Sunrise (2015-Sept 2020)

Sally Bowrey has joined Weekend Sunrise as entertainment presenter (similar role to Eddy during the week)

2 Likes

Angela Cox is co-hosting for “6 months or so” while Monique is on maternity leave.

5 Likes

Some observations after the week…

• Still love the set. Fresh and looks great on screen. Camera work also been top notch.
  • Graphics, I liked them at first but now that I am used to them I think they work very well and are quite polished.
  • I was not a Sam Mac fan going into this (and I am far from starting a fandom) but I think he has actually done quite well this week. Better than I expected.
  • Eddy’s new role probably needs a bit more specification though I get the fact that she wanted to stop the travel and this is probably a happy medium as the shows “everything” presenter.
  • News, sport and weather needs to be every half hour. It is so important that remains consistent from my point of view.
  • Angela Cox really impressed me on Weekend Sunrise.

Something I have been thinking about… Sunrise (and 7 actually) have a plethora of excellent female presenters who can fill in/take over. Sunrise has Nat, Eddy (i’ll add Angela to that list now too), Bec etc. There is an issue I think of male succession (not that I am saying Kochie is going anywhere). I love Larry, but not on weekday Sunrise. I love AOK on Weekend Sunrise, but again, not on weekdays. Beretts does a pretty good job but they don’t really seem to want to use him. I think in the next few years this may start to be somewhat of an issue. Anyway, just a thought.

2 Likes

Sorry but the massive banner looks terrible and the blue/black looks horrible. Today looks professional in comparison.

1 Like

Could there be tension between Sam and Eddy? http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/morning-shows/sam-vs-edwina-sunrise-chief-hoses-down-talk-of-battle-of-blondes/news-story/10ac62940e89837f560e00f036b448f4

what a sexist headline.

there just seems to be too many female presenters on Sunrise at the moment… I can t keep up!

[quote=“inthewild, post:529, topic:69, full:true”]
Still love the set. Fresh and looks great on screen. Camera work also been top notch.
Graphics, I liked them at first but now that I am used to them I think they work very well and are quite polished.
I was not a Sam Mac fan going into this (and I am far from starting a fandom) but I think he has actually done quite well this week. Better than I expected.
Eddy’s new role probably needs a bit more specification though I get the fact that she wanted to stop the travel and this is probably a happy medium as the shows “everything” presenter.
…Angela Cox really impressed me on Weekend Sunrise.
[/quote] Well said @inthewild.

• Angela Cox was exceptional and I hope she gets a permanent role of presenting some time soon, great addition.
  • Both Eddy and Sally’s roles are honestly a waste, not very clear of what they do.
  • Set looks great, although I think Weekend Sunrise should do the whole show from the second presentation area, seen post 7.30 during the week. The lighting on Martin Place seems to be okay at 7am, anyway.
  • Sam Mac did a excellent job last week and really like the idea of the dares, maybe that could continue with the viewers sending in requests.

[quote=“inthewild, post:529, topic:69”]
Something I have been thinking about… Sunrise (and 7 actually) have a plethora of excellent female presenters who can fill in/take over. …There is an issue I think of male succession (not that I am saying Kochie is going anywhere). I love Larry, but not on weekday Sunrise. I love AOK on Weekend Sunrise, but again, not on weekdays. Beretts does a pretty good job but they don’t really seem to want to use him…
[/quote] I was actually thinking the same thing, and Nine is the same. I think more than ever that AOK and Larry will not be suitable for Sunrise as now the hosts are also doing news stories. I think Beretts is a really good host, but for some reason they have really limited his use of the years.[quote=“inthewild, post:529, topic:69”]
News, sport and weather needs to be every half hour. It is so important that remains consistent from my point of view.
[/quote] Exactly right. Adam Boland said that one of three of the most important structures on breakfast television is news EVERY 30 minutes, right on the top or bottom of the hour without a fail. I understand Boland isn’t the EP anymore, but I truly think he is a television genius.

Weekend Sunrise this morning: Not sure if it was permanent or just a mistake ( a few errors to be adjusted. Obviously the crew for W.S. didn’t attended rehearsals.), but there was no personalised V/O, only, " Live from Studio 52, this is Weekend Sunrise." The format also hasn’t changed very much at all, so different to Sunrise new format, also with news, sport and weather every 30 minutes on the hour. As announced above, Talitha Cummins is 14 weeks pregnant and with a quick calculation, when Cummins begins her maternity leave, Monique should return.

Right on cue the Armytage feud rumours surface and the Bath Vader tale gets another run. Yawn.
Edwina would be well aware talking to Pell about his bestie is a waste of time.

2 Likes

I’d like to know what the real story is behind The Daily Telegraph constantly attacking Samantha Armytage. It really looks like a vendetta.

1 Like

There was an article in the Courier Mail one day this week about that exact topic…A shortage of male news presenters and reporters.

It’s Annette Sharp to be precise. She slams Armytage every chance she gets.
There must be some truth to the stories or Armytage would have sued her by now.

I know someone who worked at a rival breakfast show. I have heard way worse stories about the behind the scenes sagas there, yet those stories involving male producers, hosts, weather men and reporters never get any press.

Why is there so much coverage of scrag fights, real or imagined? There has to be some history here though. Otherwise, why would Sharp be constantly bagging her and writing these stories?

My guess is that people read them. The site stats for News.Corp must show that mouse clicks will come if they put up such a story.

You think so? I have a feeling there’s more to it. Like Sharp possibly has a history with Armytage and/or Pell. Failed attempt at a career in television or was a rival for a job.

Traffic maps of metro areas showing where jams are. And travel times. And cameras from the road authorities. Actually help people navigate the traffic so instead of saying “The M4 is jammed up” say something like “The M4 is a crawl from Parramatta to the city. If you get of and take Parramatta Road you can save at least 10 minutes” and put travel times up in graphics.

give me a good traffic report (like the video example), reliable news on the top and bottom of the hour (and not at 2 minutes past or anything… make it dead on time) and serious reporting during the bulletin (don’t give me puff pieces on dogs water sking or some crap)

i spent 5 months on student exchange in canada at the university of waterloo, with a population of just under half a million in it’s metro area.

we had this for breakfast tv. the reports seemed reliable. it was disappointing to get back to aus and the same old rubbish. Give me a serious news programme with comprehensive traffic and i’ll be a happy boy

Wouldn’t be surprised if Sam and Eddy addressed it on Monday. They have a habit of doing that.

Have to agree with comments above tho - still not much going on in the Eddy (and now Sally - who thought she’d be good in that role) roles. Not sure what the fix is tho - other than eddy (and now Sally) shouldn’t be at the main desk - anytime.

So Nelson was on the show on Monday talking about the SAG Awards but hasn’t been on since. What is his actually role now does anyone know?

Hopefully as small as possible.

It looks like his role has been reduced to appearing weekly instead of daily.

1 Like