Sunday Night

Wasn’t Charlie on Interview with Andrew Denton recently?

The story about the Ötzi Iceman is equally out of date.

Angela Cox tricked by con man.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/current-affairs/what-i-saw-was-compelling-sunday-night-investigates-energy-healer-charlie-goldsmith/news-story/6b9a9a1b0e2e091ae618b69124b1b3a5

1 Like

Quite disgraceful that a major network would use its supposed flagship current affairs program to promote and effectively endorse an individual who makes such unsubstantiated claims.

This program is fast becoming the dumpster fire of Australian journalism.

8 Likes

Sunday 8 July at 8.20pm

AFRICAN GANGS
Barely a week goes by when there’s not a report in the news. African gangs running riot, terrorising, robbing, wreaking havoc. Yet we live in such politically correct times that, in Victoria, police have been loath to admit there’s even a problem. But there is. Just ask Melbourne widow Elaine French – she’s been robbed by armed African criminals not once, but twice. Not surprisingly, Elaine is deeply traumatised, but she’s also very angry and has bravely decided to speak out about these lawless thugs. Sunday Night’s Alex Cullen reports.

DEATH FROM ABOVE
It was a bolt from the blue. One minute the sky was clear… the next a violent electrical storm swept across the outback. Newlyweds Jess and Antony Van Der Meer were out hiking along Kings Canyon in the Northern Territory when the storm appeared without warning. There was no time to shelter before the lightning struck. And, in an instant, Antony was gone. It seems such an inconceivable tragedy, yet around the world deadly lightning strikes happen dozens of times a day. And as Steve Pennells reports, with our changing climate, these so called ‘Acts of God’ are becoming more common than ever.

Note earlier start time.

Why? Something to do with Ninja?

Alex Cullen is hosting this week, Mel is on holidays.

4 Likes

The Cullen haters won’t be happy.

They must have had a late change to the lineup, usually they would prerecord these weeks when Mel is away.

Or they should’ve had Angela Cox hosting.

1 Like

Tonight’s show will be interesting, a lot of negative backlash online about the major story on African gangs tonight.

Both African gangs and violence against women are serious crime issues which need to be raised. People who protest against tonight’s episode do not realise the danger these gangs pose to local residents.

4 Likes

So where’s the Sunday Night special about white, middle class men who attack their partners?

Of course there isn’t, because this is the network that gave airtime to a neo-Nazi. Once again, this is just kowtowing to a racial dog-whistling that we see time and time again both within the media and the broader political sphere.

7 Likes

Indeed it’s been a major issue here in Melbourne for a long while.
If you live in Melbourne and read newspapers and watch news bulletins you will be aware of the problem.

2 Likes

I suspected that story would result in a lot of negative backlash on social media after reading the press release for this week’s edition of Sunday Night.

Although I don’t have any problems with Max Koslowski and Junkee putting their spin on the social media commentary (IMO the issue of domestic violence deserves more mainstream media attention from all outlets, not just Seven), there’s something I’d like to point out about their article…

No doubt the recent Barnaby Joyce interview was very controversial broadcasting by Seven & Sunday Night, but despite being the same program how could that be classed as potentially racist broadcasting?

As for the “African Gangs” story expected to be shown tonight, I personally won’t be watching it myself but instead of complaining on social media where Seven can easily ignore peoples tweets and messages, wouldn’t it be a better idea for people to write/phone/email Seven directly or if they’re unhappy with their response, to Media Watch, ACMA and the other relevant authorities?

I’ve seen more mentally ill people going around the streets riot then these ‘gangs’.

Also, just a insider note. Seven can be in very big trouble as they showed the face of a minor accused and are most likely going to use it tonight.

1 Like

Funny though how its basically one newspaper, one radio station and commercial TV news bulletins.

The most recent time I felt unsafe in Melbourne was when a white person threatened to smash my head into a hand basin in a shop whilst I ordered a banh mi. Sure, probably if his guts on ice or something but that’s no excuse. The shopkeeper said he hangs around constantly, but never does anything wrong. Hmm.

This SN promo art least is most definitely a dog whistle.

4 Likes

Asian gang crime in the south western suburbs of Sydney used to be a huge problem. Current affairs shows were constantly running stories on it and debating immigration policy. Discussing it openly and police task forces focusing on it seemed to alleviate the problem. It baffles me that people want to ignore the African crime gang problem in Melbourne and not attempt to find ways to manage it.

3 Likes

Because the problem is overstated… Crime has gone down overall and it’s probably a ploy to influence civilians to vote for Guy at the election.

Anyways, here are some things to look out for tonight to see what clauses in the code Seven have breached.

3.2.1 In broadcasting a news or Current Affairs Program, a Licensee must:

a) not include material which, in the reasonable opinion of the
Licensee, is likely to seriously distress or seriously offend a
substantial number of viewers, having regard to the likely
audience of the Program, unless there is a public interest
reason to do so; and

b) include a spoken warning before a segment that contains
material which, in the reasonable opinion of the Licensee, is
likely to seriously distress or seriously offend a substantial
number of viewers having regard to the likely audience of the
Program; and

3.3.1: In broadcasting a news or Current Affairs Program, a Licensee must
present factual material accurately and ensure viewpoints included in
the Program are not misrepresented.

For the purposes of ‘naming and shaming minors under 15’

3.5.2: For the purposes of clause 3.5.1, a Licensee must exercise special care
before broadcasting material relating to a Child’s personal or private
affairs in a report of a sensitive matter concerning the Child.

However,

3.4.3: Current Affairs Programs are not required to be impartial and may take
a particular stance on issues.

Will be interesting to see how the reaction is.

1 Like

But there is still enough of a problem with disaffected youths and a solution still needs to be investigated for the safety and well being of those youths and other citizens.

4 Likes