Taskmaster Australia

This was actually pretty good. So does this mean Tom Gleeson is with Ten now and no longer working for the ABC?

No. He can do both. Heā€™s not exclusively contracted to any network.

2 Likes

Sat down and watched this with my wife. its not often we sit down and watch the same shows together but we watched taskmaster and the Tom Gleeson live special after it. We enjoyed both, and can see it becoming something we watch together as a couple

2 Likes

It is against the premise, thereā€™s a lot of interesting storytelling that goes on in the edit room - just like when they went through to reveal that a heap of the cast had broken the rules for the caravan task, without realising.

The tasks also get pretty epic - thereā€™s no possible way to achieve them all within the filming window of a studio - otherwise you end up with Minute to Win It.

Having the same cast is also the nature of the season - you get to know their minds a bit better and see who is actually (and consistently) good at lateral thinking.

The first season of the original UK version was very similar to last nightā€™s episode, with enough time to develop I think itā€™s off to a very strong start.

The only thing is that they need to get a better audience track - I donā€™t understand why youā€™d have a live audience and not use the noise thatā€™s recorded on the night.
Tom Gleeson should also be band from using the autocue, heā€™s much better at ad-lib and off the cuff humour.

4 Likes

It also takes away a big element - outside team tasks, no one knows how the rest of the contestants have done and something that will become more apparent later in the series is that nothing is broadcast sequentially either

3 Likes

Plus, it also allows them to throw away tasks that turn out to be duds, or are better suited as tie breakersā€¦

The format of the show is actually a masterpiece in itself. Alex Horne (creator and the task-master assistant of the UK version & writer on the NZ and other versions) has made a very clever TV show.

2 Likes

Having watched the first episode, all I could think was that Tom Cashman isnt awkward enough to be the assistant.

I resisted the temptation to go and watch the UK version because I didnā€™t want it to spoil my opinion of our local show. So, I am not really aware of the ā€œepic tasksā€ that could be ahead this season. I take your point, but I still feel people watching clips is a bit of a drag. Maybe keep it to one taped task a night. I will see how that rest of the season goes, but I still think the ā€˜liveā€™ task was the most engaging task of the episode.

I fear that their humour will become too predictable.

Itā€™s first and foremost a comedy format, not a game show format, and much of the comedy comes in the edit. People squeezing oranges live on stage one at a time doesnā€™t make for great TV - but pre-film it, edit it and comment around it and it can be very interesting.

This was a solid start for episode 1. Sets up the premise nicely and Iā€™m sure at some point the season will have itā€™s potato golf moment which really raises it to the next level.

Sheā€™ll probably get a lot of flack now for saying she kills feral animals.

It feels like it has fake crowd laughter. Very awkward to watch. :eyes:

2 Likes

I canā€™t watch this show with that laugh track. Itā€™s so full on, and so obvious when compared with The Projectā€™s real audience sounds.

Canned laughter and applause.

Yeah. Itā€™s ruined by the fake audience.

3 Likes

Same here!

We did get a glimpse of the audience tonight.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know why firstly shows think they can still get away with it and secondly why shows are actually so bad at it, making it so very obvious. Itā€™s the same with reality TV adding post-dubbing from the host (or contestant) to footage - itā€™s always blatantly obvious itā€™s dubbed. Surely television has been doing these things long enough that they should be able to do it pretty seemlessly nowadays.

4 Likes

I very rarely watch FTA, let alone at Broadcast (if i do watch FTA its normally recorded and adverts are fast forwarded though, or its live sport) But Taskmaster is an exception. Both me and my wife watch together and enjoy it. we both watch (independently) the UK version and enjoy that too, but this is great.

I have grown to like Danielle - there was something about her that didnā€™t gel with me at the start but iā€™ve started to understand her humor and i like it

1 Like

If anyone missed last nights offerings, you can watch the repeat (ahem, ā€œencoreā€, as the networks like to call it these days) on 10Shake at 7.30pm, or once that finishes, you can watch it again on 10 at 8.30pm.

I donā€™t mind if networks repeat a show a few days later, but airing it twice a day later is too much.

Was it sponsored by Oranges this week. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

The sinking the bowling ball task finally aired tonight. It is funnier than what the promos showed.

2 Likes