Sunrise

Nat’s voice again heard finishing the date after the Qld overlay on the 6am intro.

Wow that’s a flashback!

1 Like

Well done to Peter Ford for initiating this site for messages of support for John Farnham. He mentioned on Sunrise yesterday that he had approached other morning tv identities who all jumped on board.
Great work everyone!

6 Likes

She and Pell both have a lot to answer for. Both rabid self-promoters who seemed to think they were bigger than the show.

2 Likes

Come on, that’s a bit much. Pell led the show successfully for years and Sam was a ratings success on weekends and weekdays, and then left at a time of her choosing.

Sure she’s outspoken, but she did the job she was paid to do.

1 Like

I don’t doubt that for a minute - after all, he wouldn’t have been in the job for as long as he was if he were crap.

My point is that for someone who was ostensibly a behind-the-scenes figure, he was in the press almost as much as Kochie and Sam (and Mel). Why is it that we all know who Michael Pell is, but no one knows the name of Today’s EP, or the EP on The Project? Because they don’t promote themselves anywhere near as much as Pell did.

Paid to bash Labor and praise the LNP? I don’t think so. Maybe I’m old fashioned, but I prefer my breakfast hosts to remain neutral.

4 Likes

Half the ABC is paid to bash Liberal/National. I don’t know why everyone takes such offence by someone being more conservative.

By the way, the LNP is only in Queensland. Apart from when Covid hit, I don’t think Sam had much interest in the LNP.

And I’m not quite sure that many people know who Michael Pell is. People in media, yes. Perhaps people in the Sydney social scene. I think you’re overstating his profile.

Fucking lol. ‘Paid to bash Liberal/National’. Then why did an ABC News presenter get reprimanded for having a Twitter list entitled ‘ALP thugs’? How do you explain people like Leigh Sales, Annabel Crabb and David Speers?

Don’t get me wrong - if, say, Kochie was constantly bashing the Libs, I would say exactly the same as I have said about Sam. I want media that doesn’t take any side - left, right, centrist or whatever else. I want the news. Don’t tell me what to think - just tell me the facts, and i can make up my own mind.

All right, the Coalition, then. It’s essentially the same thing.

That is my point - no one knows who he is, so why is he always having stories printed about him in the Daily Mail and so forth?

1 Like

I kinda find that hard to believe especially since the ABC’s got a number of (obviously) right leaning personalities and has been pilloried for being too biased towards the Coalition by the loonies on the internet. Makes the ABC seem fairly balanced doesn’t it?

PVO on 10 hasn’t been spared either for showing his slightly conservative opinions. It’s not like Sam’s the only one targeted because she as a journalist became too editorial which wasn’t her role. She didn’t take the government to account for their bungled COVID-related stuff yet she continued to push a ‘Queensland bad, NSW good’ agenda just because they locked them out.

Come on, ABC has had a reputation for being ‘lefties’ since the dawn of time. Have you ever watched Q&A?

Loonies on the internet will be outraged by anyone who doesn’t act or sound like them.

Anyway, my point was why the disdain for Sam just for being conservative… when there are plenty of cheerleaders out there for Labor. Lisa Wilkinson for example, who has never copped the same criticism Sam did, save for her bungled Logies speech.

1 Like

It’s pretty widely accepted. There was a story not so long ago about the ABC News director telling staff they pander too much to the inner-city left wing elites. There’s no denying ABC has a reputation for it.

Q&A is a dumpster fire 90% of the times. Not exactly the best example to demonstrate ABC’s political stance. Insiders and The Drum have right wing guests regularly.

As for Sunrise and Sam, the problem again is Sam isn’t a guest sprouting what she thinks, she’s a host that should’ve guided the discussion in a balanced manner. Journalists are meant to be impartial and sometimes it means they have to keep their thoughts to themselves on news programs. Sam is conservative? Fine but no one wants to hear about what she thinks when they tune in for the day’s news.

If she wanted to take shots at Queensland and Victoria then Sky will surely be welcoming her with open arms.

Well I don’t agree. I think there were plenty of people who liked what they heard with Sam hosting the show.

Sunrise has been on a downward trajectory since she left. Sure that may have happened anyway, but there’s no taking away from her record as being number 1 for her tenure. People liked her.

They did. And during the early days of covid many in Qld changed their opinion.
Anyway, whatever happened, Sunrise needs to rebuild in Qld, more specifically in Brisbane. Sunrise still rates well outside of the metropolitan area I understand.

Chris Reason at the desk at 6am with Nat and Kochie to discuss the Dawson murder verdict. Excellent work.
Edit: Reaso was back again at 6.24 to talk to Kochie.

5 Likes

During the 7am intro today Kochie was cut off saying the date.

Actually it was already on a downward trajectory before she left anyway. Clearly you’re a fan of hers so you would be thinking she had no fault of hers even though her editorial stance has turned off Queensland viewers (I mean, how else could Today have won Queensland in 2020 and 2021 after dominating there for many years).

Sam might think she’s been censored but she’s delusional if she thinks bashing Queensland and Victoria was ever going to garner their support over her cause.

1 Like

Sam had to go… Sunrise was losing Melbourne and Queensland due to her last year. Unfortunately, her running commentary (in 2020) was not well perceived by the pubic.

1 Like

4 Likes

Yeah late 2019 was when the show started to go down the drain.

3 Likes