Supermarkets and Retail

@OnAir Ice bergs! Used to also like them.

Ah yes, of course. What was the guy who was Target MD before Russo expanded his role, but after the person that took Target to the heights of 2000s?

He was the one that implemented it and even had the publicity shoot at Frankston.

Target had Red Apple restaurants attached back in the 1970s/80s.

1 Like

I think the Cafe in Kmart was more of a restaurant, called Holly’s I think?

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/oldshopsoz/status/971945431407017984

In the cafe having a smoke. Different times…!

9 Likes

Looks as if it was taken yesterday. Nice that things like this are archived for the future generations to see :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Do you live in the 80s? :wink:

6 Likes

The only thing I liked about Holly’s were their Tropical Chicken Burgers & Milkshakes, the rest of the food were average. They used to use McCain Frozen Crinkle cut Chips.

3 Likes

I’m intrigued :thinking: Like a Red Rooster Tropicana box? (The best! The fritter :yum:)

1 Like

I was never a fan of Holly’s. Always thought they were a rather down market version of the David Jones cafeteria my mother took me to when I was a kid.

Some Woolworths supermarkets had a cafeteria at the back of them in the 1970s. Food courts in shopping centres weren’t a thing until the 1980s. You were limited to a cafe or a milk bar/fish and chip shop within a shopping centre if you wanted to eat on a shopping trip.

3 Likes

The chips always looked good in the heater when I was a kid.

1 Like

The crinkle cut chips, gravy, choc milk u poured urself out of the big swirling tank and a bread roll with butter wrapped in plastic.

Much simpler times back then.

1 Like

17 posts were merged into an existing topic: Fast Food and Takeaways

The second stage of the redevelopment of The Glen shopping centre opens at 9am today. There are more than 80 new stores, including H&M, Uniqlo, Miniso and Robinson’s Bookshop.
Now the new stage is open for business, The Glen needs a new entrance (or two) for shoppers. At the moment, it is the only shopping centre in Melbourne accessible via basement carpark. The three entrances (near Coles, Terry White pharmacy and JB Hi-Fi) all lead to carparks, which is both inconvenient and dangerous. There should be at least one entrance for pedestrians at street level and it must be built before stage 3 (new David Jones store and new apartments) are completed in 2020.

1 Like

That’s very odd for a shopping centre to NOT have pedestrian access at street level to the shopping centre itself.

I know. All the other shopping centres in suburban Melbourne, including Chadstone, Highpoint and Westfield-branded malls, have entrances at street level. It’s poor planning by The Glen’s owner Vicinity Centres (which also owns Chadstone).

1 Like

Make mention of wendys and the one now near me has closed down

Woolworths has sold its 540 service stations to the British company EG Group for $1.72 billion. Under the deal, the 4c per litre fuel discount shopper docket will be maintained for 15 years. Caltex will retain its long-term petrol supply deal for the service stations.

Also got an email from Woollies today p, apparently all Caltex outlets accept the card Now.

I’m fairly sure that it’s an American phenomenon for shopping centres to not have easy street level pedestrian access. Most of their shopping malls are designed to be well outside of urban centres (unlike most shopping centres in Aus which are usually built next to an established shopping strip) and are usually surrounded by many many miles of asphalt for the car park. The only way to get to these places is by car, or if you’re lucky, by bus.

The closest thing I can think of in Sydney is Moore Park Supa Centa where there’s basically no street level access (you’d have to walk through the car park to enter).

4 Likes

That is true.

And a lot of American shopping centres are surrounded by open air car parks all the way around it.

They don’t seem to have much in the way of multi level or underground car parking either.

1 Like