Supermarkets and Retail

I didn’t even know ben and jerrys had any store at all just thought they sold ice cream in supermarkets

1 Like

I know they have a stand in some Hoyts Cinemas.

2 Likes

Wendy’s was another franchise basket case that went belly up. They had over 300 franchises at one stage. Most of them shut up shop but the more profitable ones managed to keep going.

2 Likes

There’s two still in albury but they look stale as they havnt been upgraded in a while though must be hard being I shopping centers even donut king is the same and havnt upgraded even after the logo chance for donut king

1 Like

Oops. :confused:

Still a classic Wendy’s in Belmont in Geelong.

Wendy’s got purchased in 2014 by a Singaporean group and it was downhill from there.

NZ-based article but outlines some of the issues.

1 Like

Always found it odd that they used the Wendys name in New Zealand when you guys have the unrelated US Wendys chain there.

1 Like

Yeah, I think SupaSundae was there first and certainly had more of a nationwide presence as the burger chain was only in Auckland until the last 5-10 years or so.

No turning back for Max Brenner now.

K-marts with cafes wow that takes me back to when I was in primary school. I remember in school holidays if Mum wanted to go shopping at K-mart, she would convince us to go because we got to go to the café whilst we were there,

The one I remember was outside Coles in Centro but that too went. The one at Bayside in Frankston remains however.

They tried a cafe at Target in Frankston (one of the biggest selling in Australia) but it failed and was removed.

Taking about “Supa”, Wendy’s *SupaSoft" was so good, chocolate soft serve! I think it was called “Chocollo” (you could also get a shake and in tub form) and was actually 99% fat free.

1 Like

Yeah I remember that. I thought it was gross as a kid. Give me a sherbert covered soft serve any day.

Or a cup of Blue Lagoon.

1 Like

I remember the Big W cafe in the Chullora store in western Sydney in the mid 80s. For some reason I loved going to the Big W cafe with my mum in the school holidays. I am not even sure why we went there as we lived in the Shire.

The food was so average but there was a certain excitement about the cafe.

The Chullora site had only two stores - a Woolworths Supermarket and the Big W. Now it has the entire Marketplace shopping centre.

There’s a Wendy’s at Central Mt Gambier which has been there for over 20 years, it’s still very popular. I normally go there every Monday for a Stawberry Thickshake & Hot Dog, it’s nice but it’s not really worth $9.90, but seeing the attractive chicks who work there makes it worth while. :grinning:

2 Likes

These didn’t necessarily fail, but were part of a new store concept that was abruptly canceled once Guy Russo took over the management of Target (along with a few other features that were unique to these concept stores, such as in store t-shirt Screen Printing and an expanded range of confectionery / food).

1 Like

I don’t know what those are but they sound vile :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

In my case, the iceberg was usually blue.

3 Likes

Wendy’s even have a food truck, it was at Geelong White Night recently. It was very busy too.

They put a cafe into the recently renovated Chaddy store. Went within half a year.

1 Like