that light up the whole room. The internals have changed since then but the case remains.

3 Likes