Supermarkets and Retail

Idea for Wesfarmers to Sell the Smaller Sized Target Stores top either Metcash or The Reject Shop and Turn them into Rural-Based Apparel and Homewares Stores that Also Sells DVD’s and CD’s and every store is Independently Owned.

The Reject Shop are not going that well at moment so I doubt they could afford to buy another chain of stores. Steinhoff (Best & Less, Harris Scarf, Freedom, Fantastic, Snooze) has deep enough pockets and was rumoured to be interested in Big W, so they could be interested in Target if it’s put up for sale.

Notices in today’s Courier Mail for some Qld properties.

I noticed the Thomas Dux near me on High Streret in Armadale has been rebranded as Woolworths Metro. Are they doing this to all stores?

I Had a look at the new Big W ad, the branding in the video seems to have the new logo but with the old light blue colour as the background. Here, it looks pretty good, but then the dark blue one appeared at the end… eww

Yes they are, announced about 18 months ago.

2 Likes

Myer is launching a new Australia Lives Here campaign, celebrating 100 items sold by the retailer between 1900 and 2000 that helped shape the Australian culture. There are full page ads in today’s News Corp papers asking the public to help locate 30 missing items with a chance to win a modern version of their retail relic. The items will then be displayed at the head store at Melbourne’s Bourke Street Mall from August 8 to September 15.

1 Like

From October, Bulla Dairy Foods will stop supplying to IGA supermarkets through Metcash. This means IGA’s will need order direct from Bulla or a third party, and Bulla foods, including Bulla and Cadbury ice-creams won’t be apart of weekly specials.

Any reason for this? A falling out?

http://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/australian-economy/bunnings-at-the-centre-of-a-huge-tradie-tax-scam/news-story/1b0b8385af89fc683d0d4042132efe88

The Australian reports the hardware giant is the victim of an enormous scam, in which tradies list its Australian Business Number instead of their own on invoices.

According to the Black Economy Taskforce, the retailer has one of the most quoted ABNs in the country — and it’s blocking the tax office from keeping track of tradies’ income.

“We found out that more than 40 per cent of ABNs quoted in the Northern Territory were Bunnings,” said Michael Andrew, chairman of the Black Economy Taskforce.

“People ask for an invoice or valid receipt and they get the name of the company, but they then get an ABN of someone else such as Bunnings: the result of which (is) you can’t trace then where the money really went.”

Shit like this is exactly what the Taskforce should be working on, not fussing about threatening to force $50 and $100 notes out of circulation.

4 Likes

I’m lost with the BIGW Commercial. I’ve heard the same for the last couple of rebrands over the years it’s all the same…big brands…low prices…what on earth is so different this time?

Hate to be critical but I’ve got no confidence that the model can survive. How long will Brad let this business chew 20% of his supermarkets profits each year?

Serious questions to be asked at the upcoming annual results.

2 Likes

I wish Coles would understand that some people (20% of the over 30 population) need glasses to read. But most of these people do not take their glasses out with them as they are a hassle to carry (unless you are female and have a handbag).

I was just at Coles in Randwick. 15 self serve checkouts open and that’s it. Next time it’s Woolworths in Randwick for me.

Long sightedness is a disability and Coles does not care and it really, really cheeses me off.

1 Like

David Jones will open a new food hall at its Bondi Junction store in Sydney this morning, as part of the launch of upmarket David Jones Food brand.

1 Like

I’m not sure what your point is. Is the print on the machines too small?

Yes - people who are longsighted cannot read the new screens.

That’s my rant for the day.

At my local Woolies the staff have been encouraging customers at the self-checkout to go to a human check-out instead. A few weeks ago I was about to start scanning when the attendant told me there was a human available with nothing to do, and would I like to go there instead. I’m guessing that they are concerned about their jobs.

Is it the size of the print? Or the black print on white background that is the problem?

I know that since City Rail rebranded as Sydney Trains, they changed their indicator boards from the easy to read white print on dark blue background to now having black print on white background and it’s bad. Impossible to read from a distance now and you have to get really close to it to see anything. So many people are always asking you what station it’s stopping at because they can’t read it.

I hope you’re telling them it’s a station that is actually about ten stops further down the line.

For the lols

1 Like

Yeah, I tell them to catch the fast train to Wollongong which takes them an hour to get back to Sydney. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: