Sunrise

Understandable.

Alison did so behind the scenes to remove Pauline & co and then with the anti-masker. So OK for Alison not OK for Sam.

That’s just called being a journalist with ethics

Ah so the double-standard. So its more disagreeing with opinion rather than the platform. Interesting we always mention names who should host shows not cause of their skill but personality and ability to pull an audience, yet when they do and can - if their opinion isn’t what meets yours then you rubbish them.

Sam is probably my favourite host around the 3 breakfast shows.

The drop in ratings is likely due to poor viewership the night before and the schedules changing. More people working from home or not working means more sleeps ins. Nobody wakes up to watch Sunrise if they can sleep in instead.

1 Like

Sounds like you’re happy with a double standard if it suits you.

I don’t like commentators masquerading as straight journalists, period. I don’t like Sky for the same reason, I won’t watch it. To be fair I don’t watch breakfast TV so I’m probably irrelevant but I’ll put my view forward on here.

1 Like

I think given Boland left TEN YEARS AGO that Pell has more than proven himself capable or steering the ship for the last decade of dominance in ratings etc. Whether he is the right person for the job for the next 10 is certainly a valid debate but I think its veyr short-sighted and incorrect to call Pell a failure by the standards set by someone a decade ago.

7 Likes

How much longer does Kochie have with Sunrise before it’s time to hang it up? I don’t think they should leverage the next presenter on how well they fit with Kochie unless he’s going to be around for another 5+ years.

What exactly new has he done though? Maybe I’m being unfair, but he hasn’t exactly innovated, he’s largely overseen a continuance of the the same cast and formula, albeit adding a lot of sensationalism and tabloid angles, and veering into stuff like having Hanson and Prue on to ruffle feathers.

2 Likes

He’s signed until at least 2022 IIRC.

Agreed. He hasn’t innovated the show at all. Probably the biggest thing he did was the 5 countries in 5 days thing.

As mentioned on the TVBB Podcast this week, Pell is a bit stuck. Normally if the ratings were falling, he’d throw a big Sunrise Concert or send them on a big OB like the 5 countries thing. But because of COVID, that isn’t possible at the moment…

3 Likes

Does anyone know if they are allowed to have artists perform inside the Martin Place Studios, like they’ve done in the past? So they won’t have to hold it outside at Martin Place then.

The only problem would be crowd control, because depending on who the performer is, they may have hundreds of people pressed against the windows wanting a slice of the action!

And the small issue that unless the artists are in Sydney, they can’t travel to the studio…

1 Like

Well protesters weren’t allowed to protest last month so I doubt a concert would be allowed.

Well in the meantime whilst there are no concerts, perhaps it’s time for Kochie to pull out the microphone again?

5 Likes

No thanks, Kochie just can’t sing!

1 Like

…before the audience moves on!
My parents have always been Today viewers but my siblings and I, and the now-adult grandchildren, have always been Sunrise viewers and fans of Kochie and co.
This morning my phone was going crazy as messages were going back and forth about Sam and her rants.
Even the diehard Sunrise fans are tuning out.
Really sad to see the show I once regarded as essential morning viewing go down this track.

5 Likes

They just had a preview of Sunrise on 7 news at 6.50 with Mark Ferguson saying “here’s a preview” then going to Kochie and Sam. Is that new? 7 getting nervous?

2 Likes

Someone posted this in another thread. Must be new this week.

They were doing it last year and the year before I think. With the ratings low, they’d be just looking back at what was working and where they just got lazy/complacent.

Sam was much better today. They didn’t cover anything to do with the virus or borders in Hot Topics. Refreshing.

4 Likes