Supermarkets and Retail

When I was last in South Africa the 1.25 Litre bottles that we have here are 1 Litre over there, and the 375mL cans were 330mL.

1 Like

Drakes still has the old branding in some stores but are not actively selling Lenard’s products.

2 Likes

There is some serious price gouging going on in supermarkets right now.

There was an announcement recently that there was a potato shortage in Australia so potato chips/crisps prices would be expected to rise. So, in the last week both Coles and Woolworths have raised prices.

Smiths Crisps 60g are now $2.70 up from $2.20/$2 just a couple of weeks ago.

How do they explain Twisties, Burger Rings, Cheetos and Doritos also going up to $2.70 despite them not containing potatoes? :angry:

Smiths Crisps 175g, Thins 175g are now at the regular price of $4.80.
Sp why are CCs 175g and Doritos 170g now also suddenly $4.80?

Kettle Chips 165g are now $6
Red Rock Deli are now $6.30

The Twisties Part Pack 270g had been good value for money at $3.20. It went up to $3.50 a few weeks ago which was bad enough. This week it has skyrocketed to $5.30 at Woolies and $5.50 at Coles. Seriously? WTF?

The Smiths Crisps Party Pack 380g is now a whopping $8.50.
The smaller Red Rock Deli Party Pack 290g is also $8.50. :crazy_face:

1 Like

hope you balance that diet out…

5 Likes

Lol. I actually don’t buy chips often. If I do, it’ll be a big pack which I reseal and it can last three weeks.

I mostly noticed the Twisties because I bought a pack in January for a barbecue and worked out how it was good value to buy the Party Pack 270g at $3.20 compared to a small pack 90g that was $2.20. A price rise to $5.50 is a shocker!

I took some photos today to compare the prices to those I had seen a while ago. It’s scary.

Twisties have always been a good buy…the 90gms bag (which I reckon used to be a little bigger) was a good buy @ $1.00 on special @ Woolies

They did suffer shrinkflation, Went from 100g to 90g.

1 Like

Ready to be marked down a small fraction in a month or two and promoted as price locked :joy:

Yeah. Might be the Pepsi Max shonk all over again.

1 Like
3 Likes

Australian Buy Now Pay Later (BNPL) service LatitudePay is closing, Latitude Financial Services has announced.

1 Like

Australian Buy Now Pay Later (BNPL) service LatitudePay is closing, Latitude Financial Services has announced.

the bubble is bursting. we will end up with 1 or 2 big players anyone who went in thinking it was easy money will be gone. I expect Klarna and Afterpay to be the last ones standing

3 Likes
2 Likes

Chobani changed their labels around on their pot of yoghurts and now the new size has dropped to 160 g from 170g.

Also a new variety “no added sugar” is 150g

The new Mango 700g one on special at Coles for $4.50 is cheaper than the 1/2 price ones for $1.25 this week.

Also i think some frozen veges have gone up $6 for a kg of frozen corn Birds Eye kernels and frozen broccoli is now more expensive than fresh 500g is $3.80 which is $7.60 kg !

Speaking of which, here we go again in today’s Woolies catalogue:

Pepsi Max 30 had skyrocketed again, up to $33.50 but now it is promoted at $24 as part of the “Prices Dropped” campaign.

2 Likes

Woolworths - Winner Trusted Brand Awards for 2022

1 Like

I trust them about as far as I can throw their shonky Prices Dropped campaigns. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Bunnings did very well to avoid negative PR over the facial recognition tech they were caught using last year.
The Bunnings PR / Marketing team are very good at what they do though - the constant memes and viral/guerilla marketing for Bunnings sausage sizzles is so blatantly inorganic but the masses lap it up.

I do recall a year back it was only $1.70 a tub. Now $2.50 and it’s got smaller.

I generally have one a day, so when they are on half price buy about 30-50 pending date expiry.

I guess the supermarkets said they don’t want any more price jumps (I think $2.50 really is the price ceiling considering the item), so reduce it and maintain the price.

Yes they did a price drop one or two times it originally was $2.50.

Like I said the 1/2 price is oddly not cheaper this week :slight_smile: not sure if this is common with other products where the bigger version on special is cheaper .

Also Flypay is now working on the new Coles site however a banner message still is showing saying it is not yet available and when you go to it and click on the link the page redirects to the new site (used to redirect to shop.coles … ) the original site .

Yet it is a payment option now when i go to checkout …

Note that banner is not part of the image showing the payment options… the forum has somehow stuck that on top .