State/Territory Politics

Separate from the Federal Politics thread for obvious reasons

https://twitter.com/mikebairdMP/status/738215341713592320

Very interesting.

Certainly will provide some ammo against those News Corpse writers who claim the ABC is full to the brim with leftists!

1 Like

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews now faces a difficult decision: whether to approve a wage deal between the United Firefighters Union and the Country Fire Authority. The CFA board has rejected the deal which could see the UFU having a say in decision making, banning its members from taking orders from volunteers, and a set minimum number of paid firefighters at major incidents. Volunteer firefighters (there are 60,000 of them working for CFA) fear they will lose out under the wage deal as it will give the union too much power. This dispute could tear the CFA apart.

Surprised to hear this morning that NSW Premier Mike Baird has resigned. He has only been in the job for less than 3 years! (He has been in politics for 10 years) I can’t remember a NSW Premier in recent years who has served a full term.
One of his greatest achievements was the start of several infrastructure projects in Sydney including the light rail extension, the Sydney Metro and NorthConnex. However he will also be remembered for introducing lockout laws which reduced violent attacks in the Sydney CBD and Kings Cross, but also caused several hotel and nightspots in Kings Cross to close due to lack of business.

I was surprised at this too. Either a bid at federal politics or maybe another expenses scandal?

There was no scandal, Baird said he wanted to retire from politics.

He’s also taken a major battering last over of the Sydney lockout laws and proposed greyhound racing ban

The scandal was bowing to pressure from Alan Jones to reverse the greyhound ban, and the perceived interference in ICAC by requiring the commissioner to reapply for her job which led to her resignation. Baird had a good couple of years but then tainted his reputation.

Gladys Berejiklian will become the 45th Premier of NSW after being elected unopposed as Liberal leader in a party room meeting early this morning, with Finance Minister Dominic Perrottet was voted in as deputy party leader. Both were voted in unanimously.

Just another One Nation candidate quits in disgrace

Is that the same bloke who yesterday mounted the weakest defence on Twitter regarding abducting Aboriginal children? I get my One Nation resignations mixed up.

1 Like

Sort of state politics:

Bit of a surprise in the by-election for Ipswich Mayor with Cr Andrew Antoniolli having a clear lead on key rival and favourite to win Acting Mayor Paul Tully.

Victoria’s Minister for Family Violence Prevention Fiona Richardson, aged 50, has died one day after announcing she was taking more time off after being diagnosed with multiple tumours.

Victorian Employment and Industry Minister Wade Noonan has announced he is leaving politics for family reasons. He will continue to serve in State Parliament until the next election in November next year, to avoid the need for a by-election in his Williamstown seat.

Tip is for 25 November.

Here we goooo

ALP election TV advert airing this afternoon.

My only reactions to it were, “She’s obviously NOT a cricket fan” and “I don’t care who wins as long as I get my sausage”.

Lidia Thorpe has become the first Indigenous woman to be elected to the Victorian State Parliament, with the Greens winning yesterday’s by-election in the lower house seat of Northcote in Melbourne’s inner north. Since the seat was established in 1927 it had been held by Labor.

Voluntary assisted dying has passed the Victorian Upper House. Very proud to be a Victorian.

1 Like