Supermarkets and Retail

Nor do they have supermarkets or fresh food/produce in shopping centres (IMO one of the key reasons why dead malls are such a phenomenon over there).

4 Likes

While many major shopping centres in Melbourne are surrounded by open air car parks, the likes of Chadstone and Highpoint have entrances at ground level. Not so at The Glen.

1 Like

There are a few open air Shopping Centers (not sure the proper term) in NSW’s Central West. Lithgow’s only shopping centre has no street access, although it is fairly small. Dubbo on the other hand had Orana Mall which is fairly large, but in recent years has had a multilevel carpark built around it.

1 Like

Oh wow, there’s a YouTuber called BrightSunFilms who explores and talks about abandoned places including malls.

I have not once even thought about how there are no supermarkets whilst watching his abandoned mall videos.

2 Likes

This. I was surprised to find that malls in North America don’t have supermarkets - the supermarkets tend to much prefer standalone outlets over there. They really need that regular weekly foot traffic to keep the businesses going.

There are a few centres like that here in Aus with no supermarkets (usually ‘supa centa’ or homemaker centre style deals - like those Masters stores which were converted into Home centres), and for much of the time they really do feel like ghost towns.

2 Likes

The Canberra Outlet Centre, which can be rather dead on some weekday mornings and afternoons though busy at lunch time, is getting a supermarket and adjoining liquor store. I think it is a strategic move to increase weekday traffic.

3 Likes

Good to see much of Karrinyup centre stores moved or boarded up as their redevelopment finally commences.

2 Likes

the jindalee DFO in brisbane has a major issue with turnover of shops and feeling dead. I can think of at least 4 diffrent food outlets in one shop, and they seem to constantly have the $5 book places (the sign of a dying mall to me)

1 Like

Gandall owns half of it, also half of Bayside in Frankston. Doesn’t he also have major stake in Vicinity?

I have been into a new mall inside the Westfield Carousel a few months ago and noticed that the shopping centre have got new shops - David Jones and a few other restaurants and food courts that have been opened - Canton Lane, Little Bangkok (have been there for lunch a few weeks ago), Zeus Street Greek (located in Level 2), TGI Fridays, Super Tetsudo. A new retail store H&M will open in November 22. Westpac Branch used to be located opposite of HBF, but in June '18, they have relocated next to Woolworths. A new Commonwealth Bank Branch was opened and was located near the Vodafone store. Coles have refurbished its supermarket with a new look and expanded butcher set. Carousel have completed its redevelopment in August 2018.

Grafton Street is a new retail that was opened in store K03 near David Jones. There have been a lot of changes where some retails have relocated to other places. (I have not been at Karrinyup Shopping Centre for a very long time. The last time I have been there was back in 2007.) it will see the shopping centre expand from 59715 to 113000 square metres. They will have a new mall and new retail outlets.

1 Like

Found this in the Eastwood Homemaker Centre (basically a HUGE $2 shop set up in a former Target). A knock off of a brand that was defunct around a decade ago.

I was here 4 years ago and these exact same fitness balls were there back then.

They also had expired Woolworths orange juice being flogged for half price ($1.50 for 3L - best before 11 Oct 18!), and also those Coles mobile phone accessories with the price tag covering the Coles logo…

6 Likes

Surely that breaches some form of food safety code? :confused:

3 Likes

If it were used by, yes, best before, no.

3 Likes

The first ever Coles Local store opened at Surrey Hills in Melbourne’s east this morning.

Coles has also taken out a four page advertisement in this week’s Whitehorse Leader to promote the new store.

3 Likes

Is this like a Woolies Metro or a different concept?

I wonder if any different to the small format Coles Central?

I can’t read that article as you need to subscribe. Are these stores intended to be a bit more upmarket? To compare it to an IGA it just makes me think it is smaller. Although the one thing I like about IGA is that they have a lot of brands of things that you would never find in a woollies or Coles.

It’s taking on the IGA and Foodworks styleid sized offerings often found at the base of apartment buildings. Sightly upmarket, ready made meals etc. If you’re in Melbourne, think Leo’s, Boccacio’s, Piedemonte’s etc. Another is being built in Kew.

There are quite a few Romeo’s IGA supermarkets around Sydney now. They seem to be more upmarket and hipster. Originally only in the city, inner city but now spreading to the inner west, southern and northern suburbs.

ETA: Just had a look at their website and they also have some Romeo’s Foodland supermarkets and Romeo’s Cellar shops.

Coles Local has a bigger store size than Coles Central. It is not only more upmarket than Coles Central but also sells localised products that you can’t find in a normal Coles supermarket.