Sunrise

Sunrise breaking the cleo news

6 Likes

So now we know how Sunrise handles breaking national news with respect to the Queensland local inserts. The programs goes live to Queensland (plus nationally) and the inserts are dropped. I suppose there’s no need for local live news if the national news is live.

2 Likes

I agree with this. For two and a half hours, they covered nothing other than the news on finding Cleo. Sure it was breaking and finally a good news story but Sunrise is usually big on offering variety. Some of the decisions today were a bit uncharacteristic for Pell.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I thought that they had the time difference and a local edition already established that they could have utilised for such rolling coverage. Then provide some other content for the national audience.

Not really. Sunrise has always had a bad habit of focusing on the one story for most of the show, whether it’s Bert Newton’s passing, Prince Philip’s passing, Libs Leadership Spill in 2018, cyclones in QLD etc.

3 Likes

I think that sunrise wants to shake off the Sydney, centric feel and by trying doing coverage of Cleo Smith they want to show the audience that they just don’t cover big events on the east coast but around the country.

2 Likes

I’ve had both Seven Perth and Sydney playing all day since I first heard about Cleo and I was actually surprised how much coverage this had in Sydney.

Sydney had multiple news flashes with Ann Sanders across the day and they gave Cleo most of the Sydney morning and afternoon news.

After airing Sunrise live for the early morning, Perth got a short window of live local coverage from 7:00am (when Sunrise ended in the east). That lasted around 20 minutes and then they went back to 3 hour old Sunrise and The Morning Show which effectively repeated everything aired earlier.

The next local update in Perth wasn’t until the morning news at 11:30am which was the regular 30 minutes compared to an hour in Sydney. The Perth morning news also covered other news so it wasn’t all about Cleo.

Perth broke in for McGowan’s press conference but that was the only news flash I saw all day.

I fully expect Perth’s afternoon news (coming up in 5 mins) and the 6:00pm news to give this a lot of coverage but that is normal for a big story in WA.

Sydney definitely went all in today. It was nice to see them giving a WA story so much attention for a change but I was surprised at how much time they gave it.

Not complaining, just some observations.

Edit: Perth’s afternoon news moved on after 10 minutes.

9 Likes

Well written, you hit it right on the nail.

1 Like

This wasn’t just most of the show- they literally did nothing else. Not even a single news update.

Re. Pell, I wasn’t just referring to the rolling coverage. I was talking about Sunrise being live in all states (they always hesitate to do this), the bland presentation and the bizarre decision to repeatedly interview the same two guests. Perhaps Pell was away. It just felt like they were too worried about what was happening over the fence than sticking to their guns and delivering a decent product for their audience.

This isn’t just a WA story… but a National/Internatinal story. It’s the number one story in all markets. Of course a National breakfast show is going to cover it, why wouldn’t they?

3 Likes

Normally anything that happens in WA is lucky to get a mention in the east (border bitching excluded).

I agree this was a big story but I was surprised Sunrise gave it almost the whole show, and most of the morning and afternoon news as well. I wasn’t complaining about that though. Just surprised.

6 Likes

I live on the east coast, I’m not surprised at all.

If I was a news director, I would have thrown everything at it. Every news bulletin in Melbourne/Sydney have this at the top of their main bulletins, along with all national programs.

If there is a large news story in WA/Perth (and it’s warranted) it will be covered. We haven’t forgot about you.

Heck if the borders were open, I would expect Nat or Karl to be flying in for this.

6 Likes

Agreed. If borders were open Nat would be 100% there tomorrow

7 Likes

What happened in Brisbane today when Sunrise finished?

1 Like

I could be wrong but I think I saw something mentioned in another topic that Brisbane took Sunrise, The Morning Show and the morning news live and then did a local morning news to fill in the time difference.

3 Likes

I remember seeing this earlier and thought Kochie was giving Matt the finger. Probably not wise to hold a pen like that :wink:

11 Likes

Sharyn Ghidella presented a local bulletin to fill the gap.

8 Likes

There is a new pack shot for the promo endtag, back walking the streets of suburbia.

So, so much better. Should’ve dropped the formal attire though.

13 Likes

Saw that last night. Agreed, looks good but the suits look out of place.

3 Likes

Couldn’t they find a footpath that was level? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

Lol that looks terrible.

What on earth is the dress code.

8 Likes