Sunrise

Kochie and Nat are fully vaccinated not sure whether Eddy and Beretts are

2 Likes

Matt Doran’s presence on the weekday show continues to expand. This morning, he got to interview former PM John Howard.

6 Likes

I know this was a long time ago but could he interviewing John Howard be because of that rather rude joke that Kochie did on John Howard years ago?

13 Likes

Howard and Kochie never spoke face to face since that joke

13 Likes

It’s all SUNSHINE AND LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL for NSW whilst it’s all DOOM AND GLOOM for Victoria this morning :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Doran is clearly being established as Kochie’s successor when that time comes. Great choice.

4 Likes

Seen this morning:

17 Likes

(Jeremy Clarkson’s voice) Woooooow!

What are we meant to be seeing?

I think he’s referring to the backdrop spread out across the screens. Looks nice and clean if you ask me.

Not sure why some are against these graphics. These were WAY better than the last iteration. The only thing I want to mention about visuals is that the backdrop for Martin Place looks extremely blurry in comparison. Either they get a new camera (which they probably won’t since they’re moving next year) or just use the generic backdrop.

Nat and Matt would make a strong duo.

6 Likes

It’s good that you can’t see the outline of the individual screens that make up the full screen unlike Nine’s 6pm news in Sydney and many ABC broadcasts. I always think the screen outlines look dreadful. Using a green screen background looks way better in comparison.

2 Likes

Could that be down to ABC / Nine buying cheaper screens or is it the layout with curved screens.

1 Like

Nine News Adelaide also has a similar problem, especially when the skycam is showing a night view. You can see a faded grid pattern seemingly overlaid onto the image.

2 Likes

Change of tactic this morning in regards to their reporting on Melbourne.

10 Likes

Good. Now they can do the same for Queensland. Perhaps some positivity might rub off if Sunrise were to be supportive of that state.

In hindsight they should’ve sent Sam Mac or JT to Queensland for 6 months and have them resonate with the audience there. Seems like that was mighty helpful for Today.

2 Likes

I believe Sunrise’s ratings were improving at the start of this year, but since June they have taken a dive in Melbourne and now Brisbane. Having your presenters locked away in Martin Place just helping the national program.

With so many different situations unfolding in every state at the moment, it might be worth Sunrise introducing local news inserts into Melbourne and Brisbane. Producing a national product in this current market is very difficult.

All three east coast cities are in different situation.

2 Likes

Adam Boland was onto that years ago. He was just about a decade too early.

5 Likes

I agree. I think if they want a point of difference, local news inserts are the way to go.

1 Like

How feasible would it be for Adelaide to introduce local inserts? They’re already producing local morning news, and some of those stories would likely be repeated on both programs anyway (like some stories are repeated for afternoon and evening news on Seven and Nine).

It just seems more warranted now to cater for local news inserts… as every city is currently in a different position with Covid.

2 Likes

I’m uncomfortable with this notion that a news program should be ‘supportive’ of a state/territory for a) Ratings considerations and/or b) The sake of it. I say that because it’s an untenable position considering there’ll be times where a program has to be critical of what a state/territory does (eg; when a ‘bungle’ has been made or there’s problems) and/or ‘hard-hitting’ (eg; when a Premier/Chief Minister is being interviewed).

Am I suggesting Sunrise (particularly Sam Armytage) didn’t go ‘too far’ at times over the past 18 months in how they covered/reacted to how certain states have handled COVID? No. What I saying is the way programs like Sunrise cover/approach stories should be based on the merits of the story - not ratings considerations.

5 Likes