State/Territory Politics

Qld LNP is not much better. Crestafulli has no name recognition and te spectre of newman will haunt them for a long time.

i am going to assume given you have an internet connection and some device to post here you are at least upper lower class, if not middle class.

this voter ID law will primarily affect lower class where the $73 charged by the Qld govt for a proof of age card (for example) could be the difference between having food or not, and that is assuming they have all the documents required. Not everyone has a birth even registered, let alone another $51 for a birth certificate.

in the 2016 federal election, 18,000 people were registered to vote twice. thats about 120 per seat on average, but when investigated the majority were found to be AEC error (names marked off twice)

Australia’s voting system is world renowned - as a matter of fact, the secret ballot is also known as the Australian Ballot and the AEC is often asked to assist in elections using the australian system in other countries.

there is no need for mandatory voter ID. all it does is inconvenience people for no real benefit to the electorate (only to the Libs)

5 Likes

Apologies for the paywall, I’m some of you subscribe. But I bet Jeff didn’t see this coming when he created the criteria. :joy:

I dont see how you can have voter suppression via voter id and compulsory voting - they’re basically incongruous positions.

1 Like

NT News reports Alice Springs Mayor Matt Paterson sent a letter to more than 40 of Australia’s most influential politicians last night, in a desperate plea for help take back control of the spiralling rates of crime facing the town. The recipients included Prime Minister Scott Morrison, Opposition Leader Anthony Albanese, Minister for Indigenous Australians Ken Wyatt, Education Minister Alan Tudge, the four NT Senators and NT Chief Minister Michael Gunner.

The full letter:

1 Like

The idea is that POC and disadvantaged communities are less likely to have government-issued ID, which prevents them from voting even though they’re citizens or permanent residents.

In theory, voter ID laws are not racist or classist. But if you know your electorate has a sizeable chunk of people who are less likely to have ID and don’t vote for you, you can rig the results in your favour by purposefully excluding said voters.

Also, how do you think voter fraud is discovered already? Voter registers already get checked in some jurisdictions, making voter ID unnecessary.

2 Likes

Hmmmm…if he wins, that would be his tennis broadcasting career over.

Just like John Alexander who won the federal Sydney seat of Bennelong in 2010.

1 Like

VIC Libs seem to have gone all out getting former / current sportspeople as candidates.

Outside of Nine’s coverage, does he do a lot? Like travel on the tour like say Fred Stolle did for years?

If he is pre-selected, it’s a seat the Libs should win back from Labor but no guarantees with how they’ve performed lately.

Sounds like she’s getting nervous.

Worth noting Gladys Berejiklian resisted these calls while she was NSW Premier.

Meanwhile, the Opposition Leader Chris Minns remains adamant this has been Labor’s longstanding position.

Why do we need to have both the national and state flag on the Harbour Bridge anyway? Why not just fly the state flag somewhere nearby?

So he’s changed his mind from two weeks ago?

Flag protocol

4 Likes

Recognising the Aboriginal identity with that flag would be awesome for me.

Has any politician thought of trying to see if combining both flags into one would be another way?

1 Like

Without opening a huge can of worms I agree combining the flags is the best way forward, although they will also need to incorporate something from the Torres Strait Island flag too.

1 Like

The newest flags of the Northern Territory and the ACT, they both have the Southern Cross on the left and then a State emblem on the right. Maybe a new Australian flag could combine the Southern Cross And Aboriginal flag in the same way.

nt-flag
act-flag

4 Likes

Has anyone seen the lastest tv ads for Matthew guy?

I’m biased because I’m happy to vote for Andrews, but keen to hear what others think.

When I see them it looks like a parody, is he trying to come across as a used mattress salesman?

I have seen it. I think it’s laughable. “Let’s unite Victorians, no more division”, yada yada yada.

From the ‘guy’ and the party that has spent the last two years doing exactly that.

The problem is there would be both Indigenous and white Australians who would see it as a bad idea.