Taskmaster Australia

Canned laughter and applause. Oh, dear!

2 Likes

“Making people belly laugh” :roll_eyes:

Yes it’s weird. I thought they used an in studio audience?

They probably did but it wasn’t funny enough or impressive enough to get a big reaction out of the audience.

I know they put out a call for the studio audience but is there actually a studio audience? I don’t think they’re in a single shot of the first episode? Wouldn’t be surprised if there weren’t enough people that signed up, or they pulled the plug on it for COVID reasons?

But I actually really enjoyed the first episode and thought it was pretty funny! It stays pretty true to the UK version. Pretty excited for the rest of the season. Danielle Walker and Nina Oyama are pretty great imo

The first episode was quite good, plenty of funny bits. Danielle Walker is a standout.

I notice comedians often exploited the loopholes in each task in order to gain points with mixed results.

The clip at the start and end of each segment (with Tom Cashman in and around a used Mitsubishi) is a blatant advertisement of the show’s main sponsor. Probably not needed.

1 Like

Yeah, I went to the finale. Would have been over 100 people in the audience.

3 Likes

Well that’s good to know! Maybe they’ve only got a studio audience for certain episodes (the last half or third?) because it certainly didn’t seem like there was one in the premiere.

I’m fairly certain they had an audience for every episode. There were 10 recording sessions to pick from at the time.

1 Like

Do you recall how long your recording session was? The TV Tonight article lists two recording sessions around 3 hours in length. Audience tix: Taskmaster | TV Tonight

It was around 3 hours. The article says recording sessions between 5th and 10th December, 2 sessions a day.

1 Like

You’re absolutely right! Strange they wouldn’t have the audience on camera at all during the episode though. Just makes the laughter seem fake. The wide shots from the first episode makes it look like it was filmed on an empty soundstage.

Yeah, I’m not sure why. It was even mentioned that we would not be on screen. We were also instructed to wear dark clothing.

2 Likes

So strange. I don’t know about the other versions, but the UK features the audience pretty prominently. Weird decision making for the Aussie version, I wonder why they did that?

turned off after 5 minutes, possibly worst show I’ve ever seen. Never again. Shame, because I liked Tom.

1 Like

You do realise that’s the whole point of using comedians in the show, don’t you? So they can be quick on their feet, creative and hopefully come up with some laughs.

Did you forget to engage your sense of humour? It was just a skit for a laugh. I didn’t even make any connection between the brand of car and the sponsor. I guess I don’t pay so much attention to adverts or sponsors, so I’m probably not the perfect target for a show like this.

I actually thought Tom Cashman’s contributions were the best part of the show.

4 Likes

I really enjoyed tonight’s first episode. It seemed to get better as the show went on with a few LOL moments.

1 Like

That is not the Case… It is the Parts of the Show(Part 1,2,3,4 etc) at the start and the end. They do it in the UK and NZ versions too. Not product placement at all

2 Likes

I didn’t even realise this started tonight. Will have to catch up tomorrow.

The ‘live’ task at the end was the most engaging I think. Perhaps it’s against the premise of the show, but I would prefer it if all the tasks were performed in front of the audience. Not sure if I am keen on seeing the same comedians every week either.

I liked that!