Supermarkets and Retail

And you say you live in Sydney?

1 Like

They’re fast. Just not running on time and the platforms are overcrowded. Just like the queues at the supermarkets now. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I regularly use my local VideoEzy machine.

In the words of the great Homer…

“Mmm… Movies” :yum:

Copyright LukeMovieMan 2017.

3 Likes

This is all too much.

12 Likes

Not sure that copyright you’ve slapped on a hybrid Simpsons joke will stand up in court, kiddo.

13 Likes

Who you calling kiddo, bucko :expressionless:

1 Like

I suggest you contact this man

9 Likes

Gap’s six Australian stores will close within the next six months after local franchisee Oroton pulled the pin.
http://www.theage.com.au/business/retail/gap-stores-to-close-in-australia-after-oroton-group-pulls-pin-20170803-gxp3rt.html

Amazon yesterday announced it would open its first Australian warehouse at Dandenong South in Melbourne’s south east, and has appointed director of consumables at Amazon Germany, Rocco Braeuniger, as country manager for Australia.

Gap always came across as a brand that lost recognition once the 90s were over.
They’re still popular in the US but certainly not the force they once were.

Same problem that other international retailers have/had. They seem to offload all the rubbish stuff they couldn’t sell overseas and we miss out on some of the good stuff that did well and they kept to restock those overseas stores.

AND they still mark it up +50-100% on top of the exchange rate of the day.
It was a business model that worked before online shopping was so widespread in Australia but it’s clearly not viable for these operators anymore with increased online competition.

In response to @AlanCramer’s post on the Fast Food & Takeaways Thread: :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Was out shopping at Westfield Tea Tree Plaza today and noticed the Big W there is still using the old signage inside the centre…at least they won’t have to change it anymore (maybe remove the We Sell for Less part). Although I find it odd they upgraded the outside signage but not the inside.

1 Like

The stores certainly look bare now that they’ve pulled down all the colourful old wall signage with the W from the recently superseded logo.

4 Likes

It’s certainly a step backwards. We only recently had the outdoor signage at my local store updated to a dark blue background with white print using the old logo. The previous light blue on white background had faded and discoloured but had been there for years. I can’t see them changing it again so soon.

This poor consistency with branding is nothing new for woolies.
They fucked about with Dick Smith’s logo several times through the 90s and 00s (there was no less than 3 variations of the final logo they used - with different slogans and taglines, inside a speech bubble, etc - not to mention they also were set on changing the name from “Dick Smith Electronics” to “Dick Smith Technology” before changing it at the very last minute to “Dick Smith”) before they sold it off, yet there were stores out there at the time of the demise of the business that STILL had the 80s logo on them. Not to mention only about a third of Tandy stores were converted from the old 80s/90s logo to the one used in the 2000s before the remaining stores were re-branded to Dick Smith in 2010. Some even had 70s era logo’s on some signage!

There was also private label products that still had 90s era logos on them to the very end as well.

5 Likes

Kogan was still trying to flog off the pre-2005 DSE branded powerboards as late as last month. They must have had thousands of these things festering in the warehouse!

2 Likes

I was surprised how quickly my local BIG W at Kingsway in Perth updated all the in-store signage and already has removed the wall category signage. Looks very bare now with just blank white walls.

There’s a Bin near the Loading Dock on the opposite side of the building that still has the 1990s “We Sell For Less” logo, but for the past few months, a sticker of the now previous BIG W logo was plastered on top of it, but sometimes when I had come back, somebody had taken the sticker off!

It was sort of a case like this, it kept alternating between the 1990s and the 2000s logo:

DAD8093D-A5D6-4461-894A-002D4978BF38-8504-00000C9E31F91BDE

Now since the change to the new logo, the 1990s logo is left visible now. I think it’s safe to say, I don’t think they’ll be a sticker on top of it now for a while, since the then previous logo is now also old! :stuck_out_tongue:

I think that’s also the case in the Kingsway store, and I think it was also at Mirrabooka, but the centre’s signage has changed since ALDI opened there.

2 Likes

literally hundreds of thousands of them, and this was in 2012 when I left the business!
Cost price of these things were literally $10-15 depending on if it had 6 or 8 outlets

Good news everyone!

I drove past Woolworths in Mt Eliza, VIC and they’re renovating the exterior.

The “Safeway” signage is finally gone :tada:images-44

4 Likes