State/Territory Politics

No decent policies of their own so just attack the leader and hope something sticks?

7 Likes

Yeah but I don’t think constantly attacking them fruitlessly and aimlessly is going to do major damage. If anything Labor could just fire back and it could be more effective.

3 Likes

The problem with any advertising, not just politics, is that if it becomes only about deriding your competitors then that can backfire and makes you look bad.

3 Likes

I think the only strategy they have is a generational change, clear the decks and parachute in a new class. There is no baby in the bathwater worth saving with the current bunch.

I wonder if Josh Frydenberg loses his federal seat, will he lead the VicLibs in November? He seems to be very engaged with pre-selection at the moment, and Tim Smith’s seat is vacant.

I would not like that, but it would make for an engaging election.

2 Likes
1 Like

Could be a test run before the federal election too.

1 Like

Unlikely for several reasons, the cost alone would be huge and different voting systems mean a longer count for the federal election would be two big ones that spring to mind. Oh and state and federal electoral commissions aren’t exactly known for working collaboratively.

Edit: the almighty has spoken, it can’t happen.

https://twitter.com/AntonyGreenElec/status/1484394195670671363?t=e7zKglcvT5u3aphan3UdMA&s=19

Still, hopefully the AEC is looking at how this goes.

Given the pandemic isn’t going away anytime soon, the federal election will need plenty of pre-poll and postal votes.

The biggest issue with those votes has been that the AEC doesn’t start counting them until after all the votes cast on election day; they should change that convention and start counting them as soon as polls close.

If there (as I’d expect) a record high percentage of pre-poll & postal votes for this year’s federal election, it will be interesting to see the difference in how the votes cast before election day differ from on-the-day voters.

(Perhaps I’m falling into stereotypes but) I suspect the anti-vaxxer & associated types who down-play the pandemic should be far more likely to both vote for right-wing candidates (ONP/UAP/LNP) and vote in-person on the day, so waiting to count postal & pre-poll votes may result in a misleading trend early on.
If it turns out this way, it’d overturn who pre-poll & postal votes usually favour (in the past postal votes have favoured the LNP).

Depends if the coalition gets back in, and is insistent on pressing on with US style voter suppression going forward as they were threatening to do last year (in the sense of Voter ID and potentially restricting postal / absentee voting to some degree).

Correct, they’re doing worse :joy:

Lol, the idea Chris Minns would romp home if the NSW state election were held today is astounding. That is by far not the case, unlike VIC and WA.

1 Like

Good. Why should he get special treatment? Toughen up princess.

LOL when has that ever occured in Australia?

“Mr Palmer argues comments made by Mr McGowan in 2020, which included calling him an “enemy” of the state, damaged his reputation.”

Palmer’s reputation went down the drain many years ago.

Plus, we know how well Palmer’s case against Friendlyjordies went and he called Palmer far worse than an “enemy”

1 Like
1 Like

If that does happen there is nothing wrong with that. I see nothing racist or discriminatory about that. And I am a black person for god’s sake. Again all hysteria from your favourite news source - ABC. :stuck_out_tongue:

What’s the reason for doing so? Fraud? Ok, with what evidence?

Voter ID is a solution to a problem we don’t have.

3 Likes

LOL.

It’s a blatant attempt at voter suppression copied from the USA; as @Nick said there is no evidence of illegal voting.

Presumably the LNP believe it is more likely to disenfranchise people more likely to vote for their opponents.

I guess you don’t remember that “Papers please!” was a hallmark/meme indicative of a totalitarian regime like Nazi Germany & the Soviet Union, so why should we demand identity papers when there’s no legitimate reason to do so?

Morrison should be trying to solve actual problems instead of inventing ones for partisan political reasons.

4 Likes