Talkin' 'Bout Your Generation

and MKR and Masterchef doesnt?

Is there a starting date yet?

They were designed for 90minutes,
Big brother was never 90minute daily shows until Nine got it. TBYG wasn’t either. It’s lazy programming to just blow out a show to 90minutes and also expect audiences to stick around for that long. It doesn’t always work with every format. MKR and Masterchef it does work well, same with MAFS and The Block.

3 Likes

When Good News Week went to Ten was it an hour or 90 minutes? I can’t remember, I do remember that my family turned off it because it went form a short, sharp, half hour comedy on the ABC to long and dragged out and with so much extra that it just lost the shine on Ten.

I think you misunderstood me. The show could air anytime between 7.30-9pm. I don’t know how long it goes for. If Married At First Sight airs Sunday-Wednesday from 7.30-9 where would Nine air Generation? After it at 9? Or are you suggesting they delay their biggest hit so Generation can air?

MBB is referring to the fact that TV Cynic stated that the TBYG episodes are 56 minutes with no ads, so they will run for at least an hour and 15 minutes.

Cool I didn’t see that. I don’t see what the issue is with having it start at 7:30 and finish at 8:45. An extra 15 minutes isn’t that big of a deal.

I can’t speak for Masterchef (paging board doyen @Sully to thread) but MKR pads its run time out with recaps and previews of what’s ahead. On your standard episode, you can tune in at 8pm and be just in time to see the first course being served. I’m sure Sully would agree, based on that one episode of MKR we all know he watched that time.

Provided Nine are filling the extra TBYG run time with additional games/rounds it should work just fine. If they pad it out, that’s another story.

3 Likes

When these shows screen overseas, they get a 60 minute version. So we get a lot of padded out rubbish in every episode.

They are simply padding it out. The format of the show is exactly the same as it was on Ten. The editing should be tighter but also the production itself should be more focused so the show can run as a tight 60 minutes.

Segment 1
Intro, Game 1

Segment 2
Game 2, Game 3

Segment 3
Generations pick from the board (2 teams)

Segment 4
Generations pick from the board (1 team)

Segment 5
Quiz each generation on a chosen topic

Segment 6
End Game

2 Likes

The point of the show is that it’s about dated things. The comedy can’t really age, as they’re not going to really be referring to the present.

1 Like

Networks need to pad the 7.30 shows so they run longer because the switch off is so severe after they air. Programs following the 7.30 broadcasts are shedding half the audience or more as people are either going to bed earlier or watching other content on other devices. While we may dislike it, the padding is a genuine attempt to keep as many eyeballs as possible on free to air television. And it works.

1 Like

The problem is complex. People switch off because they’ve already been watching a padded out reality show for 2 hours, and the content post-9pm is generally terrible. Reducing 7.30pm content to a neat little hour might give audiences a better chance of sticking with TV for an hour at 8.30pm. At 9pm, after two hours of TV, most people would be thinking about getting stuff ready for tomorrow morning or going to bed.

Plus most people transition to streaming services more and more throughout the evening.

1 Like

In Nine’s defence, and not that I agree with it, but they need to get their money worth commissioning shows. I guess they think if we can get a 56 minute episode rather than 42 minutes it becomes a lot more cost efficient.

1 Like

Up against HYBPA?, will be interesting to see how it goes in that timeslot.

Two comedy themed shows going head to head? Not ideal.

5 Likes

Would it not air at 7:30pm?

Did he say Gen Zee?

Gosh that ad makes it look absolutely terrible. I have a bad feeling about this.

2 Likes