Daylight Saving

1 Like

This is one argument I really don’t understand. So many parts of the world send kids to school in the dark. Their parents go to work in the dark. People work nights and drive in the dark. They’re all fine.

I am genuinely curious, why would this be a problem in Tasmania? I doubt there would be absolutely “no benefit” with a later winter sunset. If anything I imagine that would actually help things.

1 Like

I’ve seen the chaos of school drop offs when there is light. Add darkness to it and kids darting around everywhere and it’s just an extra hassle and I think unnecessary risk.

As for the later winter sunset - a 4:30 sunset or a 5:30 sunset when you don’t get home until then doesn’t give any benefit for doing anything with that time. If you’re lucky you might get 20 minutes of the fading light but twilight periods are much, much shorter than in summer and it’s generally just cold and miserable and nobody wants to go out anyway. Just the way the seasons work in the lower parts of the hemisphere.

Daylight Saving ended in the US over the weekend. This is the first time I’ve been here at this time of year, darkness in mid-afternoon certainly is different…

5 Likes

As a Victorian that lives somewhere that has amenities open after 5pm, this is a nonsense.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/sunriseon7/status/1631413622298783745?s=20

2 Likes

Hopefully not in my opinion. In fact living in Victoria I would love to see UTC+10 permanently. Sometimes it is 9:00pm and still light in the peak of Summer (we are on the western side of the eastern states so the sun sets later) so I would like to see it dark earlier.

2 Likes

9pm much more useful light than 3am. Closer to 10pm and it’s still light enough to see here.

I think it could be good for the Olympics if they can have it, even if it’s just a temporary thing. Melbourne changed the dates of theirs for the Commonwealth Games which ended up being adopted permanently and got all the DLS observing states to line up their dates.

5 Likes

Problem is the Olympic Games are in JULY when there is no daylight savings anyway; so the connection to the Games is pretty tenuous.

7 Likes

Ahhh, hadn’t actually read it (yeah, yeah, I know. I was one of them) so that doesn’t really make much sense at all then.

It’s now that time of year when I want DST to end. The mornings are fairly dark until about 0700 here now, especially if cloudy. I am near the centre of the UTC+10 (+1) timezone which is centred on 150 degrees East. I pity those at the western extremity of the time zone who see sunrises even later (Portland VIC comes to mind). Queenstown NZ is also near the western edge of its timezone and sees lots of late sunrises.

It’s ridiculous when sunrises are as late or even later than in midwinter, as is the case by the end of March here.

1 Like

Agree that DST goes for a bit too long. It should really finish this weekend.

What do you need sun before 6am for? Go back to bed.

4 Likes

I am happy to be on UTC+8 all year round in Western Australia

In the US they want it all year round which means dark winter mornings and an extra hour of exercise at night.

2 Likes

Bzzzt! Wrong answer. It goes for seven or eight months in most countries in the Northern Hemisphere.

I think it ends at the right time. It needs to start earlier though. Maybe two weeks earlier.

1 Like

It’s just an opinion.

And stop being a smart arse and thinking your opinion is the only one that matters.

11 Likes

Just having some fun. Isn’t that allowed any more? :slightly_frowning_face:

Many of us in the boondocks are early risers! You should see the conga line of cars out of Bungendore towards Canberra as early as 0500. I can’t use my high beam much when travelling towards Braidwood before 0600- it’s just a sea of headlights from the oncoming traffic.

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think in the northern hemisphere the sunrises stay earlier much later into summer than they do here in the southern hemisphere, which lends itself to having more daylight to save longer into autumn up there.

Our earliest sunrises here in Australia are in late November into early December, with sunrise already starting to get later even before you reach the summer solstice. So by this time in March, even here in poor old Brisbane sunrise is almost an hour later than it was three months ago. Hence why people complain that DST drags on for too long in places that have it until April.

Of course, I’d kill for any form of DST here in Brisbane that stopped me being woken by the birds (and the screaming toddler) at 4am in early summer. If the price I pay is a few dark mornings in late March, that’s still worth it.

1 Like