Sunrise

Pell and Sam need to be moved on, they’re tanking the show after 15 years of success riding on other peoples coat tails.

7 Likes

Why is she even on this show? She should stay on Sky where nobody hears (or cares) about her opinions.

I can understand people saying that Sam needs to be moved on, but I’m not sure why lots of people seem to want Pell gone? He is obviously doing something right if Sunrise are winning the ratings most of the time.

Because his show is boring and he allows the talent (as you mention) to be the way they are.

They’ve had a lot of polarising people on that segment but she has to be the worst.

Sunrise was just 7,000 ahead of Today in the 5-city ratings.

Today won along the east coast. Today had more viewers in Brisbane than Sunrise had in Melbourne. News Breakfast won in Melbourne.

5 Likes

He also pushed Mel on for his mate Sam, and hasn’t innovated the show at all during his tenure. Adam was always innovating and keeping the show fresh, he’s failed to do that. He’s also overseen the show take a really bad tabloid right wing angle when the show used to be a lot more welcoming and open in the old days.

8 Likes

Funny how the decline coincided with the departure of Mel Doyle from the network. Probably just a coincidence.

6 Likes

Perhaps it’s time to give Sam the Mel treatment. Just like when Mel was dumped the ratings were very close and increased when Sam joined. Sam can be dumped and get Nat onboard (or if she doesn’t want it, Kylie Gillies) to replace her. Ratings will probably go through the roof.

If Sam is dumped/resigns some time soon, the challenge will be to find someone who works well with Kochie. As I’ve said before, I don’t think Kochie and Nat would be the best duo, personally I’d find it a bit boring, but that’s just my opinion.

But in saying that, I do want Nat to become co-host, and I reckon with the staff Seven have at the moment, she would be paired up well with Matt Doran. I think Nat and Matt compliment each other quite nicely and you can tell that Matt has a genuine appreciation for Nat when watching them host together in the past. Eddy could continue to read the news on Mondays & Fridays, and Angie Asimus could read the news Tuesday to Thursday, so she could still do Sydney’s weather on Fridays and Saturdays.

I’d also have Beretts co-host Weekend Sunrise with Mon, and he can also do Seven News Sydney sport on Fridays & Saturdays, so then Matt Shirvington can be made sports presenter for (weekday) Sunrise.

Again, this is just my opinion, and I respect that we all have different opinions and contributions.

1 Like

As per the ratings article, it looks like News Breakfast has gained massive popularity in Melbourne. Huge numbers.

It sounds like the comments Sam is making are ridiculous.

This is real bad.

3 Likes

I remember reading somewhere that when Boland left he backed Pell confidently. Not sure if he should’ve been that confident with him with the way the show is going these days.

1 Like

I don’t know Mons circumstances but I think she’s a good fit with Kochie. The right balance of humour and serious news. She’s also an entrenched member of the team.

4 Likes

Could this explain why Sunrise won last week in Sydney by 6K, while Today won the other two east coast markets?

1 Like

Monique most recently gave birth in 2015 IIRC which would make her youngest child 6 years old next year, so then with all her children supposedly being in school next year, perhaps it might open the door for her to return to full-time work. I assume she currently spends her week as a mother caring for her kids, and her only work is Weekend Sunrise.

I agree, she and Kochie work well together.

2 Likes

People in Melbourne and Brisbane don’t like Sam Armytage, in central Sydney, ranting about their state government’s responses to the pandemic…blind Freddy could see that coming!!!

2 Likes

Boland did also describe Pell as more tabloid than him. Which has DEFINITELY been the case!

Sam’s BFF’s with the EP, she won’t be going anywhere, unless it’s off her own making.

A lot of viewers on social media are fed with Sam’s comments too.

Would we see Mel chuck a tantrum like a child as much as Sam does? No, because Mel has class.

4 Likes

The other thing with Sam is, you just know she’ll come out attacking those who are ‘attacking’ her on Twitter etc.