Sunrise (2015-Sept 2020)

Daily Telegraph reporting all the important issues. I am sure Mark Beretta will be essential as well in Olympic Sunrise.

Interesting confessions by Sam about the ratings too in the linked article:

Good God. What a ridiculous article.

2 Likes

This is an occasion where I don’t share the outrage about a ‘celebrity’ story. The Zika virus threat has been incredibly well documented over precious months, in fact over the past week one North American study recommended the Games be postponed over it. It’s made some top Olympians from around the world seriously consider if it is worth attending given the proven links to deformities in children. It seems right then that The Daily Telegraph would ask about the plans of one of TV’s most recognisable faces. Sorry guys, it’s fun to jump at the tabloid nature of some of these articles but on this occasion they have a valid angle.

7 Likes

I agree with what you’re saying. I didn’t find the article tacky like some of the other puff pieces the Tele like to do on media personalities. Truth is the virus is a real threat in that region, and I say good on Sam if she chooses not to go.

I must have interpreted the article differently. IMO, the bottom line of the article is not about raising awareness or highlighting the facts about the Zika virus but to create controversy that Samantha Armytage is going to have a baby.

Information about Olympic Sunrise:

I’m not sure how how a female having a baby is in any way controversial or how you got that from the article.

[quote=“OnAir, post:1146, topic:69”]
I’m not sure how how a female having a baby is in any way controversial
[/quote] Never said it was (BTW, not every woman will/want to have a baby). The Daily Telegraph likes to write articles about Samantha Armytage one way or another. And going by Sam’s Instagram, she doesn’t seem to give the article credit- except for creating ‘chatting’.

[quote=“OnAir, post:1146, topic:69”]
how you got that from the article.
[/quote] For a start the headline is created in a way so people will click and read it- the word Zika or virus don’t apperar. And then about 75% of the article is about Sunrise, Today and Samantha Armytage. And only three sentences in the entire article, other than Sam’s quotes, talk about the disease. The article is based about Samantha Armytage not about the virus.

That’s how headlines work dude. Whether they be in news print or online. They are meant to draw the reader in to the article. While it was implied she was pregnant in the headline I don’t think it was over click baity, ‘You won’t believe why Sam Armytage isn’t going to Rio’ could have done that.

It’s still in the gossip section so it makes sense for it it focus on Armytage. The Zika virus has been covered well elsewhere and of course the focus is going to be about Armytage given its placement. The reader isn’t interested in the history of the Zika virus but what Armytage’s reasoning is.

4 Likes

Something is in the waters at Brekky Central as Sally Bowrey announces pregnancy.

Yes the Zika virus is a serious threat but using Samantha Armytage as the poster girl for the article? Ridiculous. Focus on the athletes. The Telegraph has repeatedly written crap about Armytage. This is more about “Sam wants a baby” than the Zika virus.

3 Likes

You can read Sam’s version on her Instagram account

Indeed. Anything that The Daily Telegraph/Sydney Confidential writes about Samantha Armytage needs to be taken with a grain of salt for obvious reasons.

That latest one isn’t as bad as many of the articles that a certain other columnist from the same outlet (some of which make you wonder how the columnist in question hasn’t been sued for defamation by Armytage yet!) has previously published, but it’s still hardly anything that the general public particularly needs to know.

1 Like

She is quoted in the article. The article is in a gossip section, this is not the sport section of the general news section where you would expect to find stories about athletes deciding to go to Rio. The Daily Telegraph may have written some things about her previously, but it’s a rare case of the gossip section actually having something well written and interesting, along with quotes rather than conjecture.

Yes she has written an Instagram post about it. Clearly it was leaked from someone inside 7 so she decided to go public about it. (Or Seven’s PR team supplied the paper with quotes)

2 Likes

Perth News

3 Likes

Whoops… Saw a Perth promo with the old logo :confused: I’ll try to get a picture of it if I can.

Saturday (21.05.16)-Sunday(22.5.16): Weekend Sunrise will be broadcasting from the Kimberley this weekend. Sally Bowrey is holding the fort at Brekky Central.

2 Likes

Saw something about “Two people found dead at Campsite in Townsville” written on the ticker at the bottom of Sunrise this morning.

This actually happened about 75km away from Townsville. Definitely not “In Townsville” like Sunrise is saying.

Sunrise is like road kill at the moment. Staring at headlights clutching for straws. For a couple of years they have evolved from being the inovator to being the copier. Content is king and a staple diet of news and “entertainment” repetition every thirty minutes to money giveaways just does not stack up anymore.

HOW MANY TIMES CAN YOU RUN A NEWS STORY EVERY THIRTY MINUTES, THEN HAVE THE HOSTS COMMENT ON THE STORY EVERY THIRTY MINUTES, THEN HAVE POLITICIANS OR SOCIAL COMMENTATORS COMMENT ON IT TWICE DURING THE BROADCAST

And there news bulletinns is not really news. It is based principally being able to cross live to reportors twice in the first three stories no matter how unnewsworthy the story is followed by a political cross and it seems they are also obcessed with the Royal Family. Add in the cash cow and there is not a lot of time left.

5 Likes

Well said however it is much better than what they had at the start of the year. But we should note, Today is not much better. Sunrise is more tabloid and focus on entertainment whereas Today is more current affairs and lifestyle stories- both style that aren’t too appeal TBH.

Monday (23.05.16)- Wednesday (25.05.16): Sam and Kochie are doing entertainment in place of Eddy.

I turned the TV on this morning and accidentally left it on 7 and Sunrise. It began with some holiday giveaway/competition, then there were the news headlines, then it went to the Cash Cow. The competitions don’t interest me and the news seemed very quick (weather was dragged out and wasn’t funny) so I switched to ABC. Sunrise has simply lost the plot! I think it’s moved so far beyond being a news programme now or maybe I’m just older now and not into it!

2 Likes