Supermarkets and Retail

Thanks for that forgot to read the Coles catalogue this week, we will stock up on Chob.

1 Like

Not sure how Big W stays open in Yeppoon . I went there yesterday to collect my order . Was around 4pm and there must have been about 3 people in the store.

1 Like

Well if everyone is shopping online and just picking up orders like you, what do you expect?

4 Likes
1 Like

Good to see at least some shopping centres are being expanded or updated.

I fear online shopping is going to mean some centres will stay untouched for longer and eventually fall into ruin.

2 Likes

Yeah but not many people are ever seen collecting orders either. I live out of town so it’s about 30mins in total of travelling as to why i do it online to save time . Maybe it was the time I was there and people coming home from work /picking kids up from school. . Must be doing ok has been there since 2008 .

Target Country only lasted about 3 years … was a tiny store less than 900m2 … our Big W is huge .

Same thing I noticed when I go to Bunnings in the afternoons on a weekday hardly anyone there but they just opened a full size one a couple of years ago in our town . I think it’s busier on the weekends in the mornings .

1 Like

The Brisbane Lord Mayor yesterday said he would like to see the introduction of 24-hour trading in Brisbane especially ahead of the Olympics. No details however, whether he meant just for Olympics, just groceries (which is what he mentioned) or all retail. All said he would like to see Daylight Savings introduced.

1 Like

At my store, it’s similar scenes… but then in the area(s) I work I can’t get a huge gauge (apparently still constant foot traffic at the front, and at registers/self serve etc).

Other stores that are usually busy at particular times (JB Hifi is one example) where there are more staff members than customers. Reminds me a lot of lock down times, but this time it’s the financial situation of the general public causing them not to shop. But yet weve had loss prevention officers in since the start of the year and they catch a lot of people every day.

2 Likes

For some reason it says staff discount on mine ? I don’t work there but I assume it is because Everyday Reward Extra 10 percent off at Big W is the same as the staff discount? On top of the fact everything was on sale that Every Day Reward Extra is worth the $59 a year $4.92 a month.

https://www.commercialrealestate.com.au/news/coles-pays-100m-for-melbourne-site-in-turf-war-with-woolworths-1199860/

2 Likes

Woolworths Balaclava is a like a large metro version, they don’t market it as either full line or metro, it’s tiny though. Don’t have an issue with expansion from either supermarkets, as long as they do something about the car park issue. Going underground is much more problematic in metro Melbourne vs say Lara where they built underground.

How exciting is it at Myer to see the chain’s sales and shares soar for first time in almost 2 decades! Hopefully this can keep on going!

2 Likes

They’re doing fine. Slow but steady profits in store and really fast online sales will definitely keep them running for a good while.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call it steady just yet. Would need to see at least 2-3 years with similar numbers. They are a business that has form in very up and down financials.

Certainly is a business most at risk with any economic slowdown. You will get a better picture on where this business is going this time next year after we cycle all the economic movements in the next half. If can they record profit and sales growth for this approaching financial year then the business is somewhat stable.

In my online order

Coles didn’t have Keitt Mangos replaced with Brooks. Woolies online nothing shows but they apparently have them but don’t sell them online in Yeppoon for some reason at the moment (low stock?)

Didn’t have any capsicums at all so no substitute had to go and get them at a small IGA in the main street . I’m not sure if capsicums are in short supply?

I saw at least 10 bags of McCains frozen chips at IGA .

Potato products are still hit and miss in Melbourne, if you’re lucky one or two lines will have been restocked before being depleted fairly quickly.

1 Like

I was speaking to a Potato Farmer in regional Vic recently, he doesn’t expect flow to normalise until July/August. He said to check packaging at the moment in stores for the likes of frozen chips, you will find many are imported potatoes.

1 Like

Well this is confusing Mccains Frozen Superfries Straight Cut unless it is a mistake .

So it’s 99 percent Australian but Made in NZ then packed in Australia?

Unless they are Aussie potatoes sent to NZ to be processed then sent back to Australia to be packaged?

3 Likes

I just checked my bag of the steak cut and it says made in Australia from at least 99% Australian ingredients.

A weird mistake there

1 Like

Wouldnt be that surprising if this is what they’re doing

2 Likes