Fast Food/Takeaways and Restaurants

What makes no sense to me is that McDonald’s, KFC, Hungry Jack’s, Red Rooster and all the other fast food chains source their chicken from the same suppliers yet KFC manages to completely turn theirs into a greasy disgusting mess. It smells nice, but that’s all.

2 Likes

That’s very true re McDonald’s.

It’s very safe in that respect ie. little chance of food poisoning.

1 Like

There are countless other fried chicken options out there (at least in the major cities, fried chicken of the Taiwanese (Hotstar) or Korean variety) that are vastly superior and generally don’t cost any more than KFC would in the first place.

KFC Original Recipe is always either a greasy mess or dried up and disgusting. Hot and Spicy is at least edible (still don’t understand why they won’t do it year round nation wide).

2 Likes

The Zambrero near me in Malvern shut down a couple of months ago which was a shame because I preferred it to most Mexican chains. To me it was a bit less Mexican and a bit more on the healthier side to the other chains which I liked, especially their black rice and wraps.

The only time I could ever bring myself to eat KFC is after a big night out and I still feel disgusting after it.

That Hot Star huge piece of chicken is sooo good! I know it can’t be good for you but I’ve tried it a couple of times. I also tried Gami for the first time the other day. A lot of people rave about it but I just found it gross. Fried chicken dipped in sauce pretty much just didn’t do it for me. We even ordered this potato bowl thing and the mash was full of cream, sweet chilli sauce, cheese etc. Gross.

1 Like

:face_vomiting:

…is what I miss at local pubs/bistros! Used to always come complementary with the meal paynent, now been rid :pensive:

Well, at least in my local areas. I’m sure many still operate like that though.

No nothing like & not as good as a Red Rooster Tropicana box, it was just a chicken fillet, lettuce, pineapple & mayo on a bun. It tasted ok, but it would have been better if they fried the pineapple piece & if they used a fresh chicken fillet rather than a frozen chicken fillet.

1 Like

You still find similar tropical chicken burgers occasionally at fish and chip shops / milk bars / charcoal chicken shops.

Sounds like The Works burger from KFC - later renamed Classic Works after they tried to axe it once but brought it back before killing it again.

Lot’s of places still do the complimentary roll and butter.

red rooster just opened up about 1.5 km away from me. the previous closest was 6km away. I’m pretty happy they have opened, it might push the KFC next door into actully giving good service and not leaving you waiting for ages in the drive through (a 5 minute wait is standard, a 15 minute wait was not uncommon)

1 Like

At my local McDonald’s it is usually quicker to go inside than use the drive-thru. I only use the drive-thru if there are no other cars.

1 Like

Speaking of Red Rooster, a number of its Victorian stores are trialling home delivery of alcohol.

2 Likes

Probably better to use the drive-thru at McDonalds if you want human contact these days. One outlet I went into recently had all of the counter tills closed and a staff member directing diners to use the self order kiosks. I’d only used them once before and didn’t have time to F around so I walked. I only wanted a coffee and a slice of banana bread.

2 Likes

It’s a good point you raise. I was at one near Geelong earlier in the year, but on the flip side to your experience, this was midday and rather busy, cashiers open. But, a dedicated 17 year old was standing around, instructed to pinch someone walking in and take them and show them how to use one of those God awful touch screens. Being the kind and patient person I am, I caved in and went with him, actually didn’t seem that bad, the biggest plus was table service (is this at all Maccas now)? :slightly_smiling_face:

I hate when you go to the drive through and then they make you go and park in one of those waiting bays. It kind of defeats the purpose of a drive-thru.

1 Like

Reminds me of about 10 years ago the Hungry Jacks drive thru at West Lakes SA was very full and there were no customers at all inside the store so I got served straight away

Yes, though I’ve only been to a couple of them lately, both stores did have table service and I don’t think it was part of a trial either. They usually like to be consistent, so I’d say all non food court outlets have it.

1 Like

This. They also have KPIs on how long a customer spends in drive thru, so in many cases you’ll be served faster

1 Like

The Maccas self serve screens are the best.

At HJ’s our service delivery goals used to be (and I’m going back a few years) 2.30 inside and 3.00 drive thru.