State/Territory Politics

I had no issues filling it out online.

Wasnt hard in some locations either, lots of people werent allowed to leave the house!

America also doesnt have overlapping electoral commissions.

1 Like

The only reason the USA can have local, state & federal elections simultaneously is because they’re run locally/by each state; it’s also the cause of some of the biggest problems, including inconsistent rules, voting machines, the ability of the party in power in a state to change those rules to shift election results (gerrymandering plus worse).

Let’s keep the simple, and secure paper ballots Australia has, and separate elections run by independent electoral commissions.

6 Likes

Not to mention deliberate voter suppression.

2 Likes

’Gladys told me’: Hadley’s bombshell leak:

The NSW Coalition are self-destructing themselves? Grab the popcorn, this will be interesting…

State election in March next year. It’ll be 12 years since BoF defeated KK in a landslide by then.

Vic Libs have a lot of work to do if they want to win the next election, or at the very least, pick up a few more seats. If I was in charge of their media, I’d be advising them to start running ads on TV to get the highest possible audience ASAP. I don’t think the general public appreciate Vic Labor’s social media operations and Daniel Andrews micromanagement of his work. The Vic Libs need to do their hardest to rip apart Dan to show the public that they shouldn’t vote Labor back in. Even something like a series of cartoons called ‘What does Daniel Andrews do behind closed doors’ would be worth a try. They could show things like him throwing Jenny Mikakos under the bus, the increasing debt levels under his watch, Adam Somyurek saga and Dan not wearing a mask when outdoors. These are just ideas for how Vic Libs could attack Vic Labor and are not necessarily my opinion.

How about how Daniel Andrews saved the state?

2 Likes

Vic, NSW and SA Libs are dumpster fires at the moment, their respective Labor parties won’t have a hard time.

1 Like

Exposure is not the problem, during lockdowns, people were glued to state politics and they have all the free publicity they needed. That was when they were at 12% approval.

That’s the exact type of political bickering they have been pushing, no one wants to hear it in the middle of a pandemic, it only endears people more to Daniel Andrews. They need to present themselves as valid alternative with ideas and policy platforms.

2 Likes

The Vic Libs only have 310 days to change, but that’s highly doubtful.

3 Likes

It’s amazing how the Libs haven’t capitalised at all. Clearly the change of leader has done nothing to their fortunes, even with Guy and his less bombastic approach compared to his first stint.

1 Like

NSW are not in that same position as VIC and possibly SA.

Poll after poll has clearly shown that you’re in the minority there and a significant majority of Victorians actually quite like Andrews and his work. Go up to anyone in the street and it’s highly unlikely they’ll even know who Mikakos is and the only thing they know about Somyurek is that he’s dodgy and Dan booted him out of the party.

Given so many polls in Victoria have now said the same thing, it seems Victorians are happy with Andrews and his government’s agenda and that they’re smart enough to know mistakes will happen during a pandemic like Covid. Also the opposition’s shrillness has only shown how unfit for government they are and how they don’t reflect the values Victorians care about. Eg how the Libs hung out with the freak show of fringe far right protesters outside parliament before Christmas

6 Likes

Motoring gags probably not a good strategic move given a prominent Vic Lib, shadow AG no less, literally drunk drove a car into a house.

Again probably not a wise strategic move given that federal debt under the Liberals has also reached new highs

Clutching a bit at straws there.

I would say the general public don’t give a toss about Vic Labor’s social media. All governments and political parties as with any large organisation have heavy social media operations. What’s the point of this?

5 Likes

LOL if these are the best ideas you can come up with for their media operations (aka actually mocking Labor) then they really are a lost cause.

The fact of the matter is Victoria Labor isn’t perfect but even at their worst they’re still better than the lousy Liberals at their best who only knows how to fire blanks when even Blind Freddie could see what’s happening better than they are. I can bet that if both parties were placed in one situation where they have to get out of it Labor (regardless of whether Andrews or Merlino or whoever leads it) will find the right solution whilst the Liberals will just whinge it out.

Victorian Liberals have no idea of an alternative form of ruling. They only know how to whinge and whinge and whinge. Matthew Guy (and their whole party) should really take a good look at themselves and appeal to the wider population not just the right skewing faction of Victoria.

5 Likes

The VicLibs need to take a look at Massachusetts. One of the most progressive states in the US but they elect republican governors. They’ve only had 1 democrat governor in the last 30 years.

You cant win in Victoria with a standard conservative agenda, and definitely not one that strays into the far right. They need to go Moderate. I would consider voting liberal if they put up someone like Stephen marshal. Ie a moderate with his head screwed on. Victoria is going to need some fiscal restraint in the coming years, but that requires a lot of trust that it will be done in a fair way.

The bickering and unprofessional-ness that the liberal party has portrayed in the last 2 years just make them a non-starter for voters.

5 Likes

I think it’s come to the point now where Vic Libs have no choice but to try tear apart Dan and advertise all his short comings. That is why they call them the opposition at the end of the day - they need to oppose. Give people reasons to not vote Labor and look at the Liberals instead.